Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 18:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 231/208/140 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default Too Much Iron ??

Hello everyone......So glad to have found this website and all the support that it offers !!

My question is about vitamins with iron. I am losing weight right now in hopes of getting pregnant in a couple of months. My doctor has told me to take a multi-vitamin called "Materna" once a day which has increased Folic Acid (1mg) and Iron (60mg). Dr. Atkins book says to take a multi-vitamin without iron though. Could I be doing more harm than good by taking these. I just started taking them a few days ago and then realized how high it was in the iron over the regular ones I was taking up until then. I don't eat a large amount of red meat (supposedly a good source of iron) maybe 2 to 3 times a week. Should I cut my red meat consumption down ?? I've been doing well so far (23 lbs in 2 months).
Don't want to mess things up !!

Thanks to all who take the time to pass on there thoughts and wisdom !!

Shakar

"We can all do this together" !!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 20:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 202/128/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 96%

I think this may best be answered by your physician. Dr. A says to stay away from the iron supplements because you get so much iron from the food on this diet and too much can be bad. However, he isn't talking about someone that is planning pregnancy in the near future so like I said, ask your doc. This is too important to guess on. Good luck with the upcoming wee one. And congratulations on your weight loss! That is impressive!