Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-31-03, 00:51

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 181/150/130
BF:
Progress: 61%
Unhappy I really need help and support right now

Hi there anyone who can help me
It's 147 am my time right now, and I just finished eating the last of a huge pizza I ordered. I'm currently a part of the Dr. Bernstien program in Canada. it's a Low carb like diet, that is very low calorie. Last weekend after 3 months of no cheating and 40 lbs lost later, I cheated. I was involved in a production, so I had a few drinks, ate some pizza and by monday and I was right on the nad wagon and even lost 2 lbs. This weekend has been HORRIBLE! I can't stop eating! it started friday night when I was at a party, more pizza, more chips, I felt like I was going to puke. No more I said. Saterday came, MORE JUNK! Candy, baked goods, and chips in crazy amounts, and tonite the same things. Tomarrow is Monday. A new week. I'm on maintenece right now so I need to be the same weight at least when I check in on Friday. Please Please Please. I think i can do this. I need support right now and to know other people have gone/ are going through the same problems i am right now. I need help. I need someone to talk to ot someone to let me know that Ill be ok, and to keep me motivated. I feel so out of control. It's like I havn't ate anything bad in three months, and seriously have eaten 3 months worth of food in a weekdn. I'm sure I've put on at least 10 lbs in 3 days...oh god....please respond with suggestions
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-31-03, 01:08
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi there 2am6,

I'm sorry to say we don't support the Dr S Bernstein clinic diet on this board. We do not support unpublished, proprietary plans.

Another reason we disapprove of his diet is that it is so low in calories, it is unhealthy. Trying to maintain a calorie count that low often sets people up for a binge, such as you are experiencing. The likelihood of the weight staying off from such a diet is also very low.

How about starting a healthy, satisfying low carb eating plan? No clinic fees, just the cost of one book. If you go to "Which low carb plan is right for me?" at the right side of the screen, you'll see summaries of the major plans.

All the best!

Rosebud
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-31-03, 08:52

BF:

So what your saying is that no one on a low carb diet has ever experienced these tendancies. And if so, I'm not allowed support because I'm on a diet you don't support. I find that a little bit elitiest. I can't come here for support? That upsets me for.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-31-03, 09:07
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

I don't think that is what Rosebud meant to say, I think she is more worried about the low calorie count on your program.

ON the binge issue, hey it happens to us all. I personally think, (just my own opinion mind you) that once in a while it can be a good thing. Like letting off some steam before the kettle boils over. The problem is sometimes it can be so hard to bring it to a stop! LOL the scale may help with that one, kind of a shock therapy.
Then maybe you can convince yourself that you have treated your body, now its time to gain lost ground and get back with the program. When I did WW I would give myself a day off whenever I weighed in. Spending the rest of the week paying the price for it!

3 months with no cheating is a long time! And you should be proud! I am sure you can get back on track again soon!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-31-03, 09:33

Stats: 250/202/145
BF:
Progress: 46%

I don't know ANYTHING about Dr. Bernstein's plan but I have noticed that many people who are on the plan are also on this forum. You may want to start a thread in the support category calling out other Dr. Bernsteins followers... Just a thought.

As for what Mary said, she is probably onto something. My best friend in on Atkins and cheated after three months. The next week she lost 3 LBS! It jump started her back! So don't be discouraged. You have done an awesome job so far! Way to go on your success and I wish you more success from here on out!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-31-03, 09:55

BF:

Whew!
Thank you!
I think anyone dieting( whatever diet) has tendancies to cheat/binge if they arn't eating those oh so yummy foods we miss..hehe. I just needed some support. I'm a student right now at college, and the temptation here is overwhelming. It's hard to get support you know? No one really understand how it is to be over weight, lose the weight, etc etc. So I'm sure you can understand. Thanks for the comments ladies, anymore would be much appriciated.
2am6
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Mar-31-03, 11:11

Plan: Controlled carbs
Stats: 218/195/150 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Hi I came out of my binge by eating a mini meal every two hours .
Just divided your allowed calories into 5 or 6 meals and force yourself to eat it.
Pene
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Mar-31-03, 12:03
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:

Quote:
but I have noticed that many people who are on the plan are also on this forum.

Actually, the Bernstein plan on this forum is Dr. Bernsteins Diabetic Solution which is not the same as the clinic.

