Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-04, 10:52

Plan: Insulin Resistance Diet
Stats: 283/162/165 Female 5ft6
BF:
Progress: 103%
Default A bunless diet revolution? Fat chance (MSN article)

Here's a link to an article I just read at MSN. It's not got a very positive spin to it, imho. (people who seem to only be interested in criticizing) There are also a lot of links to other articles at the bottom of the page regarding low carb topics that might be of interest to you.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/Default.aspx?id=3967721&p1=0

(edited to correct bad grammar...didn't do a spellcheck, however)

Last edited by mommyto3 : Fri, Jan-16-04 at 10:55.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-04, 11:52

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

Quote:
The price of the new product risks being unappealing to customers, too: It’s the same with or without bun, per Burger King’s recommendation to its 8,000 restaurants.

OK....2 months ago, if I went to one of these places, I'd pay $X for a burger, then remove the bun (and most of the cheese, because it sticks to it) and throw it away. NOW....I go to one of these places, still pay $X for the burger, only this time it's got no bun (so all the cheese is still on it)....and often has more. Like one wraps in lettuce, others offer lettuce, tomatoe, etc added. So, why would I complain about the price??????

Quote:
Besides, he [Jerry McVety] noted, a Whopper without a bun is almost an oxymoron. “The bun is almost the least of my worries,” he chuckled.

Only if you belive the fat is bad mantra

Quote:
“A large majority of our customer base still enjoy fully loaded, high-quality cheeseburgers....said Russ Klein, Burger King’s chief marketing officer.

now THIS is an oxymoron! "high quality" and "Burger King" in the same sentance.

Quote:
“The issue is we need to burn more carbohydrates — more physical activity — and eat less,” said Diekman, director of university nutrition at Washington University in St. Louis. “The better option would be a smaller burger, maybe less often, and still have it on a bun so you control the calories and the fat.”

And that's how we got fat! I'm sorry, but I don't have time to run 2-3 miles a day, or work out for 2-3 hours/day! And smaller just means hungrier.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-04, 10:19
Lurking LowCarber

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 203/182/150 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
“A large majority of our customer base still enjoy fully loaded, high-quality cheeseburgers [with buns!], so we don’t see this as some kind of sea change,” said Russ Klein, Burger King’s chief marketing officer. “But it’s a change that we felt was warranted in order to give all our customers options they feel comfortable with in terms of diet.”

This made me chuckle. I automatically thought, "and that's why they're the LARGE (big, huge, obese, overweight, etc) majority!! Especially those who *enjoy* these *high-quality* burgers on a daily basis!"