Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 08:20
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 182/160/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 52%
Default ? for those who have appetite loss

Other than forcing high calorie foods down your throat are the any tricks to increasing your calories? This is a problem I NEVER thought I would have but I just looked back over Fit-Day and realized that I have been averaging just 800 or less calories per day. I didn't notice it before because I was having carb tunnel vision. I immediately ran down to our cafeteria and got an order of bacon and eggs but since it is 10:30 I know I'm not going to be hungry for lunch. Burp!

I know from reading here that this isn't an uncommon problem so I would like some advice so I don't go into starvation mode and stop losing. Please don't say force yourself because that is sickening to think about. I would just like some suggestions of allowable foods that would bring up my calorie count without making me feel too stuffed to move.

Geez, first I couldn't stop eating, now I have a hard time making myself eat.

Thanks for any advice - Laurie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 08:28

Plan: Skinny Me Diet
Stats: 345/212.5/210 Male 6'4
BF:
Progress: 98%

Eat a couple ounces of macadamia nuts. That will add about 250 calories to your daily total, and they are very low carb and high fat.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 08:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 259/191/160 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 69%

Eat meat, especially steak. It tends to be higher in fat and, therefore, higher in calories.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 09:35

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

The best way to add calories w/o adding large quantities of food is to add in some fat.

Double up on your servings of :
  • Butter
  • Olive Oil
  • Mayonnaise
  • Flax oil
All contain 12-14g of fat per Tbsp and you hardly notice an extra Tbsp.

Try leaving the skin on your chicken - fatty and tasty. Choose fattier cuts of beef and fish and don't trim!

Fat is always the best choice for increasing calories - it's 9 calories per gram, compared to carbs / protein with 4 calories per gram, and it's metabolically neutral - it's not going to have any effect on your insulin or glucagon levels. It's also the kindling that starts your body burning it's own fat.

Hang in there Laurie - your appetite does come back after a few weeks.

Nat