Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-07-03, 02:24
Too kinky for you

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 265/246/187 Male 176 cm
BF:xxx/27.2/20
Progress: 24%
Default London Metro 7 Oct 2003

On Metro's GOOD HEALTH page:
-----------------------
Quote:
ASK THE EXPERTS
IAN MARBER is a clinical nutrionist and author of the bestseller The Food Doctor In The City. Contact him at www.thefooddoctor.com.
Q: What's the truth about the Atkins diet? Is it really bad for my health?

A: You can't get away from high protein diets at the moment, but it's only recently that the nutrition world has become more vocal about the potential dangers of eating excess protein. While it's true that you can lose weight this way, it's not the healthiest or most long-lasting way to do so.
High protein diets turn the body acidic, and in an effort to make it more alkaline, calcium is taken from the bones. In the long term this can affect bone mass, and calcium has to be excreted and can build up into kidney stones. The same diets are also generally low in fresh produce and thus do not meet the recommended five-a-day target for fruit and vegetables. That means less intake of antioxidants and fibre, both of which are required to combat a number of cancers, especially bowel cancer. There are other ways to lose weight that are not as drastic and have far fewer risks.

----------------------

You know, if this wasn't so tragic it would be funny. Let's contact this "expert" and let him know what we think!

Cheers
S
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-07-03, 04:28
Too kinky for you

My response to him:
Hi

I feel I have to make some comments on your response about the Atkins diet in the metro this morning.
Because I'm not a nasty, cynical person I will assume that you're not going to push your OWN books and products using what appears to be a
public service announcement...
Anyway, you refer to Atkins as a high-protein diet. It isn't, really. I get 70% of my calories from fats... Protein makes up 25% or so.
This kind of invalidates your entire "leaching calcium from the bones" story. Also, the Atkins diet recommends PLENTY of water and also ADEQUATE supplementation. If you're getting enough calcium in your diet,
you're not going to have a problem.
As to your statement that "these diets are generally low in fresh produce"... The question was about Atkins. Not "High protein in general". Get the facts about the question you were asked before you go giving off incorrect information.
For the record, on Atkins, I have eaten more fresh vegetables than ever before in my life. Eaten AND ENJOYED them, since preparing them with high-fat dressings/butter/cream makes them MUCH more palatable.
I get plenty of fibre from spinach, lettuce, cauliflowers, peppers, courgettes, onions, various squashes, cabbage... need I go on? As to antioxidants - well... garlic does it for me!

It's not a "drastic" diet. It is a healthy alternative to the "high carb low fat" that has been shoved down our throats for years. I have lost weight (nearly 2 stone) and that in itself means I'm a lot healthier. My cholesterol figures are VERY GOOD (HDL 1.1, LDL 2.6) after two months on the diet - and I expect them to improve more. My blood pressure was 127/80 at the last check.
I have not suffered a single migraine since I started on the diet (apart from on the 2nd day - which I expected). I used to get them weekly, if not more often.
I sleep better.
I feel better.
I have more energy.
How can this be unhealthy?

Regards
Steven
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-07-03, 04:42
Too kinky for you

Red face

And his response:
"Thank you for your mail"

#4   ^
Old Tue, Oct-07-03, 10:07

Plan: 6 week cure
Stats: 217/183/120 Female 4'11"
BF:Yes, it is.
Progress: 35%

Sinbad, isn't it wonderful how much attention our carefully thought out missives receive from the recipients? My take on this guy (and I could be very, very wrong) is that he KNOWS IT ALL!! and nothing, but absolutely NOTHING is going to change his mind.

The article was hilarious - your response was very well thought out and it deserved a much better reply than you received.

shortstuff