Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 20:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 238/234/175 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 6%
Default Anyone experience joint pains?

I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced joint pains on Atkins. I have been lcing since 5/13/03. I take Atkins Advantage, Accel and Essensial Oils as supplements. Since about a month ago I have noticed joint (?) pain in my right hip or maybe it is a muscle or something near my hip. But after sitting for awhile when I get up I have a noticable limp until I get limbered up again. Now I have noticed in my right elbow that I have what I would classify as a joint pain. When lifting something with my right arm alone there is pain in the elbow joint. Could it be a vitamin deficiency? I have my yearly exam on Monday and will ask the dr. I am also having bloodwork done so I am excited to see where I am in comparison to four years ago when I had it done.
Any help or comments are appreciated.
Lori
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 21:57
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Yeah, but I had it before I started the diet. You might just be showing the first signs of arthritis.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Mar-26-04, 07:38

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 149/138/132 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 65%

Hey, I've got exactly the same thing in the hip, thought I had pulled it with the snow blower in the winter. Better now though.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-26-04, 07:57

Stats: 000/000/135 Female 5' 2"
BF:uh/no/thanks
Progress: 0%

I had this pain when I was trying to be a vegetarian. I contributed it to not getting enough protein. Once I started eating meat again, it went away. Are you getting enough protein?
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Mar-27-04, 07:58

BF:

So does anyone think it could be iron deficiency? By 8 pm I can barely keep my eyes open (I get up at 5:15 am and usually am in bed by 10, sometimes 9:30). This pain keeps me up at night because I feel it every time I try to change positions. I eat eggs almost every day so I am not sure if this is enough protein or not. I guess when I see the dr on Monday he can help. This is a new dr that I have never seen before so I am kind of nervous what his reation will be to Atkins.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Mar-27-04, 11:08
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Could it be a form of gout, I wonder?
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Mar-27-04, 15:02

Stats: 174/150/145 Male 5'5
BF:
Progress: 83%

I have experienced what sounds like the same thing. Can not really determine whether its my hip, low back, or in the butt muscles or hamstrings. It started about 2 weeks after I started doing Atkins (mid Jan.) and got tho the point where I went to the doc about it last week. Had an x-ray and it shows nothing. Having a bone scan of the area on Monday. I am now taking 800 mg of Ibuprofin three times a day. It only bothers me when I get out of bed and for about 1/2 mile into my walk. Tightens up again in the evening.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Mar-27-04, 15:31

Plan: atkins
Stats: 225/173/180 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 116%

are you more active than you used tobe..... i have a bad habit of over doing things. hurt my lower back musle
doing squats hurt for two weeks, when i got over that,
did my right knee ( didnt strech before running) about two weeks down. no telling what ill hurt next most of the time i feel great!
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Mar-27-04, 15:55

Stats: 273.5/236.0/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 33%

Great Thread! I have had pain in my knees that wakes me up at night - but does not bother me during the day. It's a throbbing pain but goes away with Ibuprofen. I am trying to figure out if it is food related i.e. monitoring when it happens and checking fit day to see if I can find a correlation since it doesn't happen every night. It's annoying, but not horrible so am going to live with it until my physical this summer.

Let us know if you find anything out and I'll let you know if anything remotely resembling a theory shows up in my personal research

PecanPie
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Mar-27-04, 18:14
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Have you heard of arachidonic acid? It's possible you are sensitive to this. AA is found in egg yolks and red meat, and the sudden increase in these when low carbing can sometimes cause joint pain in folk who are sensitive.

This is the advice given by the Drs Eades of Protein Power:
Quote:
Can I really eat all the red meat and egg yolks I want?

Most people can. However, there are a few concerns to keep in mind. First, you can’t do the Protein Power Plan halfway. You can’t increase your protein foods haphazardly and continue to eat carbohydrates as you do now and expect to see results. In fact, you’ll be worsening your problems if you do so.

Second, there are some people who may have problems with large amounts of red meat and large quantities of egg yolks. These people: have elevated blood pressure and/or cholesterol, retain abnormally high amounts of fluid, and/or suffer from inflammatory conditions such as skin rashes, asthma, allergies, bursitis, or arthritis.

It’s not the cholesterol in red meat and egg yolks that is the problem. It’s the fact that they are high in arachidonic acid, which can promote or worsen the above conditions.

Here is the strategy for these folks to follow: Eliminate red meat and egg yolks from your diet completely for three weeks. At the end of the three week period, take stock of your health. Has it improved? Eat a large portion of red meat and eggs for a couple of meals and observe what happens. If your problems reappear of get worse, you are sensitive to arachidonic acid and should have these foods only once in a while. When you do have them, make sure to remove as much of the fat from the beef as possible. Grill the beef. This will reduce the arachidonic acid by as much as 35%. Another option is to marinate the meat in a combination of red wine and olive oil or light sesame oil for 24 hours before grilling.

As far as eggs are concerned, have no more than one or two whole eggs at a sitting, and eat egg whites the rest of the time. Also, you should avoid margarine altogether (as everyone should).

http://www.eatprotein.com/answers6.htm#6b

HTH!

Rosebud
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Mar-27-04, 18:18

BF:

The pain is not unbearable but it does wake me at night when I get re-situated in bed after moving. Of course, one always worries about the usual "what if it's bone cancer" or something on that order. Two of my brothers had to have hip replacements in their mid-fifties. But I am about ten years away from that age so I am hoping that is not the beginning of that! My brother told me he started noticing the range of motion degreasing. He did not have alot of pain until the later stages. But I am thinking if so many of you have also experienced joint discomfort we may be lacking something. I have not done anything different as far as exercise. But I was doing some staining in our sunroom and had to go up and down the ladder several times and I definately felt it then. I will let you all know what the dr says on Monday. Maybe it will help all of us!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 08:59

Stats: 174/150/145 Male 5'5
BF:
Progress: 83%

Good tip Rosebud. Before starting Atkins I seldom ate eggs as I always felt guilty when I did. I do have two of the conditions mentioned-high blood pressure and high cholesterol. The good news is I had blood tests last week that showed total cholesterol at 277 (down 14%) HDL at 64 (up 30%) and triglycerides at 97 (down 60%) which has convinced me that the plan works. This is about 10 weeks after starting Atkins.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 10:46

Stats: 230/149/125 Female 5feet 2inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

I have been doing some research on flax seed oil. It is supposed to be very good for joint pain and inflamation. You might want to give it a try.