Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-30-04, 18:14
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%
Default The Low Carb Lifestyle Shows Staying Power

July 30, 2004 01:49 PM US Eastern Timezone

NMI: The Low Carb Lifestyle Shows Staying Power; New Consumer Research Shows Low Carb Momentum Continues

HARLEYSVILLE, Pa.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--July 30, 2004--The low carb movement is here to stay. According to new consumer research conducted in June 2004 by The Natural Marketing Institute (NMI), based on a survey of 1,322 U.S. households, more than one in five (21%) Americans are currently attempting to maintain or lose weight by managing their carbohydrate intake. "People definitely consider the low carb approach to be legitimate," notes Steve French, NMI's Managing Partner. "Managing carbs is easily understood, has higher levels of success compared to many other weight loss methodologies, and there is a wide array of new scientific research substantiating the low carb approach."

As the low carb phenomenon has far reaching implications across many industries, NMI has tracked consumer behavior shifts in a variety of ways. According to Mr. French: "In 2002, according to NMI's 2004 Low Carb Weight Manager Report, we found that 17% of American adults had tried the low carb approach during the past year. This number grew to 24% in 2003 and reached one-third of the U.S. population based on a consumer study conducted in January of 2004."

Given the dynamic nature of the low carb marketplace, NMI's June 2004 research measured the proportion of Americans actually following the approach right now -- to provide a baseline for current behavior and continued trending. NMI's finding, that active low carb weight managers, known as LCWMs, currently comprise one-fifth of the adult population, is astounding and confirms the low carb lifestyle trend.

According to NMI, it is important to note that there are many ways to describe and categorize low carb consumer behavior. The June NMI survey indicated that a majority of LCWMs actively reduce sugar (65%), while 62% actively reduce starch-based foods. In addition, almost half of LCWMs use sugar substitutes (48%), with 47% increasing their protein intake. An impressive one-third of LCWMs say they use low carb packaged foods and beverages (brand name products specifically designed with lower carbohydrate content). And almost one in five LCWMs follow a specific, formal low carb diet, such as Atkins, South Beach or other low carb program.

"While many Americans have adopted low carb behavior patterns, many LCWMs say they are actually following what NMI calls a "modified" version of a low carb diet program. In fact NMI would classify more than one-third of LCWMs (37%) as 'modifiers,' adapting Atkins or other programs to their own lifestyle," French said. "Low carb dieting seems to be somewhat of a do-it-yourself affair," he added. This simplicity and adaptation flexibility will continue to drive the low carb marketplace for many years to come.

Whereby some short term sales trends of low carb packaged foods may have peaked, in part due to pantry loading and consumer trial, the staying power of the low carb approach is fundamentally rooted in consumers' lifestyle. And with a meaningful portion of the American population utilizing a variety of methods to manage carb intake, continued momentum will fuel this trend across a variety of industries.

The Natural Marketing Institute (NMI) is a leading strategic consulting, market research and business development company specializing in the health, wellness and sustainability marketplace. NMI maintains a range of proprietary consumer databases and research tools and works with clients across a range of industries. NMI also publishes more than 100 syndicated research reports, such as the 2004 Low Carb Weight Manager Report. For more information, call 215-513-7300 or visit www.NMIsolutions.com.

http://home.businesswire.com/portal...382&newsLang=en
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jul-30-04, 20:12

Plan: TNTDIET
Stats: 327/234/220 Male 74
BF:
Progress: 87%

Oh no!! :O Just when you though low carb was failing!!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jul-31-04, 19:45

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

Yay! I knew it. I just got a friend to start low-carbing at work. I've bee trying to be very supportive and she's doing great. The best thing is that she's seeing it as a lifestyle change, not just a diet. And she got through the first week largely because I made sure she knows the withdrawal symptoms are just temporary.

Whoops! Tooting my own horn. But I'm so proud of and happy for Linda. And on top of that, her daughter, who has some very definite symptoms of insulin resistance and wheat allergies, is considering trying it out too.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Aug-01-04, 10:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

I think most people discovered low carb through word of mouth advertising, which is the best kind there is.

