Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-18-02, 11:31

Plan: atkins
Stats: 167/156/125
BF:
Progress:
Default How long can I stay on induction?

I started induction on 2/4/02. I feel great. today marks day 15. I have a trip i'm going on in late April and wanted to know if it was safe to continue induction beyond 2 wks?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-18-02, 11:49

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Greetings!

Yes, you may stay on Induction for an extended period of time. This is explained in the book in several places which makes me ask if you have read the book? If not, you should go back and read it and keep it around for reference - there is a lot of very useful information and suggestions and guidance that you need in order to understand your body's needs and how it reacts and behaves. Having a good understanding of this is pretty important to your final success.

Happy reading!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-18-02, 11:58

Plan: atkins
Stats: 167/156/125
BF:
Progress:

thanks for the reply. Yes, I read the book, to answer your question. I was just wondering if the weight continues at this pace when you extend induction or will It slow down some?
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-18-02, 12:09

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Weight loss will slow after Induction. The upper limit for FAT loss for women is 2 lbs a week; for men it's 3 lbs of FAT. It is possible to lose more weight a week - but I wouldn't a) want to and b) recommend it. You want to lose FAT and not lean muscle.

The losses during induction are typically higher because you're getting rid of excess water along with a few lbs of FAT. Slowing down is both normal and safe. Now you can take the necessary time to learn new behaviours that will enable you to maintain your loss long after you reach your goal.

Nat
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-18-02, 12:10

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

It will almost certainly slow down some.

I know you want to lose that remaining 30 pounds by next Friday - believe me, I know the feeling. But you need to balance a couple of competing objectives. The quicker the weight comes off the more likely you are to really stick with the program until the weight is gone. But the slower the weight comes off the more likely you are to stay at the weight for the long haul - and the better it is for your health as well.

Once you are through your first month, I would recommend adjusting your carb intake upward (per Atkins' OWL chapter) for a safe, sustainable rate of weight loss. Probably something in the range of 5 to 8 pounds a month for you. Keep in mind that even at only one pound a week you are at goal by the end of September!

Focus on getting comfortable with LC as a WOL - otherwise you will go back to your former behaviors and gain it all back (and then some). Truly adopting this WOL takes time and so you WANT it to take at least six months or so to reach goal.

Keep up the good work!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Feb-18-02, 12:25

Plan: Fat Flush Plan (Zone)
Stats: 249/133/115
BF:
Progress: 87%

hi,

I will stay on induction forever, probably, even after i reach the goal, because I cannot have grains, fruits hurt my stomach, and I do not like veggies

according to the authors of the protein power book having low levels of carbs for extended periods of time is healthy.

mila
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Feb-18-02, 13:14

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Quote:
Originally posted by Mila
hi,

I will stay on induction forever, probably,

There is something called the maintenance level of this diet you may want to check into.

It's a little higher in carbohydrates than induction, thereby giving you a more varied list and source of foods. I believe the good Dr has a few chapters of his book dedicated to discussing how one goes about this level of the plan.

Staying at induction levels for the rest of your life is going to get very boring and very tedious to say the least. Why limit yourself to the same menu when you can add a few more carbs back in after you reach goal that will not make you gain the weight back?