Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-15-03, 13:22
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 140/123/125 Female 5' 6
BF:
Progress: 113%
Default ok so I just ate a pear....

and god was it good! I am starving so I also ate a handful (15-20) small almonds with it. My question is, do you think the fiber & fat from the almonds will slow the absorbion of the pear's sugar and keep my blood stable or will the sugar from the pear release enough insulin to make me store the fat from the Almonds! The reason I am asking is that pear tasted like heaven and I want another one! (well, maybe not until tomorrow!) and I'm just curious about food combining as well!

Thanks!
Evey
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Dec-15-03, 14:15
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

When ever you have carbs, such as fruit, you should have it with protien to slow absorbtion. Atkins recomends peanut butter and apples. So what you did was great.

Just remember to watch portion sizes. Save the pears to one serving a day, that way you appriciate them more too. Add in other LC fruits such as berries, apple, plums, peaches and so on in moderation. Keep the nuts under portion control too. They are something that can get out of hand fast, and they are very high cal

A piece of fruit and nuts sounds like a perfect snack though. Try putting both on a salad to stretch them out more if you want and sweeten up the salad. You can also make parfets using unsweetened plain yopgurt, fruit and nuts.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Dec-15-03, 14:54
Registered Member

BF:

Thank you for the good information - I just ate another pear though! (I couldn't resist it!) Now I'm wondering if I should eat more almonds?!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Dec-16-03, 10:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 236/202.5/159 Male 66
BF:
Progress: 44%

Better to eat an extra pear once in a while than 6 extra slices of pizza twice a week
Also, I think it depends where you are in the scheme of your weight loss plan. If you're at or near maintainance then a little more fruit isn't a bad idea. I really am not to sure about the food combining thing myself. If the foods were truly blended together I think it might make more of a difference but honestly I haven't really thought it through or studied it so better listen to Ladybelle!
Merry Christmas!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Dec-16-03, 10:10
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
If the foods were truly blended together I think it might make more of a difference

Ok, I can blend cottage cheese and yogurt with fruit, and I supose blending it with peanut butter would make it kind of like PB&Jelly, but there are some foods people just should not mash fruit into!! As soon as I htink of any I'll let you know (thinks of apple stuffed pork chops or pineapple hams)
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Dec-17-03, 09:25
Registered Member

BF:

There are times I get so hungry a blenderful of apple stuffed porkchops sounds pretty good! I like the idea of fruit and cottage cheese - didn't even think of it! I will try that with my pear next time - Merry Chrismas to you guys!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Dec-17-03, 11:56

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

Pear has about 13g carbohydrate per 100g - this is quite high!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Dec-17-03, 13:12
Registered Member

BF:

13 grams yikes! That is high! I lucked out though and eating two didn't knock me out of ketosis - must be because I have been running (ran a couple of miles last night) My muscles must have sucked the carbs right up!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Dec-17-03, 13:57
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Looks like you're already below goal...should you still be in ketosis?

I don't know what 100g of a pear looks like. Is that a whole averaged-size pear, a slice, what? I must admit that I miss fruit more than anything else. I've started adding some berries, and it helps that my favorites like strawberries, blueberries and peaches aren't in season right now.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Dec-17-03, 15:00
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Hillary,

I should no longer be in Ketosis but I'm having such a hard time leaving it! Like a security blanket. But I find that I am going to have to because with working out I am getting headachs and craving fruit so I must NEED some good carbs - just had two apples to see if I feel better! I don't know what a 100 grams is either I just thought it was for the whole thing!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Dec-17-03, 15:42

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

Well, 454 grams is a pound so 100 must be about a quarter pound...problem is I don't know what a pear weighs! Wish I could eat pears and stay in ketosis! Lucky you - enjoy.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Dec-18-03, 07:55
Registered Member

BF:

Wow a pound - I don't think my pear was that big! Robert - just try jogging! Since I've started it I can't seem to get out of Ketosis! I don't want to rub it in - but I had TWO apples yesterday (of course I ran a mile an apple) and Viola! Ketosis! Exercise burns those carbs right up!