Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-14-02, 11:22

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 125/125/125 Female 60
BF:
Progress: 59%
Default Injected Turkeys

I was looking at the turkeys at the grocery store yesterday and found that every single one had the message, "Injected with a solution to enhance flavor". Each one included sugar and food starch in the flavor enhancers. I asked the butcher if they have any turkey without the flavor enhancers, and he said that even the fresh turkeys are enhanced! He then called over the store manager, who very kindly tried to help. He ended up making about 6 phone calls trying to track down a natural turkey. Finally he found a source and ordered several "organic" turkeys for the store. I just wonder how much an organic turkey is going to cost. Someone told me that an organic chicken can sell for as much as $20.

The butcher also pointed out to me that most chickens (whole or cut up) are enhanced, but pointed out a brand they carry that is not.

So...check the labels!

Tami
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Nov-14-02, 12:27
Work In Progress

Plan: G.I. Diet
Stats: 323/284/160 Female 5'3"
BF:Size: 26/24/12
Progress: 24%

Wow...good looking out, thanks!!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Nov-15-02, 08:16

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

FYI...

My local health food store sells organic turkeys this time of year (by order only) and they run from $1.49 a pound to $2.49 a pound, but prices in your area may vary. Considering that I just got an "enhanced" turkey for 39 cents a pound, I'm not going to worry about the few carbs that it might contain. The nutrition information still lists zero carbs for 4 ounces of meat and sugar is the next to last ingredient in the "enhanced solution" (after salt even) ingredients list so the amount is very small. As a matter of fact, my DH forgot to bring it down to the freezer last night so now it's half-thawed. Guess we're having roasted turkey for Sunday dinner!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Nov-15-02, 12:25

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 125/125/125 Female 60
BF:
Progress: 59%

Hmm....this is weird. Your "enhanced" turkey has 0 carbs? I bought a Butterball brand Fresh Breast of Young Turkey, which says "All natural, no artificial ingredients, minimally processed." Yet it lists 1 gram carb per 4 oz. serving! I know we're talking about just a little bit of carbs, but it just seems curious to me.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Nov-15-02, 12:36

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

They are allowed to list it as 0 carbs even if the actual carb count is .90 grams of carb per serving; as long as it's under 1, they can label it as 0, it could have almost a gram for 4 ounces of meat. Another possibility is that Butterball uses more sugar in their enhancing solution than Pilgrim's Pride does (remember, sugar can be called a "natural" ingredient). The brand that I have also does not list any starch in the solution. Check the ingredients list on your turkey (if there is one). You may find your answer there.
Mine says "enhancing solution contains: Turkey broth, salt, sodium phosphate, sugar, flavoring."
Since it's unlikely that I'm going to eat more than 6 or 8 ounces of turkey at one sitting, I'm really not too worried about a couple of carbs.