Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-09-02, 07:29

Plan: restarting Protein Power
Stats: 185/?/147
BF:
Progress: 63%
Question Do you think GI makes a difference?

I now have a copy of Dr Leeds "The Glucose Revolution". Now I'm not about to ditch my low carb diet. Sure, the Glucose Revolution makes wild claims, for example, it says that sugar doesn't cause diabetes. And it lists some sources, but unlike Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution, sources are not referenced in the text. So I would take any claims that Glucose Revolution makes that directly contradict Atkins with a bit of a pinch of salt.

That said, a low-carbohydrate isn't a no-carbohydrate diet. I seem to have seen some good reasons to believe that there are several other things beside carbs alone that contribute to insulin resistance (such as chromium deficiency, magnesium deficiency and nicotine), so the idea that GI makes a difference sounds plausible to me too. And this doesn't seem to be a million miles away from the Protein Power idea of deducting fibre from carbs, it generally seems that the kind of fruits, vegetables and nuts that Protein Power suggest you can eat now and then also tend to be listed as low GI foods in Glucose Revolution.

Anyone know any more about this subject? In particular, does anyone know if there are more comprehensive GI factor listings for vegetables and branded products anywhere? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-09-02, 16:23

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: Do you think GI makes a difference?

Quote:
Originally posted by squidgy
In particular, does anyone know if there are more comprehensive GI factor listings for vegetables and branded products anywhere?

This is one of the most comprehensive G.I. Lists around. Keep in mind that only so many foods were 'tested' so there is no 'every food under the sun' list available.

G.I. List at Mendosa.com

As for the Eades and Protien Power - this is what they have to say in their online FAQ about the G.I. value of foods :

Quote:
In your program, do you look at the glycemic index of foods, that is how much they raise blood sugar levels?

No. The glycemic index does not compare apples to apples. They compare 100 grams of glucose to 100 grams of apples, but the apples don’t contain 100 grams of carbohydrates. An Insuligenic Index would be more useful, but we use the Effective Carbohydrate Content of foods. This helps people choose healthier foods without worrying about the idea of a good or bad carbohydrate. It directs people away from potatoes and wheat, and towards vegetables, melons and berries.

HTH
Nat
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-10-02, 14:52

Plan: restarting Protein Power
Stats: 185/?/147
BF:
Progress: 63%

Thanks. Hate to have to point it out, but what eades says about how GI is worked out isn't what glucose revolution says - it says that 50 grams of glucose is compared to 250 grams of potatoes, because a potato is 20% carbohydrate.

But hey, I think I've been reading too much into the idea of GI as it is. Thanks for the info though.