Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-03, 12:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 232/212/130 Female 5foot 7 inches
BF:44/38/20
Progress: 20%
Thumbs up Starting CALP this week.....

I have been reading CALP and I think with the kids and DH that this plan will fit in better with my life. Also maybe it will keep from going off the plan, knowing I can have the cheesecake if RM if I choose.

I have been reading this Thread and have not found a real answer to this question. How many carbs for the meals other then Rm(which I know is not capped)? I have tried to find it in the book, but have not found anything. I also did not see whereis says that you can eat only up too 4 times per day. If anyone has page numbers that would be great. I will be reading the book from cover to cover over the next week. I only have the CALP book.

I thank everyone for the help. Oh one more thing. At the RM in the book the sample show salad, meat,veggie, carb, and dessert. You can have all that. I thought I was only salad,meat, veggie, starchy carb/dessert.

Well thank you again. LYnn
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-03, 13:56
Registered Member

Plan: Sugarbusters!
Stats: 223/209/150
BF:
Progress: 19%

Hi and welcome...
Im doing CAD which is the older version of the diet. I think on your CM, you just keep your carbs little to none, as low as possible. you really dont have to keep count as long as you are eating off of the acceptable foods list. Since Im on CAD, i only eat 3 meals a day with no snacks so on CALP , I dunno. I think sometimes the Hellers leave you with unanswered questions but what you cant find answers to I think should just be trial and error, finding what works for you. I hope someone else can help you better than me... Good Luck to you!!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-03, 16:39

Plan: south beach (CAD)
Stats: 314/284/150 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:49
Progress: 18%

Welcome-as far as I know you must count all carbs whether from vegies or cheesecake into 1/3 of the meal. I know that I always go easy on other carbs so I can have dessert-but there are nights when the potato wins! Good luck!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-03, 19:19

Plan: Atkins now CAD
Stats: 238/193/150 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 51%

Hi Lynn . welcome to CAD/CALP I think I remember seeing something like CM 8 carbs and snacks 6 or maybe it was 6 and 4 but I wouldnt stress about it to much. Just try to eat off the list and keep the carbs as low as possible. Also I dont eat anything sweet tasting carbs or not because that can also start cravings.

Jaden
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-03, 22:53

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 188/185/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 6%

Lynn,

Welcome to the group, and enjoy your journey!

CALP doesn't limit the number of times you can eat per day, at least in starting out. Option #9 (p256) suggests reducing the frequency of your meals/snacks & eating only when hungry. It was certainly my experience and the experience of some others here that the frequency that we needed or cared to eat went way down.

Also there is no limit to the number of carbs that you can have at your cm or cs - it just has to be from the list. Vegetarian meat substitutes are limited to 4 g carbs per servings, but there are no other specific carb limitations. This is important because when you start shooting for 6g carbs per meal, things like artificial sweeteners and low-carb bars & shakes can easily slide in.

Another advantage to me is that this approach has allowed me to be much less obsessive than other diets, so I really don't stress about these sorts of issues much. This is a relief.

Good luck & keep us posted on your progress!

Lila
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 05:30

Thumbs up Hello All,

Raindropp,Dcbrowne,Jaden,Lila, thank you so much for all the info. I was very helpful.

Do all of you really weigh everyday and average it out at the end of the week? Well off to get something to eat. Talk soon, Lynn
  #7   ^
Old Fri, May-02-03, 20:40

Plan: atkins
Stats: 168/158/148 Female 5'4"
BF:no clue!
Progress: 50%

hi,
i switced to CALP 2 days ago and such freedom i now feel. dinner out with the family is a JOY and the 4 banquets i have in the next 10 days will be a delight !

i agree with what lila said-

Quote:
Another advantage to me is that this approach has allowed me to be much less obsessive than other diets, so I really don't stress about these sorts of issues much. This is a relief.

because even in the past when i was "consumed" with fitday, i could always work the numbers and JUSTIFY stuff. it is such a relief to NOT worry about numbers and ratios. just follow the foods listed for the CM and BALANCE the RM. my understanding for the 1/3 carb should also include your dessert. sometimes its a little out of balance, but TRY!

good luck!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, May-02-03, 20:44

Plan: atkins
Stats: 168/158/148 Female 5'4"
BF:no clue!
Progress: 50%
Default scales

Lynn,
i dont know about anyone else, but i weigh myself ALMOST everday. and no, i dont calculate it out to get an average number for pounds lost.

of course,,,,,,,,IF i was losing, it would be another story!

SOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, May-02-03, 21:32

Thumbs up Kimberlina,

Thanks for the post. I did do the CALP for 2 days, but my cravings where so bad that all I wanted was carbs all day. I do not think that is all cause of the CALP program. It was due to the fact that I had went off of LC for a few weeks and could not get it back under control. I have joined the B2B challenge, which is pretty much all protein for 4 days the 4 week of by the book of your chossen plan. I have decieded to go the Atkins again for the 4 weeks then, I will decided if Iam in more control for the CALP. I too think it will be nice to eat with the family and so on.

Well off to bed. Lynn
  #10   ^
Old Sat, May-03-03, 18:29

Plan: Atkins now CAD
Stats: 238/193/150 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 51%

I would think no matter what plan you do those first three days are gonna suck. withdrawls and cravings and all that.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, May-03-03, 22:18

Plan: Mmmm...thinking
Stats: 224.5/172.8/135 Female 5 Ft 1 inch
BF:
Progress: 58%

My experience when starting CAD was that the first 3 days I had to "white knuckle it"...that is, I was hungry, I wanted to eat my carbs but I just hung on...on the fourth day, the cravings were gone and they haven't come back.

I eat my one or two CM's and then have the RM and I have no struggle with not eating between meals or not eating carbs except at the Reward Meal. It amazes me that it works this way but - it does.

And I weigh every day. That is not new for me with CADS. I have always either weighed every day and worked at losing weight or I went into denial and stayed away from the scales for weeks at a time until I saw 10 pounds or more gain when I did weigh. I think I am addicted to weighing...that high, the anticipation...will they give me a loss today?? LOL