It is also the most stable. Ill-informed rants in the media tend to not have as much "weight to them" (hee hee) as someone you know who is keeping the pounds off, and is happier and healthier, while actually low carbing.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Aug-01-04, 16:53

Plan: Diabetic Low Carb
Stats: 165/153.5/135 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%
Smile

I believe that low-carbing is definitely the answer to the healthy way of living. I know that everyone is different, but perhaps it's because I have cut way down on carbs, but not doing Atkins, I never had any withdrawals. I seemed to be tired "before" starting a low carb WOE. As a result of cutting carbs, I seem to feel better. My blood tests (cholesterol) have definitely improved. Want to see my results? I posted them on my Journal. I, however, seem to have stalled. I have lost 10 pounds since June 18th., and am seriously thinking of getting "more serious" by actually using the Atkins plan. Still thinking.... Any suggestions?
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Aug-03-04, 07:05

Stats: 310/259/180 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 39%

Well, I must say I wished my daughter would truly believe that this works. I have tried to teach her, she has seen that it is working on me, yet she laughs at me for being so devoted to Atkins and continues to eat bread. She is 250 lbs. I don't know what to do to convince her.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Aug-03-04, 08:39
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
I don't know what to do to convince her.

You're already doing it - lead by example. You can't argue with success.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Aug-04-04, 11:42

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamarian
a majority of LCWMs actively reduce sugar (65%), while 62% actively reduce starch-based foods

Gee, if you don't reduce sugar & starch...what the heck are you doing?
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Aug-04-04, 12:40

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

""While many Americans have adopted low carb behavior patterns, many LCWMs say they are actually following what NMI calls a "modified" version of a low carb diet program. In fact NMI would classify more than one-third of LCWMs (37%) as 'modifiers,' adapting Atkins or other programs to their own lifestyle," French said. "Low carb dieting seems to be somewhat of a do-it-yourself affair," he added. This simplicity and adaptation flexibility will continue to drive the low carb marketplace for many years to come."

Yes! That's it! Simplicity and flexibility.

I always get a kick out of comments that following LC is so hard. It's so hard to count carbs? Look for transfats and hidden carbs? But it's not hard to count arbitrary "points"? Or fat grams? And figuring which fats are "good" fats and which are "bad" is easier?????
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Aug-04-04, 14:42

Plan: atkins
Stats: 330/217/190 Male 70 in
BF:?/30/less than 20
Progress: 81%

We are all walking bilboards for this way of eating. My co-workers can obviously see that I have taken off 100 pounds and kept it off, with no suffering. I have told and encouraged many of them to start. This crazy fad diet will never fade away, because it works and is the most healthy way to eat.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Aug-04-04, 14:56

BF:
Question

I never would have believed that low carbing works. Until I did it myself. It's not difficult to do, at least not for me. The only problems I have are being impatient, and worrying about my morning sugars. I have stalled again at -10 pounds, and would like to drop another 5 or so, "NOW", but I know that it'll come off eventually, I need to be patient. I do worry what I am doing wrong in the evening. I test my BG at bedtime, and it'll be fine, then in the AM it skyrockets. I know I'm not eating from the time I go to bed until the time I get up. Just can't figure it out. Am I eating too late in the evening, or not enough, or too much????? I dunno! Thanks for any input.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Aug-04-04, 20:23

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtistheCat
I test my BG at bedtime, and it'll be fine, then in the AM it skyrockets. I know I'm not eating from the time I go to bed until the time I get up. Just can't figure it out. Am I eating too late in the evening, or not enough, or too much????? I dunno! Thanks for any input.

Dr. Bernstein has a good explanation of this morning effect phenomena in his book "Diabetes Solution", http://www.diabetes-normalsugars.com/
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Aug-05-04, 07:55

BF:
Thank you Mike, I will definitely check it out. I appreciate your input!
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Aug-05-04, 08:42

Plan: TNTDIET
Stats: 327/234/220 Male 74
BF:
Progress: 87%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadLady
Well, I must say I wished my daughter would truly believe that this works. I have tried to teach her, she has seen that it is working on me, yet she laughs at me for being so devoted to Atkins and continues to eat bread. She is 250 lbs. I don't know what to do to convince her.

Give it time...and lot's of love. She will make up her own mind.