Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 13:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 227/201/197 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 87%
Default Psyllium Husk powder

Lots of diets recommend fiber for weight loss. One of the top reasons is because fiber cleans the pipes and helps get rid of waste residue. It can also help reduce mild hemmorhoids and reduce the risk of colon cancer.

With that aside, I recommend purchasing a batch and taking one scoop each and every day.

I take one scoop as soon as I walk in the door when I get home, before dinner is ready. It gives me a full feeling for a few hours, and helps me control my dinner time appetite.

In fact, because of the psyllium husks, I have finally been able to break out of my gorging for dinner habit that I've had for over two years now. No breakfast, moderate lunch, then come home and devour everything in site. A bad habit to have.

Anyhow, another Atkins dieter I know is also taking the husks, and we've both noticed more well-balanced weight loss. I am consistently losing a pound every 3 days. It's great!

First off, the stuff can be nasty. I use Crystal Light, Orange flavor to help get it down. I make up a pitcher of the drink and only use it for my psyllium husks dosage and that's it. If you are worried about aspartame in small quantities, feel free to buy coolade and add in your own Splenda. Regardless, I recommend a beverage that has flavor to get it down without problems.

Finally, if you have a big weigh in day, like once a week, your journal day, I recommend taking two doses, one the morning the day before your weighin and another earlier that evening. That way your body is purged a bit and you'll see more positive results. Specifically, the body can maintain 2, 3, 5, even 8-10 lbs of water and waste, and with some water cutback in the early evening the night before weigh-in, will help you get a clean, flushed out body weight measurement.

Tom C
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 13:31

Stats: 221.8/221.8/155 Female 5’7”
BF:
Progress: 0%

I drink that stuff too, but I haven't been mixing it with anything other than plain old water. Nasty stuff! I'm thinking about buying the pills, though it is more expensive to go that route. That stuff really does help though.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 13:47

Stats: 227/201/197 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 87%

I tried it in water the first time. Never again.
Since I switched to Crystal light, I actually enjoy taking it. Doesn't go down difficult at all.

I'd try the alternate beverage before I switched to caps. I take enough supplements as it is already.

Tom C
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 13:54

Plan: South/Atkins/Ornish/etc.
Stats: 275/260/190 Male 5'10"
BF:lbs&in. first, ok?
Progress: 18%

It *is* nasty stuff! But since it takes me 10 - 16 ounces of water to choke it down, that helps me towards my two liters a day...

I might try the CL idea though. Anything to help with that runny cream-of-wheat taste. Bleah.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 14:13
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

I have just bought the psyllium seed husk in capsules. I think you can guess why I needed it, but I am glad to see it has an extra benifit to taking it.

I am glad to stumble on the post, because I was unsure if I was buying the right thing. But you have now taken away the fear of the product.

Would be jumping off the walls for a 3 pound a day loss but I know not to set myself up for that one. Must be a guy thing
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 16:23

Stats: 181/159/130
BF:
Progress: 43%

I take psyllium too, and I've been taking it first thing in the morning to get it over with, but I like your idea of taking it before dinner. I don't really have to urge to eat until about 3 pm, and when the urge hits, I really have to keep myself in check. I think taking psyllium before dinner will help me control this, so I'm starting tomorrow! I take it with water, and I have to chug it down real fast before I taste it or get that gritty feeling in my mouth.