Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-04, 18:51

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 186/155/148 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 82%
Thumbs up potassium from EMER'GEN-C

EmergenC is a packet that you mix with water to make a fizzy drink. It dissolves readily. The "lite" version has only 0.13 carbs. It provides 1000 mg of vitamin C, which has saved me from a lot of colds, and a bunch of B vitamins. Why it's really good for low carbers is that it gives you 200 mg potassium for free. I try to eat as much potassium foods as possible, like avocados and spinach, but I must just need a lot or something since I often still get foot cramps. If I remember to drink my EmergenC, they are not a problem. It provides more than twice the potassium as is in the normal potassium pill and it's a lot more fun to take. I use the lite lemon-lime with MSM, for joints. But there is a lite with lemon-lime alone. The other flavors are not as good any way IMHO.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-04, 22:23
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 116/104/104 Female 5'4 1/2
BF:
Progress: 100%

I get cramps too!...only it's in my calves...wakes me in the morning when I stretch. YEEEOW! I read in the Atkins book this can be caused by a depletion in electrolytes caused by lc diets. You're right to take the extra potassium. I started adding extra Calcium/Magnesium and it helped at first but then the charley horses started again. I added 500 mg. potassium (1-2 p/day ) and take one esp. before I go to bed and it's working. If I forget, I get the cramps. I can only speak for myself but more potassium helped me. Hope your foot cramps get better.

Last edited by Carolie : Thu, Feb-05-04 at 22:25.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-04, 16:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 215/161.5/135 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%

That sounds like a product I would like to try. Is the EMER'GEN-C brand hard to find?