Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-28-03, 09:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 216/206/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress:
Exclamation Osteoarthritis

My mom was just diagnosed with Osteoarthritis does anyone know what supplements would be good to take she has just recently started Atkins again and doesn't want to get on any arthritis meds if she doesn't have to. I hope someone can help! Thank you!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 18:28

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

The most important are glucosamine and condroitin sulphates. They usually come in a combination tablet. Also celery seed. And you can get glucosamine cream to rub on in some places. Ask at a health food store.

Some people like MSM and SAM-e which are also from a health food store. But my arth. doctor (at a major Canadian research hospital and university) was involved in a drug trial and DID NOT like the blood test changes in her patients taking MSM, so she stopped the trial.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 18:36

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

You might want to ask her doctor about anti oxidants. My mother had RA and her surgeon pointed out about 6 months ago when she was really not doing well that if she lived in the third world he'd think she had an anti oxidant defficiency. She began taking more Vit C - 1.5g, 400 I.U. of Vit E and 600mg of ALA (Alpha Lipoic Acid) - her most recent tests show a marked improvement in both her Rheumatoid factor and her ECR (don't ask me what that one stands for!). They have their fingers crossed but it looks like she may be heading toward Remission.

HTH
-Nat
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 19:14

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Could be "extensor carpi radialis" - a measure of one's ability to stretch the hands = joint flexibility

Osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis are quite different things but share many signs and symptoms including pain and inflammation. RA is considered an autoimmune disease while osteoarthritis may be 'wear and tear' on joints or injury but isn't a disease of the whole body. Their treatments are quite different: RA needs very powerful medications like methotrexate, gold and many others. OA needs joint replacement if inflammation and pain control is not enough.

I certainly have reason to be grateful that hip replacement for my OA has given me the best year of the last 15. I can finally walk again without pain.

However, extra anti-oxidants would be a great idea for most people. That is SO GREAT, Nat, that your mother is getting better. Fingers will definitely be crossed for her complete remission. What a wonder that such a simple treatment can have such wonderful effects.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 19:22

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Tof, it is great news - and we believe the added supplements have helped, but she is on traditional meds, like the methotrexate, predinose and plaquenil. She's also taking glucosamine and condroitin for her joints, which were in bad shape because of the arthritis (she's scheduled for a knee replacement surgery and has already had to endure having her rotator cuff sew back together after a fall) However, it wasn't until she added in the vits/minerals that she started noticing a big difference.

It's had other bonuses as well - she now has HDL that's off the charts, LDL well below the desired lowest level, and her thyroid is the normalest it's ever been.

-N
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 20:05
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Exclamation

Glucosamine should be used with caution by diabetics and persons with blood sugar or insulin resistance problems. Studies suggest that it can even increase the likelihood of developing insulin resistance in persons with normal blood sugars.

Quote:
Glucosamine Sulfate : A Popular Arthritis Remedy May Be Linked To Diabetes

by Cathy Wong

Glucosamine is a substance that occurs naturally in the human body. It provides strength, flexibility, and elasticity to cartilage and connective tissue by stimulating the production of glycosaminoglycans, molecules that hold joint tissue together. Glucosamine also decreases inflammation that can lead to joint destruction.

With the potential to repair damaged joints and slow the progression of osteoarthritis, glucosamine has become an immensely popular dietary supplement around the world; in 1999, glucosamine was the top-selling dietary supplement in the United States, with annual sales of US $288 million.

However, a few clinical reports have suggested side effects that even health practitioners were initially unaware of. One woman reported that her diabetes symptoms worsened after taking glucosamine.

Why?

Glucosamine is ten times as potent as regular glucose in causing insulin resistance in animals. It can increase fasting blood glucose (sugar) levels and worsen glucose tolerance.

These side effects occur because glucosamine activates a metabolic pathway in the body that leads to the deterioration of insulin-producing cells in the pancreas and causes insulin resistance, two factors associated with diabetes. Researchers at Johns Hopkins recently found that activation of this pathway, called the hexosamine pathway, causes proteins to be coated in sugar, preventing them from passing along insulin's message to regulate blood glucose.

Many studies have been conducted around the world on glucosamine, yet these side effects have not been noted. It may be that only certain people will react. Further study is needed on the safety of the oral supplement form. Until then, people taking glucosamine sulfate should consult a natural health practitioner.

article at about.com
Judi [IslandGirl] posted the Johns Hopkins Study in our Research forum back in April 2002 ... you can read it here.

Doreen