Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Australia / New Zealand
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-06-04, 22:03
Registered Member

Plan: paleo
Stats: 209/189/176 Male 186cm
BF:
Progress: 61%
Cool Where can I get good old English style Black Pudding?

I would love to find some English style black pudding in Queensland here. We have a lot of small goods manufacturers especially on the Darling Downs, who make a huge range of stuff but their black pudding is like a paste that goes crumbly and falls to bits when fried.

I remember English Black pudding as being more tough and solid, with big lumps of pork fat in it.

Any ex poms here who can suggest a brand?

Cheers

Michael Gardner
Bribie Island
Home of the Flop House
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-10-04, 19:27

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 250/190/185 Male 6' 1"
BF:30+/16/15
Progress: 92%
Wink

I used to love black pudding and bacon for breakfast! It also reminds me of "The Goodies" episode where the black pudding was so black "even the white bits were black" and Bill Oddie became a master of the ancient welsh martial art of 'eccky thump' which involved hitting people with black puddings!

The trouble is the only brands I have seen in the supermarket are quite high carb because of all the filler used (flour?) - from memory about 18g carb per 100g. What we need to find is a traditional butcher who makes his own and can tell you the ingredients.

Cheers,

Malcolm
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-12-04, 21:24
Registered Member

Plan: paleo
Stats: 209/189/176 Male 186cm
BF:
Progress: 61%

Thanks, Malcolm for reviving the memory of "Ecky Thump"! If I find a good brand I'll let you know!
Went back to pomland on holiday and ended up in a shopping mall food court in Edinburgh where the fare consisted of fish n chips, black pudding, haggis etc. My teenage boys were keen to try haggis ("the lungs, heart and liver of a sheep cooked in its stomach"). My partner - Aussie - ordered black pudding expecting to get delicate little slices of it. It turned out to be a massive thing deep fried in batter like the scots do to everything, and it hung off both ends of the plate! Had to help her finish it, it was delicious.

Cheers
Michael