Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Dec-27-03, 17:58
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 190/175.0/150 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default Did you stay ~ Induction levels or move up carb ladder?

Very curious to know from all these wonderful success stories how long you stayed at 20g net per day? I read conflicting information on other boards...some say you lose better (faster) staying at Induction levels, while others say you lose better by increasing by 5g daily per week moving up the carb ladder.

What do you think??
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Dec-27-03, 18:42
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Everyone loses differently. Some do lose better at higher carbs. It's not just about how fast you can lose though.

The question with staying at 20g is are you willing to do that forever? If you do 20g until you reach goal then suddenly try to move to maintanance level carbs, you will retain water weight if nothing else.

Moving up the carb ladder helps your body build a tolerence to carbs again. It also helps itentify any trigger foods or food intolerences. Some people can't handle dairy, while others find fruit sets off sever cravings. It's also important to figure out what level of carbs you can tolerate. It's easier to move up slowly, then hit goal and then try to play guess the amount.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Dec-27-03, 18:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 197/187/135 Female 5'4"
BF:Too much!
Progress: 16%

I did not follow the books directions to move up 5g per week, but I wish I had. I currently consume 30-35g per day, and that seems like a lot to me. When I finally stop procrastinating it, I will start moving up 3-5g per week to see what my "balance" point is. I recommend staying with lower carbs until you are close to goal (10-20 lbs IMHO) and then slowly increase them.
Just my two cents.
Leigh
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Dec-27-03, 20:47

Plan: Atkins, now South Beach
Stats: 165/140.6/129 Female 5,1
BF:
Progress: 68%

I try to keep on induction levels most of the days but incorporating other foods than those that are allowed for induction: berries, 1/2 cup of yogurt, ricotta cheese,
watermelon, etc.
Some days I get 30-35 g of carbs.
Isiar
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Dec-27-03, 20:48

Plan: DANDR
Stats: 191/153/145 Female 66.5
BF:
Progress: 83%

I'm still taking in about 20-25 carbs a day, but I have added some yellow vegtables and a very few frankenfoods (Lil Smokies). I tried adding green, red and yellow peppers and onions but suffered from terrible heartburn, so I had to eliminate them. (Hadn't eaten them for years, and was sorry to find I still can't tolerate them.) I doubt I will increase to more carbs until I am closer to goal. And I still haven't made up my mind if I am going to lower my goal weight, either. I really like this WOE and am eating a lot healthier now.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Dec-27-03, 20:59

Plan: Cyclic Ketogenic Diet (Ti
Stats: 212/149/140 Male 5'7
BF:
Progress: 88%

for those wanting to up their carbs... may i suggest flax-plus cereal + soymilk (unsweetened)... each serving of cereal + soy = 14carbs (already taking away the fibre)... a great breakfast!

i'm eating 60carbs a day and losing around 1lb a week... less than 10lbs to goal