Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 10:56
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/244/150 Female 5' 7
BF:
Progress: 6%
Question Having trouble losing--should I take supplements?

I'm having trouble losing on the Atkins plan, and I HATE taking pills, but would taking supplements help me to lose weight? And if so, which ones should I take? I'll be honest...I bought the Atkins Basic 3 and started taking them a couple of weeks ago (my ketone strip was dark purple after 2 days of LCing, then after I started taking the Basic 3, the color was negative for several days), and I quit taking them. My ketone strips returned to pink/purple this week. What I can't STAND about the supplements is that you have to take them 3 times per day!!! I'm lucky to remember to take one once a day--but 4-5 pills 3 times per day???? (I'm talking about adding the L-Carnitine and CoQ10 and others that they recommend to take if you're having trouble losing.) Has anyone had the experience of no/little weight loss until they started taking supplements? Which ones did the trick? I know that I'm following the plan strictly and am wondering what in the heck is going on!! I'm not a yo-yo dieter...in fact, this is the first time I've actually TRIED to lose weight (I've thought about it alot) in 10 years. I'm not on any medications...so what can I do to make this work for me? HELP!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 12:55
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I take the One-a-Day WeightSmart, and an extra calcium/magnesium supplement. I hate taking pill after pill, all day long as well, and I feel these two pretty much cover the bases.

All I can say about not losing is to be patient. Years of yo-yo-ing can really mess up your metabolism, and it'll take longer to see results.

BTW, the strips are affected by some supplements. I've found it's better to continue the supplements and ditch the strips.