Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-04, 15:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 188/181/145 Female 5' 5
BF:way/too/much
Progress: 16%
Default HELP - Falling off the wagon....need advice!

I can't stop picking. Little bits here and little bits there. So far haven't gained any weight...but haven't lost any either. I've gotten lazy and not sure how to jump start back to where I need to be.

I've never been good at planning snacks and stuff like that. Up till this point Atkins has been a breeze. I'm definately loving this way of life, and believe me I've definately changed my eating habits. Its just that I'm hungry all the time. Especially at work. I've read posts on that I should always have snacks handy, etc. I know what I'm supposed to do.....the problem is doing it! Any words of wisdom? Words of encouragement? Words of advice?

At least I know I'd be good at maintaining my weight. But darn it.....I WANT TO LOSE 20 MORE POUNDS!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-04, 15:40

Plan: Atkins 72 Version
Stats: 175.5/123.5/115 Female 5'3 I grew an Inch!
BF:??/21%/19-20%
Progress: 86%

I have days like this too.

Best thing to do is bring those snacks to work! Eggs, peperonies, cheese, some fresh veggies with ranch dip.

eat more then 3 times a day will help
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-04, 15:49

Stats: 265/247.5/145 Female 5'4.25"
BF:50%/46%/15%
Progress: 15%

Oh boy do I know how you feel. Before I started dating my fiance, I didn't have this problem. I lived alone and I kept those tempting foods out of my house. Now with him visiting constantly and bringing his own treats, my cupboards have change. They now have chips and pies and for goodness sakes, WHITE BREAD (he and I actually had a discussion over the lack of nutritional value in white bread)! So I have to fight my urge to dip into his food. But I just think to myself, its not worth the recourse of having to gain weight from cheating and then lose it again. I'm a loser now and I want to keep it that way. Like you I only have 20 pounds to go. We can do this, the finish line is almost there!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-04, 17:08
Registered Member

Plan: simple low carb :)
Stats: 165/157/150 Female 67"
BF:Have a boyfriend!
Progress: 53%

I would recommend one of these books:

Living the Low Carb Life- Jonny Bowden
The Secret To Low Carb Success- Laura Richard

I find that reading books about my way of life helps me stay on track.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-04, 20:08

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I find reading all kinds of posts here on the forum, success stories, journals all help me to stick on plan. If you happen to have a friend who is LCing, call them!!!

Also, make sure you're eating a satisfying, filling meal at breakfast, lunch and dinner, and make sure you're drinking your water. If you go to pick, consciously STOP yourself. If you've already put it in your mouth -- spit it out!

When I'm tempted to cheat (and I have given in to the temptation, believe me ), I ask myself -- "is it worth it? That bit of food kicking me out of ketosis, possibly derailing me for who knows how long?" and the answer is 99 times out of 100 -- NO!!!!

Good luck to you and keep coming back to the forum and reading!

Nicole
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-04, 21:56

Plan: LC
Stats: 200/000/000 Female 5.5
BF:
Progress: 100%

quote:..."I know what I'm supposed to do.....the problem is doing it!.."
.....try to work on that...you are the only one who can do that...and it takes time........no magic here....
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-04, 22:26

Stats: 221/200/121 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 21%

I try to remember what brought me here in the first place. What I want is stronger than what I have (depresion and self lothing vs. energy, wellbeing, self esteem). I actually started this WOE over a year ago & slid ALL the way back to where I was, needless to say here I am again wondering what drove me back. All the "little slips" added up in a hurry. You've already come so far, and doing fabulouly. Do induction again if necessary.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-04, 22:27

Stats: 136/129/118 Female 5 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 39%

Head down to the supermarket and buy 2 of their bbq chickens. When you want to pick at food, make sure you are eating the right things, and if you happen to have already cooked chickens in your fridge, than you won't be tempted to eat anything else! And don't feel bad if you eat the whole chicken, cuz you can. I eat whole chickens all the time
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 08:00

Stats: 169/132/132 Female 153 cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi

Take it slow! I need to get back to Induction (gained 7 lbs) and it took me four days to reduce my carbs...

First 40g, then 30g, then I got to 20-25, and yesterday was also 20-25g. It takes a bit, but you can do it!!

Mary
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 08:18
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 223/190/160 Female 5ft8
BF:OUT OF CONTROL
Progress: 52%

Ya know how people get rid of their "fat clothes"? Well I kept a big pair of pants and have it hanging right in my face when I open my closet.. Made my dh snicker. As for snack mode. I keep 3 ziplocks of "legal" munchies. Problem is kids usually get to it before I do.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 10:30

Thank you everyone for the wonderful advice. Your words were very inspirational for me. I've got to remind myself that this is what I want and I should do everything in my power to see its done.

My new challenge starting today..............QUIT PICKING AND GO BACK INTO A CLEAN INDUCTION.! (and keep lots of APPROVED snacks on hand so I don't get too hungry and eat the bad ones, )
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 12:18

Plan: Strict Atkins
Stats: 290/195/150 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 68%

do you have room at work to store snacks? That might help out if they are always there in case you need one.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 12:41

Stats: 327/309/175 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 12%

This sounds weird, but it works.

Find a picture of yourself at your highest weight. The worse the picture, the better. Make copies and put them on your refrigerator, in cabinets, in your desk drawer, in your car, wherever you are looking to get "cheat food."

Knowing that cheating often can take you back to where you once were might make you think twice.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-04, 07:38

Well I did it......I took everyones advice. And now today, only two days of being good, I've lost a pound. WOOOHOOOO! I have been in a stall for way over 6 weeks. I know it may not sound like much, but it sure has given me the incentive to keep going. THANKS EVERYONE!
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-04, 21:47

Stats: 250/188/140 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 56%

I plateauted from about nov to march. I broke my stall by prepping for an upcoming trip. maybe you can find something to work towards? maybe having a party at yourplace for memorial day weekend and having something FAHBULOUS one size smaller that you want to wear. keep it visible and remember that every time you want to cheat. I almost gave into some donuts, but I wanted to look good in my new vacation clothes and didn't give into the temptation. I had cheese insead.

Also be sure you're eating enough. that will help a lot in curbing desires to cheat.