Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Nov-22-02, 22:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/155/120
BF:
Progress: 30%
Default Probably another irritating newcomer question...

Please forgive the newcomer ignorance of this question, but Carb Solutions High Protein Bars are on sale at Target. I bought one and it actually tastes alright, and it is an alternative to eggs, which I don't process too well being gall bladder free, and sorry, but the Atkings bars don't do much for me in the way of flavor.

I need the energy to lift after having done 1.5 hours of intense Yoga on an empty stomach.

I understand by reading the lable that there are 14 grams carbos, 0 grams of sugar, 2 grams of fiber, yet the declaration is "Net Carb Count 2". Hard to believe really. I don't see how the math works on this deal.

I also see Malitol as a listed ingredient a little on down the line, which I believe is alcohol sugar, and I'd like to know what this means to me while I'm on induction as well.

Thanks in advance for any clarity. I guess I want someone to tell me flat out yes or no this is not a good thing, and why.

Peace.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Nov-22-02, 23:24
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hey there!

Check out Low-Carb Tips at the top of the page for the scoop on sugar alcohols.

Some think the bars are bogus, and some are fine with them. I'm one of those annoying "real food" low-carbers so I stay away from those things and anything with sugar alcohol. Like everything else with low-carb, it's a YMMV situation.

Quote:
I need the energy to lift after having done 1.5 hours of intense Yoga on an empty stomach.

How about a protein shake with some yogurt and berries? If you're lifting, it's OK to take in a few more carbs.

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Nov-22-02, 23:34

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Hi Sunny. Yes this topic has been discussed in lots of threads. The answer is that the Maltitol is a 'sugar alcohol'. It IS a carb but it is claimed that these do not raise the blood sugar level nor elicit a surge of insulin. So the makers only have to count the other carbs in the bars.

In many threads on this board, you will see that bars often stall people. But some others eat them daily and don't have any trouble losing. So it is a very individual reaction.

In most of the Atkins books, it says to stick to the real foods on the Induction List. But apparently, Atkins or someone on Atkins diet may have said the bars are OK. You'll just have to try and see how it goes. Personally, I'd try to hold off on them for the Induction.

Watch out for maltitol's other action: it is a very powerful LAXATIVE. Some people who eat the chocolate candy bars report having to stay close to bathroom the day after eating a whole bar.

As for needing an energy lift: I guess I wonder if you have to do the yoga on an empty stomach, because I know nothing about how to do yoga. And have you tried eating protein foods instead of the 'sugary stuff'? I do that for blood donations and have no problems. The good part is that the BS stays so stable when we're on low carb.

If yoiu don't like eggs for breakfast, try cooking too much dinner and have leftovers for breakfast. I often do that.

Hope this helps.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Nov-23-02, 10:00

BF:

I had wondered more if the alcohol sugars triggered cravings. I see that they are worth some carb points. I guess it's all hit and miss one day at at time. I do try to stick to the natural foods too, but there are times that I cannot eat when running the kids from school to soccer to church and back home. I try to plan for activities, but it's just kind of nice to know that there's a "safe" snack in my purse that is going to keep my BS level until I can get some real food.

I don't see Yogurt on my induction list of foods. Seems all of it contains a minimum of 12 grams of sugar in addition to a lot of carbs and that's just the plain stuff that I love so much!!! I think that's been one of the most difficult things foods to give up for me besides bread and nuts.

Yup, gotta do Yoga on an empty stomach. I used to have a cup of soy milk or plain yogurt prior to induction. It's pretty hard to bend backwards or do an inversion pose with anything in the stomach. Additionally, if I want to meditate at all, it is just a little easier on an empty stomach than a full one.

Thanks one and all!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Nov-23-02, 10:25

Stats: 160/143/130 Female 5'6"
BF:32/*?!*!!/20
Progress: 57%

Hi Sunny, I know what you mean about 'on the run' snacks. I make almond muffins (recipe in the Sweet treats section of the kitchen bit somewhere) and put a couple in a plastic bag in my purse. They keep for a day or so - and i've always eaten them by then anyway! In fact, they keep me going, cos they look sort of 'normal' so I can eat them in meetings (odd looks if I eat hard boiled eggs or chicken drumsticks).
I do eat 'diabetic' chocolate, which is made with maltilol occasionally and in me, it does cause sugar cravings (as well as the other, unwelcome side effects).

As for yoghurt, I eat full fat greek style yoghurt, which comes unsweetened and is 4 or 5 carbs per 100g. I add a teaspoon of diabetic jam or a few mashed berries sometimes. Like you, I really missed it on induction, so once I was finished with my fortnight, I added yoghurt back in!

Keep up the good work, take care, Jay

PS there are no 'irritating' questions, we've all done hundreds of questions (an hour ) when we were new and folk took the time with us - as you will do when you've been doing it a while, with the new folk.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Nov-24-02, 15:25

BF:

Jaykay, thank you. Have been looking for full fat Greek Yogurt around these parts in Southern Washington state for the last five days. Nowhere to be found. Just thinking about it is making my mouth water...that and a big ole spinner of honey. Oh geesh....
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Nov-24-02, 16:17
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

If it's a full fat yogurt with two live cultures, the carb count is around half of what's stated on the label because the lactose - milk sugar - is "eaten" by the culture.

BTW, on a food label, sugars are not a separate carb entity. They're part of the total corbohydrate count.

Portable snacks? Jerky, pork rinds, small cans of zip-top tuna and salmon.

Karen