Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 18:48
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%
Talking A Note to Newbies.

Welcome!

I thought I'd post a few hints to make it easier. (All you "oldbies" feel free to jump in!)

1. There is NO such thing as a "stupid question". We've all been confused at one point, so feel free to ask whatever's on your mind. However, it is really helpful if you read the book that corresponds to your particular plan. It's really hard to get enough information from a bulleting board to thoroughly explain the plan in a way that ensures success.

2. We're all here to help. If you feel you've been treated rudely, there's a "report post" link. 99% of people who post here are friendly and polite. We want what's best for you, but you don't need to tolerate being shamed, lectured, or ridiculed. We're all human, though, and have different styles of communicating. it's easy to be misunderstood online. Just something to keep in mind...

3. You can turn to us any hour of the day or night. There's usually SOMEBODY here. That's the greatest thing!

4. Remember, everyone loses at their OWN pace. We have some wonderful success stories here to learn from, but don't get down on yourself if your loss doesn't match theirs. What matters is feeling better, setting and achievng your OWN goals, and helping to cheer each other on.

I could go on and on...(and often DO!...LOL)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 18:29
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 226/217/150 Female 5' 4
BF:
Progress: 12%

:

Last edited by Laura1 : Tue, Sep-30-03 at 18:32.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 18:31
Registered Member

Stats: 226/217/150 Female 5' 4
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default thanks

Your support is appreciated...I stillhave only lost 3 lbs but keep trying and tweaking it...lots of water...fitday.com and this site are great.
I have been a little depressed about not losing but my husband is also encouraging with flowers tonight...(cheesecake would have been better lol)
Thanks again...
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 23:24

Stats: 293/229/172 Male 5'11"
BF: Yes-VERY! %-)
Progress: 53%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura1
Your support is appreciated...I stillhave only lost 3 lbs but keep trying and tweaking it...lots of water...fitday.com and this site are great.
I have been a little depressed about not losing but my husband is also encouraging with flowers tonight...(cheesecake would have been better lol)
Thanks again...
Hi Laura--

Here's something to look forward to when you finish Induction:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...ight=cheesecake

Don't worry, some folks have a slow start, then pick up speed. Either way, you're 3 lbs. closer to your goal...and that's never bad!

Last edited by geo53562 : Tue, Sep-30-03 at 23:51.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 02:16

Plan: atkins
Stats: 171/170/140 Female 5'5
BF:40/36/27
Progress:

thank you so much for the words of encouragement. even tho i've only been on here a couple of days i'm still in awe at the amount of support people give each other on this message board!! even tho i fell off the wagon for the past 3 days due to no weight loss, i'm now ready to start and defeat my weight problem once and for all.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 04:49
Registered Member

Stats: 200/182/160 Male 5' 11
BF:
Progress: 45%

Thanks potato;

I feel less self-conscious about asking questions now. Once I understand something I usually do okay, but it takes a lot of repetition for things to sink in. :-)
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 09:24
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

There's no shame to asking something, even if you think you "should" know it.

You can read and read, and sometimes it takes someone ELSE rewording it to get it to sink in!!

Also, trial-and-error is the most valuable thing sometimes... that's why they keep updating the books, after all. Someone finds a better way, or something isn't working for some people... learning from someone who's been there can save a LOT of frustration.

You may get twenty different ideas when you ask, and maybe 19 of them won't work for you... but that ONE that does might be the difference between weight loss and giving up!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 09:24

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 328/237.4/182 Female 67 inches
BF:50+%/34%/20%
Progress: 62%

Thanks Potatofree,

You seem to have a knack for knowing what we newbees need to hear and know!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 10:50
"Hopeless Romantic"

Plan: 000000000
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 00000
BF:
Progress: 26%

Potatofree, what great advice! I had read and reread CALP book and thought I knew it inside and out. Thought I'd adjust things a little to suit me (maybe try making low carb bread) until Zuleika asked me why I was trying that anyway. Then I realized that I cant have it at breakfast or lunch anyway, so at supper for rm have the real thing. The plan instantly fell into place in my head and now I know exactly what to do. I just needed someone else's question to make me think about it. How great huh?
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-03, 10:53

Stats: 300/300/160 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress:
Default Hey hey Potatofree

Greetings from a small town in Montana! I am running all over this site, and it's nice to find someone from a small town in at least a neighboring state!

I also read a little about your son. I myself was in a wheelchair when I was 5. I have a 17 year old daughter who is hearing impaired and dealing with that, and going on anti-depressants triggered my own weight gain.

Anyway, I enjoyed your comment about the "Gene Pool," and about wanting to drop a house on an in-law. I have been there!

So I am just getting started as well, and have much to learn and miles to go. It is hard to get into the groove, and probably just as hard to stay in the groove.

I am glad you have done so well, you are an inspiration. By the way, my birthday is 2 days after yours. I, however, will be 50 in Feb.

Jeaniebug