Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 07:32

Plan: Low carb/Atkins
Stats: 230/205/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 31%
Default Scale is moving with Atkins Accel

I've read a lot of posts here from low-carbers stating that Accel was a waste of money. I've been on it for several days and the scale is finally moving. I've been stalled for quite sometime gaining and losing the same 5 lbs. With my last blood work I found that my thyroid was a little low. On the bottle it states that Accel supports normal thyroid function. Could this be kicking my thyroid into gear? Also I read that this is like Trimspa that Anna Nicole lost weight with. I would never take this at bedtime because it does make me hyper. It also takes away my appetite almost completely. I also don't have the urge to snack like I used to. Anyone else have the same experience?

Candyless
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 07:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 151/133/134 Female 5'5.5
BF:Getting better!
Progress: 106%

It really isn't a good idea to take anything that has an effect of your thyroid, these suppliments are know for causing hypo and hyper thyroidism later on down the road. It just isn't worth it.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 07:58
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 100/110/100 Female short
BF:
Progress:

Doesn't Accel have caffeine? I thought we were supposed to stay away from caffeine. But if it's working for you, then I guess it doesn't matter lol.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 08:33

BF:

Yes it does have caffeine. I've been doing Atkins since December 2003 though and just needed something to push me along. Even though I'm slowly losing inches, the scale isn't moving much. I thought since these were made by Atkins they would be okay. Should I stop taking them?

Candyless
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 10:43

Stats: 359/266/174 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 50%

*bump*

I'm interested if anyone has an answer to Candyless's question.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 13:06
Whoosh me baby!

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 276/258/180 Female 66 inches
BF:Yep, gots to go
Progress: 19%

It works for me and keeps me on track. If others can have their caffeine in coffee, I can have mine in Accel. I have energy and no cravings when I pair it with the Dieter's Advantage.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 13:27

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/147/140 Female 5'2"
BF:Haven't/a/Clue
Progress: 82%

I'm sorry to disagree, but this is a personal opinion.

I prefer to plod along slowly, whether it be on the scale or the tape measure.

I didn't gain this overnight, and I'm not going to likely lose it any faster (and then, perhaps I will - depends on how my body decides to respond).

HOWEVER, I WILL NOT take anything that is supposed to hasten the weight loss in the form of a pill or formula. There are a number of reasons:

I prefer not to take anything unnatural that I don't know the long term effects of doing so.

My skin is stretched sufficiently from the extra weight, and losing slowly, hopefully will encourage the skin to also tighten back to where it should be, rather than being left with excess skin flaps.

However, you are entitled to your opinion, and the options that are available to you, if your speedy weight loss is more important to you than the patience required to just keep plodding along as a lifestyle change.

--------
Edited to add:

Contrary to other people's experiences, and perhaps the reason I am so "mellow" about the weight loss progression - I am one of the few who started this WOL for the health benefits strictly. I really didn't even think about weight loss, which is why I didn't even weigh or measure until three months into it.

That is not to say that I have not enjoyed my decrease in poundage, and it probably has added to the health benefits, too - but I was delusional enough to think I "wasn't that much" overweight.

Last edited by cmcole : Wed, May-19-04 at 14:00. Reason: Adding
  #8   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 13:37
Whoosh me baby!

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 276/258/180 Female 66 inches
BF:Yep, gots to go
Progress: 19%

I don't think getting off a pound or two a week is rapid weightloss, and sometimes the only results we hope to have. Personally, I don't want to wait months to see the scale drop-I lose my incentive for giving up carbs. Eating this way just to be healthy is bunk to most heavy people I know-we also want to lose weight, and regular losses on the scale and clothing fit are important to not losing heart. Those of us that are heavier may have a deeper desire for quick results than those closer to a normal weight. Check out the bottle labels-nothing dangerous I can see.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 13:44

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 252.4/171.2/166 Female 66 in
BF:40.74/27.63/25
Progress: 94%

Personally, I think taking the Accel is fine as long as it works for you. If later on you feel that it changes and is actually beginning to hinder your weight loss I would stop.

I'm one to want to lose weight quickly. I'd much rather lose the weight and deal with some excess skin waiting to tighten up than be heavy for longer if I don't have to. Also, I figure any health risks associated with any supplements (most of the ones I take are all natural) would be far less than the health risks I have now because of my weight. I mean.. hey.. I'm 20 years old and was getting heart palpitations every few minutes practically and had a very high blood pressure. Several times I felt like I was about to have a heart attack or something. Now my back hurts less from not having to carry around so much weight and I can do more physically than I could nearly 40lbs ago.

Just my opinion, but I say do what you can to lose the weight. Impatience most of the time leads to cheating. And I can definitely see anyone becoming impatient after several months of the scale barely budging.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 14:25

Stats: 246.8/241.3/175 Female 5'7
BF:WAY TOO MUCH
Progress: 8%

I've had a bottle of the stuff in my hands so many times at the grocery store but I did read the bit on the back of the bottle about thyroid function. I had mine totally removed last year and am on medication... I've always put the bottle back on the shelf cuz I'm affraid of the effects it will have on my "thyroid " levels.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 14:35

Yeah, you see I'm beginning to have thyroid problems.. hypo... and I personally would be concerned about taking Accel before talking to my doctor because of that. So I hear where you're coming from lowcarbjo. If you decide you're still interested in it, just next time you're by the doctor, bring a copy of the ingredients with you and show it to him/her and see what he/she says.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 14:45

BF:

I take Accel, basic 3, essential oils and dieter's advantage all together. I also take a calcium and magnesium supplement. I love the combination of these. I will talk to my doctor because I know my thyroid is sluggish. Even though my results were slightly low, he stated before that it was not low enough to take synthroid.

Candyless
  #13   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 15:17

Yeah, my doctor initially put me on synthroid, but I felt absolutely no difference. Went to see a different doctor in his office and she said that she didn't understand why he put me on synthroid just like that because while my results differed slightly from the norm, it wasn't enough for me to need medication for it yet. We're monitoring it every 6 months now and if it goes any higher I will have to take medication.

Ohhh well.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 12:00

Stats: 246.8/241.3/175 Female 5'7
BF:WAY TOO MUCH
Progress: 8%

I too take synthroid. How long were you on it before you had blood work or something else done to prove it wasn't working? What dose were you on? I was HYPO feeling for years but my blood work always read normal so my GP at the time didn't bother with meds(wish she would have tried). Last year I found a lump in my neck and had 2 surguries to have the thyriod removed due to 2 kinds of cancer. I was made to stay severly hypo for 4 months before I had radiation treatment and started on meds. I know for a fact that it takes AT LEAST 6 weeks before the thyroid levels balance out when you take meds, this includes each time you increase or derease the dose. Just curious to know your experience!
  #15   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 12:02

I was on 85mcg, I think. I was on it for about a year. One month before I went in for a blood test, I didn't take it for the whole month and didn't tell the doctor. And the results came up the same.. so I told the doctor and she looked back at the charts and said I really had no reason to be on it yet anyway. I'll need to eventually, most likely, but not yet.