Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-19-04, 18:27

Plan: atkins ish
Stats: 150/147/120 Female 5'3
BF:NoMore Preggers!
Progress: 10%
Question Hi again.... still got questions about nursing and etc...

Hi all-
I have been doing atkins for over two years up in till I got pregnant with my daughter. I had lost all my weight after I had my twin boys and now I am starting all over again! Oh well. I am still unsure of what I can do while nursing my daughter. I do not want to do the induction and go into Ketosis. I just don't think it would be good for my nursing daughter. That is my most important thing right now!Granted I would like to lose my weight also! My dad who is also doing atkins said that I need to have like 60g of protein but to keeep my carbs down to 50-60g. I also was wondering if any has a prefernece between the keto shakes or the atkins shakes and which ones taste better? I think I would like to have a shake for breakfast or/and lunch. Having three kids all in diapers is time consuming!! So I generally need something quick to eat or I eat junk! Well I hope someone can help me about the nursing issues. I have posted about the breasrfeeding isssues and haven't heard much back yet-Oh well Thanks-
Whitney Mommy to Jace and Jadon Identical twin-4-15-01:rheart
Mommy to baby girl-Skyler 2-28-04 :rheart
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-19-04, 18:31

Talking I forgot!

I forgot to mention that I started working out again! 40 min on stepper and then weights 3x week. I did also work out this pregnancy!!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-19-04, 18:38

Plan: Undecided atm
Stats: 162/000/115 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 345%

http://atkins.com/Archive/2002/10/25-756904.html here is the info for what you need while nursing or pregnant and doing atkins. I am actually pregnant/almost done nursing and have done atkins all along until just this past week and a half. I have been making the switch over to SBD. Goodluck.

Jenn
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-19-04, 18:45

Hi!
I was wondering if you could give me some examples of what you eat for a day? how many carbs? thanks!-whitney-tryiing to write w/1 hand!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-19-04, 18:46

BF:

Also a couple breakfast ideas for when you need to be quick (I have three running around myself) would be cottage cheese mixed with cantaloupe and strawberries, broken up walnut halves or use the cottage cheese, walnuts and apples diced and add cinnamon. You can make a few days worth at at time. Crustless quiche can be made with bacon and tomato, spinach, broccoli or asparagus, cheese of choice (swiss, feta and cheddar are all great) a little half and half or cream. You can split it into 6 slices and just stick one each in a ziplock bag. Set out a couple days worth and freeze the rest just thaw the night before so you can toss it in the microwave. That's at least a couple fast breakfast ideas.

Jenn

You can see everything I eat in my journal. I stay on the high end of the carbs though because I guess I am one of the lucky people that actually can.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Apr-19-04, 18:51

jenn-
it wouldn't let me into your journal-Wow you have three too and your expecting another?? I want one more but Dh says no-at least he says that now! I tryed to get to your journal through the link and it said there was no owner, Thanks
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Apr-19-04, 18:52

BF:

Hit the little green button that says journal, not the fitday link
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Apr-19-04, 18:58

ahhhhhh........THANK YOU!! I mayu use it as guidelines for me if you don't mind-TY!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Apr-19-04, 19:04

BF:

I make sure I post what I eat every day. I was so frustrated in the beginning because NOBODY seemed to have any info on being pregnant/breastfeeding while doing atkins. Nobody had journals or menus for examples and so I thought I would at least keep track in case I ran into others finding it hard as well. I am sure you will have to switch it around a bit because you will notice I am vegetarian (cept for the fish my doctor asked me to eat) but it should at least give you a general idea. I have found that I can pretty much eat as much of the good carbs and still lose (even as high as 100 - 130 net carbs a day), maintain or gain just by adjusting my calories a slight bit. So maybe you will have to find the numbers you can play with in order to lose while nursing.

Jenn
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Apr-19-04, 19:07

Thanks so much!
I am sorry I am bothering you so much- but can I ask you a couple of questions>? What is eziakel bread?Also do you think i can substitue meat for me? instead of vegertain? thanks !
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Apr-19-04, 19:10

Default Last question I SWEAR!!!! :)

HAve you ever used the keto shakes or Atkins? I was thinking that I could use these in the morining when I am rushed! When are you due?
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Apr-19-04, 19:12

BF:

Yes of course by all means substitute the meats you like in place of my veggie meats. Ezekial bread is a really good sprouted grain bread that has no sugars in it. It just happens to be the particular brand that I like. You can find it at health food stores or sometimes in the freezer section if your grocery store has a case for organic foods. It makes great toast!
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Apr-19-04, 19:16

Thank you-I appreciate all your help-I hope that I can stay in touch with you. Since your the only nursing/pregnant mommy that I have found!Take care
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Apr-19-04, 19:17

BF:

I'm due September 17th. We got the ultrasound last week and it's a boy. ((our third boy in a row!!! But at least we have one girl, she is 13 now. I was kinda hoping for another girl in the house, they are so much fun to dress up when they are little but in the end, boys are easier. PMS>>>>>>> need I say more?? LOL My doctor told me to not have any of the protein shakes or bars. She said that they had noticed that women that eat/drink those throughout the whole pregnancy tend to have larger babies. With my history of close to 10 lb babies, I am not EVEN going to take that chance! I have tried the atkins, the canned ones are horrible. EAS makes a good chocolate one. I find it's just as easy, and much cheaper to make smoothies. I use 1 cup soymilk (or you could use the carbcountdown milk, 4oz of vanilla yogurt, 1/2 cup of either blueberries or strawberries (blueberry is my favorite) and 1 to 2 TBL of lowfat cream cheese, 3 or 4 ice cubes and blend in the blender until smooth.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Apr-19-04, 19:29

wow 3 boys!! We have the twins that just turned three and the we have a girl who is 7 weeks old! I love having a girl. I keep telling DH I want more. I would have 6 if we could afford them but I think 4 is a good number for us too! 1olbs!!! That is pretty big babies-By the way what is TBL? I hope this baby won't be over 10 lbs but you know they get bigger every time!