Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-22-01, 15:41

Plan: BFL
Stats: 150/140/125
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default Frustrations

You know how some days you just have to vent and there are things that just make you go, "hmmmmm..." Today was one of them.
I have very proud of myself lately--feeling very in control and staying within the guidelines I have laid out for myself. I'm a total carb addict and by now I know myself well enough not even to take that first bite of something or I'll binge, setting off that vicious circle of guilt etc I'm sure we all know well.
I watched the people I work with today pack away a lot of stuff (I'm really observant about this these days...not vocal, just observant.They ordered lunch (pizza) snacked on popcorn and rice krispie squares and stuff like that (using the old "this stuff is great, and it's low fat! excuse--this seems to make it OK to stuff yourself silly). As usual, they offered me some, and as usual I declined in favor of my usual pepperoni stick and cheese afternoon snack.
One of them commented, "she's no fun anymore".
This really kinda hurt me. These are the same people that complain bitterly that they're not happy with themselves, but I'm no fun anymore because I'm trying to be the best I can be?
The last time I checked my personality wasn't linked to what I put in my mouth. I haven't changed.
This has been very hard for me to stick to and I guess I just wish people could MYOB and not try to trash someone else's methods or conviction.
Am I being too sensitive? I've never once made any comments judging anyone else's choice of food. Why can't they seem to respect mine?

Anyway, thanks for listening guys. I find the support here I can find no where else, even if it's just writing it all down instead of keeping it inside.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-22-01, 16:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 145?/131/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:
Default Cruel

Fran, sometimes people can just be so cruel. Actually, this reminds me of a similar incident at my office..over low carb..."one lady loudly plainly announced that this low carb stuff was just a bunch of garbage, that everyone should be eating a balanced diet of everything". Well, from that day forward, we don't have any low carb discussions around her. BUT, one of the gals has lost about 40 lbs doing low carb and she told me this same lady has never even mentioned how great she looks or how great she's doing.

It's hard, but just consider the source. When these people see how great you start to feel and look, they'll probably not mention that either.

You're doing this for yourself, and what a wonderful thing you're doing.

Some folks who haven't had any experience with diabetes, or being overweight or any other food related problem, just don't seem to have any understanding that a change in diet could just be the answer.

Just stand tall....and remember as the pounds disappear you'll look even taller!!!

Good luck, keep us posted on your progress....(and it's okay to have a bad day...we all do).

(((Hugs)))

Last edited by Sharon : Wed, Aug-22-01 at 20:09.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-01, 08:48
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins'
Stats: 160/154/110
BF:
Progress:

I'm so tired of hearing people say "Low Carb is no good" EVERYONE is different!!!!! Personally, I LOVE low carbing!!! But a friend of mine sticks to low-fat, low-cal and it works wonderfully for her, but not me... so I tried low carb and it's working. Don't let other discourage you. If you feel good on it, then keep it up.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-01, 12:32

Plan: Dr Atkins/PP
Stats: 180/170/138 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 24%

My co-workers feel the same when I tell them I am on a Low Carb Diet. Now after they got used to the way I eat, I am not excluded anymore. Other than one usual lunch place that serves all carbs for lunch, I have been able to join them at the restaurants for lunch.

It's funny, they watched what I ordered then see me finished it and wished that they had order the same thing.

I brought in the LC Vancouver Cheesecake and some LC Appies for a birthday party and they were amazed that I can eat such delicious food and desserts.

Even though I have not lost that much (17lbs), my clothes are fitting better and I am no longer wearing big tops to cover my stomach and elastic waist pants. Most of my clothes are more tailored now.

Do not be upset by your co-workers ignorance, its their problem for not doing research about this WOL, and I am glad I found this WOE and WOL.

When it comes down to it, I AM IN CONTROL of MY LIFE!!