Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 15:20

Plan: PSMF
Stats: 328/255.0/150 Female 5' 6"
BF:52%/43%/20%
Progress: 41%
Default couple questions for CADs

Hello!

I'm currently on Atkins, and have an upcoming 10-day vacation to Italy. I'm considering switching over to CAD during that time, so I can enjoy more of the local food! I'm loving Atkins right now, especially since I have virtually no cravings. I still can't believe I've been able to stay cheat free on a diet for 4 months!

So I wondered... has anyone had success do a short round of CAD and going back to Atkins? Do you have trouble staying lc after reward meals? And can the reward meal be breakfast?

I'm been reading some posts and have to admit that eating a reward meal for one hour would stuff me to the gills! So I guess even though you can eat for an hour, I'm figuring most people don't. Also having the flexibility to eat some higher carb options is appealing! btw - I scored 100% on the CAD test.

I'm a little terrified of allowing pasta, bread, sugar to pass my lips again, but also want to find a way to stay on track during vacation.

Appreciate any thoughts or comments you have!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 19:23
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

Hi Cindy:
I can't comment on going doing Atkins-CAD-Atkins. I can tell you that I just went on a cruise while dong CAD and it was great. And I don't eat for the whole hour- just IN the hour. I also used some of the hints the Hellers give, like having the waiter bring me my dessert when he brought the entree, so I could have it within the hour if I wanted it.
Good luck with your decision-
E
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 06:52
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%

Many people have CADed for vacation and come back to Atkins with no problems.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 06:59

Plan: CAD from day 1
Stats: 327/304/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default Hi Cindy,

I can't see any reason why it should be a problem to do CAD for your holiday and then go back to Atkins (if you still want to! ). However, I highly recommend you read the CAD book and make sure you really understand it first, or you could get into some real trouble. It isn't just adding a reward meal, there are lots of other differences from Atkins. For instance, no snacking (or max, 1 per day) - that might be hard for you if you are a snacker and being on holidays. And the list of foods that are acceptable outside the reward meal is fairly limited and it is vital that you stick to it exactly.

But, having said all that, the freedom of the reward meal more than makes up for those restrictions, IMHO. I have survived Christmas, birthdays, camping and a trip to Disney all while doing CAD, so of course I think it is the perfect way to go!

Good luck.
Tracy
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 10:10

Thanks everyone!

I'll pick up the book this weekend. I think this may be a really good solution to support my lc efforts during this vacation!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 10:38
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%

Cindy there is a cheat sheet on the CAD/CALP forum that will give you what you need to know for your vacation.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 19:42
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
And the list of foods that are acceptable outside the reward meal is fairly limited and it is vital that you stick to it exactly.

The veggie portion is extreamly limited compariativly. Also while cottage cheese is allowed (only 1/2 cup per day) the rest of dairy is much more limited.

They also recomend a little lower fat during CM which can be hard for Atkins peoples.

I agree you should enjoy the trip, and that includes sampling local food. You may be amazed though how easy it would be to stick to LC. Stay away from tourist traps and go to resteraunts geared tword locals. Enjoy all the wonderful seafood, veal, meat6 dishes and so on. Pasta there is also a small serving to compliment the food. The portions are much smaller then the american supersized idea of spaghetti. Some places may serve to american tastes, but if you find small authentic places it may not be that bad. You will also probably be walking your tush off and burning some carbs and cals that way

Have very small portions and pace yourself. Having a tummy ache and bowel problems is not a good way to enjoy a vacation, and after being LC for a while, some refined carbs can hit you like that.

Stay away from those europian patiseries though. They can be deadly If you can, hit market days. There you can find a variety of meats, cheeses, veggies and fruits almost all of which are natural with very little fillers or addatives. (If you find somewhere with market chicken that's cooked all day over spit, jump on the chance. Also try white sausage if they have it there (sausage blanch in france) it's something most LF dieters would faint at
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 12:41

Hi Zuleikaa, Vel and Ladybelle -

Thanks for the advice! I'm going to read the book and see if I think I can manage CAD for 2 weeks. I was already prepared to avoid pasta until the last day of the trip, but I know it will be tough when my friends are eating it daily! I'm really looking forward to the fish, etc and will look for the chicken and sausage. I'm traveling with some vegetarians and ww fanatics, so meals could be interesting! I'm gonna avoid the pastries! I used to live on baked goods and donuts, certainly my downfall!

I'm already pounding out the miles on my treadmill. I know we will be walking A LOT!

Thanks again, now I'm really getting excited to go!