Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-03, 16:31

Plan: atkins
Stats: 202/185/140 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 27%
Default Lunch ideas for an outside JOB

Ok people I am depending on ya'll to help me, I need recipes for lunch and since my work is an outside job in the middle of Citrus groves without any access to a microwave and I can only carry a ice cooler with me, salads I know but if you eat them everyday they grow old fast...I need some good easy and fast to prepare types of lunch ideas....Help!!! I'll be going back to work sometime around the first week of October so I need to start collecting now....give em to me people....
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-03, 19:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 213/163.5/130 Female 5'
BF:
Progress: 60%

I don't like having salad for lunch. I usually have celery, cucumber, radishes (all "salad" veggies), along with some sort of cheese and meat. It doesn't get boring, as you can change the cheese/meat and what combo of veggies you have. Stuff the celery w/cream cheese or peanut butter, dip the veggies in salad dressing. Meat can be anything from lunchmeat (watch the sodium/sugar), leftover meat from supper (steak or cheeseburger, chicken is good also). Hope this helps!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-03, 20:37

Stats: 293/229/172 Male 5'11"
BF: Yes-VERY! %-)
Progress: 53%

"Roll-Ups" are a good option...meat on the outside, cheese or cream cheese on the inside, some times with a dill pickle spear nested in the center.

If you have LC tortillas, you've got a scrumptios holder for ham salad, egg salad, seafood salad, etc. Without the tortillas, consider rolling the same innards in a leaf of Romaine.

As we head into the cooler weather (okay, I know it never really gets cool in FL!), you might want to consider packing a thermos with one of the delicious LC soups featured in the recipe section of this site.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-03, 21:19
Registered Member

Stats: 385/346/210 Male 73"
BF:
Progress: 22%

A favorite quick little lunch of mine is to to mix a small can of deviled ham with a couple packets of mayo and a packet of yellow mustard. Mix it all up and you have a deliceous filling dip for pork rinds, celery or whatever... Don't knock it till you try it!

Another tasty treat I enjoy is to wrap some bacon and a teaspoon or two of diced tomatoes in big romain lettuce leaves with a bit of mayo. Great little BLT rollup...
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 10:26

BF:

Wow!!!

Thanks so much to all of you for your ideas!! I am doing some copying and pasting to my menu collections.

JMarion that is definetly going in my list, sort of a meaty cheese kinda salad that will work for sure.

GEO the rollups I absolutely love, matter of fact they sell them here in my local grocery with 3 cheeses inside and a thin layer of meat on the outside, I can buy those even already made just heat them in the oven in the morning!!! I have those at least once a week for dinner, why didn't I think of that??? LOL...Do you know a brand name on the LC tortillas I can't find those here maybe I need to look in a health store?

Michael is the deviled ham like Spam? I love spam and your idea is something I will definetly try and with the pork rinds it sounds really delicious . The BLT idea never even crossed my mind but I'm game for it, I wonder though if it will hold up in the cooler til lunch but it's a definite !!!

Thank you all so much and please don't hesitate if you think of anymore to keep em coming, I have a question if anyone knows..how long is it possible to freeze egg mixtures? In other words I want to make some breakfasts and maybe freeze them for the week because at 5 am I am not too gungho about fixing lunches and breakfasts. I'm a basic egg eater in the am and I know I could do the boiled egg thing but there are other little things I like to make with my eggs and I'm thinking maybe I could freeze them for the week??? I am suddenly feeling much more optimistic about how I will handle this WOL at work. I've tried before and failed due to this problem of eating on the "outside" but I did do the same kind of lunches over and over again, now with all these great ideas I think I can handle it all!!!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 10:49
Lovin' The GI Diet!

Plan: YOU: On A Diet
Stats: 250.0/231.0/160 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Just wanted to let you know if you can't find the LC tortillas..you can get them shipped to you....the garlic and herb ones I like the best.
click here for the link . They make great rollups with homemade chicken salad.When I first saw them I thought wow alot of carbs..but I forgot to minus out the fiber...so makes them not too bad and healthy. Hope this helps.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 13:38

BF:

Thank you soooooooooooooooooo much on the LC info Surfer!!!!!!!!

Finally someone is giving me the info on those, I have been trying for ages to find out where people get those and I would ask and noone remembered to answer me on that LOL...You just have no idea how much you helped me!!! I am a mexican food addict.....give me the hot peppers and spicy food and we are as happy as a flea on a puppys tale.

Thanks again my dear...
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 14:56

Stats: 293/229/172 Male 5'11"
BF: Yes-VERY! %-)
Progress: 53%

The "La Tortilla" brand is probably the most widely distributed (3 ECC for the small/5 ECC for the large). Their web site offers a not-very-up-to-date register of retailers arranged by zip code. If none in your area, you can order via the web...but I find that to be a bit more costly.