Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-03, 18:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 196/180/135 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 26%
Unhappy New and ready to quit!

Hi everyone. Newbie here.I've been doing Atkins for about 6 weeks now. First I was using a bunch of Atkins products and not losing. So I heard that those aren't good in induction. So I stopped eating them. Still didn't lose. So then I learned that caffeine and nutra-sweet are forbidden and stopped that. Still didn't lose. Then I sound out I could only have 3 servings of Splenda a day. So I stopped eating too much Splenda. Still didn't lose. So then I found out I could only have a few oz. of cheese and cream. So I stopped eating them. AND I'M STILL NOT LOSING! I've lost three pounds total and that was right after I stopped eating the Atkins products. I'm bored and frustrated and angry when I see others losing (my in-laws lost TONS of weight and they ate breaded meat and cool-whip and cheated in lots of ways!). I'm on anti-depressants and am wondering if that's the problem, but from what I can see here, it's still possible to lose while on them. I even went off one of them for the diet. Now I'm just on Lexapro and Lamictal. I even exercise about 3 times a week.

Anyhow, I don't want to quit because I don't know what else I'll do. I'm hypoglycemic and I love not having blood-sugar attacks all the time with it.

Any suggestions out there? Sorry to start out my first post with a rant!

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-03, 19:11

Plan: CALP/Schwarzbien
Stats: 212.5/192/172.5 Female 5' 8
BF:
Progress: 51%

Hi Chryslin,

Welcome to the forum!

Sorry you have had such a hard time losing those pounds, I am also a slow loser and certainly can understand how frustrating this is. The thing is that everybody's body is different and what works for one person, may not work for you or it may work but just take longer. Try not to be too discouraged and concentrate on how you feel. If this WOL is helping your blood sugar levels and making you feel better, then I would say keep it up and I am sure you fill find that you lose pounds along the way.

Also you should take your measurements because you may have been replacing fat with lean muscle which weighs more but is less bulk. You can be losing fat without it showing up on the scale!

Take it from a professional turtle, if you keep up the good work, the pounds will go away eventually. I have lost 20.5 pounds in 15 weeks and even though I had planned on losing 40 pounds in 20 weeks, I know I am moving in the right direction. Better to be losing slowly, than gaining right?

I wish you success,

deb
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-03, 19:22

Stats: 182/147/145 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 95%

Hi Chryslin,

Are you recording at Fitday? http://www.fitday.com It's a big help in keeping track of everything and if we could see just what you are eating, we could probably give you some pointers. It could even be that you're not eating enough (believe it or not!).

Please don't throw in the towel yet.

judy
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-03, 19:31

Plan: card addicts
Stats: 270/270/170 Female 64 inchs
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi ,
I'm new too.
Don't give up yet , keep on trying. I lost very slow at first, the I actually starting eating more meat and veggies , weight started coming off alittle better. I lose about a pound a week but have lost 3 inches from my waist and hips so far. Now people are noticing and thats the best feeling. Try keeping a record of your food , maybe that'll help .
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-03, 19:33

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Very good advice above: don't worry about the number on a rather inaccurate mechanical device if you are NOT having low blood sugar attacks (the quivering desperation to eat something- ANYTHING). I'd bet your blood pressure is already lower too.

You have rather gradually decreased the carb content of your diet so you probably won't see the big losses that Induction brings. Inches are a much better guage of how you are doing than the scales.

The medications will have an effect but NOT a PERMANENT stopper to losing. Be patient and persistent and you will get there and be in better overall health along the way.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-03, 20:01

Stats: 196/180/135 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 26%

Thank you so much for the words of encouragement! It really means a lot. I've tried Fitday rather half-heartedly. I guess I'm feeling guilty and not wanting to do it because I think I tend to go short on my veggies. Bad girl, I know. But they're just not as portable as the protein. Could that be effecting my weight loss? I do agree that I need to get myself to a store and get a tape measure because it FEELS like I'm losing and my husband has noticed a "difference" A

nd yes, I needed the encouragement to remember that I FEEL so much better but DAMMIT-- I'm just dying for a diet coke!!!!!! LOL and I found two gorgeous Atkins induction-friendly desserts - pumpkin and regular cheesecake -- that is no longer induction-friendly when you eat 5 servings in one sitting!!!! So I'm learning the hard way that my body wants sweets NO MATTER WHAT!

Two questions - does Stevia tend to have the same limitations as Splenda in the diet plan and how the heck do I eat the box of flax I just bought?

And should I just stay on Induction until I see results? I'm afraid that if I don't see some kind of concrete reward I may get slack about my discipline if I go off....

So many neuroses, so little time....
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-03, 21:27

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 328/237.4/182 Female 67 inches
BF:50+%/34%/20%
Progress: 62%

I'm glad you're feeling better after all the support shown. One of the great things about this Forum is that no matter how alone you may feel, or think your problem is 'unique,' it really isn't and you really aren't! We're all here for you and many of us have had the same problems or very similair and have somehow come out the other end. So please take comfort in the fact that there IS hope- you can and WILL do it! Take care, I'll be rooting for you!
Kathy
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 19:02

Plan: CALP/Schwarzbien
Stats: 212.5/192/172.5 Female 5' 8
BF:
Progress: 51%

Hi,

Hope all is going well for you. I use stevia every day and have no carb cravings, except a little at TOM. I use the natural powder and not the extracts, but have heard that stevia is ok in the extracts too.

To up your veggies, without upping your work, just buy the frozen mixed veggies. It only takes a few minutes to steam them or stir fry and is easy, easy! Just try to get a mix without carrots, peas or corn. The japanese mix is usually good, with green beans, onion, mushroom, and water chessnut. Add a little onion or garlic powder and herbs, and there you go. Sometimes I pan fry steak or porkchops and then put defrosted veggies in the pan with the meat juices. It is really good. Or steam them and add a touch of butter and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese. Mmmm. Or have a veggie/cheese omelet! All these things are really quick and satisfying. If you fill up on veggies, then you probably won't want desserts.

Good luck to you,

deb