Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 19:25

Plan: atkins
Stats: 148/148/130
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default protein/fat

Please tell me, exactly how much protein and fat are you suppose to have a day??... there must be a limit....

ALSO....... why is cream cheese and sour cream recommended in induction, when they both contain sugar ??

Thanks.......

S
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 19:29
Zora

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

The general concensus on the board is 65-70% fat, 4% carbs and the rest protein. I use fitday.com to chart what I eat and it tells me what percentages I'm at. If you are on induction, limit your carbs to 20 grams a day. You can read the rules of induction here:

http://atkinscenter.com/Archive/2001/12/15-325810.html

The Atkins site states that you can have an ounce of sour cream a day but to be aware that it may slow down weight loss in some people, and may need to be avoided in the first two weeks.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Zora : Mon, May-19-03 at 19:37.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 21:35
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 145/138/120
BF:
Progress: 28%
Smile No sugar in sour cream or cream cheese

Hi - Whew! You sent me running to my refrigerator to check the ingredients when I read your question about sour cream and cream cheese:

"ALSO....... why is cream cheese and sour cream recommended in induction, when they both contain sugar ??"

Sugar is not one of the ingredients in either. However, in the Nutrition Facts (USA) under "sugars" it says 1 g for sour cream and 2 g for cream cheese. I believe that that is referring to the lactose naturally occurring in dairy products.
Obviously you can't avoid ALL sugars (there's probably even some in broccoli!). Just make sure you are not eating anything with ADDED sugar.
Good luck and welcome to this forum!

Waldorfmom
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 21:53

Plan: atkins
Stats: 148/148/130
BF:
Progress: 0%

Thanks for the info...

It makes me feel better !!

s