Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 14:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 206.2/196.0/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 15%
Unhappy Darn, I must be allergic to wheat!

I'm so bummed. Yesterday for the first time in three months I ate something with wheat in it. I had a Subway wrap. On the inside I just had turkey, cheese, lettuce, bell pepper and mayo. All those things I've had all along on Atkins without issue. Well this morning I had gained 2 lbs! I didn't change anything except that wrap, and I'm sure it's the wheat in the wrap. I know it's just water, but I'm bummed because it cuts out all the low-carb breads for me. I suspected that I had a wheat allergy before doing Atkins because every time I'd eat pasta or a sandwich, I'd be really bloated within an hour or so of eating it. I guess it's true. What a bummer!

Anybody know of some good low-carb breads that don't contain wheat?

Bonnie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 14:41

Stats: 170/???/135 Female 5 foot 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

It may be the gluten in the wheat that is the culprit. The bloating sounds typical of a gluten intolerance.

I think those who have gluten intolerances eat things like rice breads but they aren't very lo carb are they?. You may have to some how devise your own recipe with rice flours and nutmeals etc.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 18:18

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

In DANDR it addresses wheat allergies and to "cure" yourself of this, you must banish not only wheat products but also other allowable products like mushrooms. This is a 6 week process and then you can re-introduce the allowables back into your diet.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 21:12
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

That is for yeast intolerences. Someone who is sensative to gluten is a celiac and I don't belive they can cure themselves. Candidia could be the culprite though and in that case the yeast restricted diet in DANDR would help.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 21:23

Stats: 206/183/145 Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 38%

If you look in the recipes section you may be able to find some bread recipes that include things like almond flour, soy flour and oat flour. I think you can get the soy flour isolated type (I recall that meaning they isolate the carbohydrates out of the product or somethin' like that). Hope that helps you
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 03:01

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

You haven't got a wheat allergy you are just holding onto water because you ate some carbs. Don't invent allergies. If you've been eating wheat all your life without a reaction you're fine. You could drive yourself neurotic like this.