This is the Forum's stance on proprietary diet plans:

Proprietary Plans.

As a bit of history, there once was a Yahoo discussion group for people on the Dr. B. Diet Clinic Plan and the clinic asked them to close it down which they did. Some of them migrated here and because of plan's proprietary nature and confusion with Dr. Bernsteins Diabetic Solution, we had to close the thread.

Karen
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Mar-31-03, 13:08

Stats: 196/179/164 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 53%

Hi! Even though you aren't on the same plan as me - i can totally identify what it is like going to college/university and trying to monitor what you eat. It is difficult, for sure. A lot of the time i will go to school, and EVERYWHERE I look it is junk food machines, or the cafeteria is filled with bad foods!! But seriously - don't be too hard on yourself. It happened, just try your best to get back on track (and don't fall into the 'oh, after Monday I will try to get back on track, or after the weekend I will... etc.) (you don't have to write of entire days! - start right now!!). You have done great so far - just remember that!! But i do agree - maybe if you find yourself binging on all those 'bad' foods your body is trying to tell you something - that it isn't being nourished properly. You could try reading Dr. Atkins book - he makes a lot of sense, and I haven't felt deprived at all being on this plan! Good Luck!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Mar-31-03, 14:24

BF:

So Karen, if I read that post correctly. I'm not allowed to post anything baout my diet on here? Or my progress?
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Mar-31-03, 14:51
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:

For the last 3 months I've been trying to understand my past bingeing behavior and this is what I've concluded so far.

When I binge on high/carb high/fat food, I haven't been eating enough. I didn't realize this until I starting tracking my food intake. The only way to counter this is to eat more healthy, legal food at 10-12X your body weight. That's good news.

If you do a search for "leptin" on the forum (the search function is up at the top right), you'll find all kinds of info about leptin, which is an anti-starvation hormone. If your body thinks you are starving due to long-term, low-calorie dieting, leptin will take over and make you binge. Don't beat yourself up b/c your body is trying to protect you. You can't fight your hormones. Your bingeing has nothing to do with self control.

The reason people tend to lose after a binge is b/c leptin is now satisfied that you aren't starving and isn't trying to hold onto fat. What you really have to do is befriend your body (and hormones). It knows what's best for you. After all, you are alive today b/c your ancestors survived famines.

BTW, don't worry too much about the initial weight gain. Much of it will be water.

Wanda

Last edited by wcollier : Mon, Mar-31-03 at 14:57.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Mar-31-03, 15:43
Forum Moderator

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by 2am6
So what your saying is that no one on a low carb diet has ever experienced these tendancies. And if so, I'm not allowed support because I'm on a diet you don't support. I find that a little bit elitiest. I can't come here for support? That upsets me for.

2am6, it's the diet - a very, unhealthy diet so low in nutrients it requires injections of vitamins - we don't support, not you.
It's because I want to be able to support you that I would suggest you switch to a healthier low carb plan where you can eat your fill.

OTOH, if you wish to stay on that diet, perhaps you could do a web search for a board where others follow Dr Stanley Bernstein's diet and can give you the support you seek.

Rosebud
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Mar-31-03, 17:08

BF:

Sorry Karen and Rosebud...

I had no clue that there was a difference between the clinic diets and the other people posting here. I can understand your stance.

I have been on diets where I injected myself and as soon as I went off all the weight came back and then some. All it did was mess up my metabolism even more.

I always thought I knew a lot about dieting since I have been on and off plans since I was 10 years old! Finally i learned that true weight loss comes from total nutrition and i am glad I found that with Atkins.

I guess I shouldn't put in my 2 cents unless if it really adds up to 2 cents! I appologize again!
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Mar-31-03, 17:42
Forum Moderator

BF:

Hey Theresa,

There has been confusion here before between the two Dr Bernsteins.

Dr Richard Bernstein is the author of Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution - a very healthy eating plan for diabetics, while Dr Stanley Bernstein runs a clinic in Canada where folk pay a large weekly fee to attend.

Rosebud
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Mar-31-03, 18:22

BF:

Wow, Rosebud, that is confusing. I never would have known that! But thanks for letting me know!

I have seen the damage some clinics have done first hand. A good friend of mine is suffering from some side effects of fen-fen. I was on it too. I lucked out! Thanks again for the heads up.