Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-01-04, 22:53

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 240/198/160 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 53%
Default Aaaah! (vent)

Having TOM cravings. >_< I'm not eating anything not allowed, and I'm staying under my carb count, but I *just* made a resolution to cut back on the Advantage/Indulge and now I get slammed with the chocolate cravings.

I totally forgot to expect this. It's a shame because I wanted to dip under 220 within the week, and if this keeps up, I might not.

Oh well, not like there won't be plenty of other weeks. But still, it's a mite bit annoying.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-04, 01:54

Plan: CAD maintenance
Stats: // Female 63
BF:
Progress: 123%

try some L-glutamine and some hot tea or a long walk. hope that helps!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-04, 07:00
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/209/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 26%
Question Its O.K. today

Well, I am a chocolate addict on top of everything else. Those endulge bars got me through the worst time especially 1 week before my period. I hear some people say they have problems, but I am doing this as a change of life so they will be part of my life also. I only use them when the craving is rough. I wish I could find something to help me like a majic pill, but I stopped dreaming. I stopped smoking, regular coffee, and fast food since on induction. Good God, I need some pleasure and DR. Atkins gives me a 2 gm chocolate bar. I'm eating it. I love this program for its diversity and I believe I will live my life L/C so I need to be honest with myself and do what I can do within the 20 carbs.
Deb
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-04, 07:03
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

Be glad to know as time goes on, those cravings to will die out!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-04, 07:29
Phoenixa

Stats: 164/136.6/132 Female 172/5'8
BF:Yes.
Progress: 86%

If you're a *chocolate* craver - not just a sugar addict , try pure unsweetened cocoa in some whipped cream instead. Cocoa is a natural upper (great for those PMS days) and an antioxidant, so it's actually healthy for you. Those LC/SF "chocolate" bars don't contain merely enough real cocoa to get the health benefits from it.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-04, 08:41

Stats: 231/170.5/140 Female 64
BF:Scared to know ?
Progress: 66%

An unexpected TOM got me on SuperBowl Sunday. I was having cravings like made during the party - and I do not normally crave sweets at all - ever - even before I started Atkins. Oh well - I gave in and had 1/2 a brownie, not knowing why on earth I was having these cravings. But decided to have it - and move on. Then I awake at 1:00am this morning to discover what I think was the root of my evil cravings. Apparently loosing 20 pounds in one month has thrown my body into warp mode and I am having TOM after only 2.5 weeks from last time - gee thanks.

I am back on track today - wish me luck.. as I wish all of you the best of luck as well.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-04, 09:19

Stats: 156/135/128 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 75%

You can also try 1/4 cup whole ricotta cheese with 1tsp of unsweetened pure cocoa powder and 1 pack of splenda. Very filling, satisfying, no sugar alcohol or hidden carbs!

If cravings are still there once TOM is gone I would seriously recommend doing a couple of weeks of what we call KISS (keep it simple): meat, veggies, eggs, fats. The cravings should dissapear.

Good luck!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-04, 13:07
Registered Member

Stats: // Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 54%
Unhappy

Ok. Here's a weird question: have your boobs hurt more pre and during your TOM since doing low carb? Mine have! What is up with THAT?
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-04, 16:18
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, now SB
Stats: 142/128/110 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 44%

Mabel,
THey haven't hurt so much, but they have been itchy! It's so awkward. I'm told that it's just my hormones but i never had a problem with it before LC.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-04, 16:32

Stats: 230/149/125 Female 5feet 2inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

I was having a pms chocolate problem last week. I mixed some cocoa powder and splenda with some whipped cream then I put it in the freezer for a bit. Yummy and it did the trick for me. Almost tasted like icecream.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-04, 17:12

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 240/198/160 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 53%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabel
Ok. Here's a weird question: have your boobs hurt more pre and during your TOM since doing low carb? Mine have! What is up with THAT?

No but they've sweated more. >:[
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-04, 17:38
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

If you're not already taking a magnesium supplement, add that in. Our bodies use a lot more magnesium during the last two weeks of the cycle. Chocolate happens to contain a fair amount of magnesium. Coincidence?

I'll vouch that they chocolate cravings will diminish. I used to be a TOTAL chocolate junkie, and it does nothing for me anymore.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-04, 20:04
Phoenixa

Stats: 164/136.6/132 Female 172/5'8
BF:Yes.
Progress: 86%
Talking More cocoa info...

Oh yes, pure cocoa and ricotta cheese is great. So is cocoa and crème fraîche/Greek yoghurt with some crushed almonds (post-induction of course.)

Here's a little more about the health benefits of pure cocoa:

The Aztecs are documented to have used cocoa as a medicinal ingredient, and it was introduced to Europe in the mid 1500s. Cocoa is, of course, the same plant from which chocolate is made. The extract of the cocoa bean possesses many nutritional qualities and health benefits. It contains alkaloids known to support the nervous system, promote fat burning, improve energy levels and feelings of well-being. Cocoa is also a powerful antioxidant, known to reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease.
http://www.biotreasures.com/SBingredients.htm

Is Cocoa the New Red Wine?

Chocolate lovers can take heart in new research showing that cocoa has more health-protecting antioxidants than wine or green or black tea.

"On a per-serving basis, the antioxidant capacity in cocoa was almost two times stronger than red wine, two to three times stronger than green tea and four to five times stronger than black tea," scientist Chang Yong Lee told the AARP Bulletin. Lee and colleagues at Cornell University in New York and Seoul National University in Korea tested cocoa powder that did not contain sugar and other ingredients.

Lee suggests "a cup of hot cocoa in the morning, a cup of green tea in the afternoon and a glass of red wine in the evening [as] a good combination for the daily antioxidant intake."
http://www.aarp.org/bulletin/yourhe...overies_04.html

The cocoa bean, despite being one of the few plant fat sources to contain saturated fat, is a good source of energy, fiber, protein, carbohydrates, B vitamins, minerals (iron and magnesium) and contains flavonoids, which are the same chemicals that make wine “heart-healthy”. Studies show that stearic acid, the saturated fat in chocolate, reduced the risk for blood clots in men. It contains caffeine (a stimulant), theobromine, (a muscle stimulant) and phenylethylalanine (a mood elevator). And best of all, chocolate is an awesome tasting indulgence – hmm, a healthful indulgence – it’s not an oxymoron!

I really do recommend pure unsweetened cocoa for a powerful PMS-pick-me-up. However, best way to deal with sugar cravings would be to pop some Chromium and/or L-Glutamine supplement (to level the bloodsugar.) Have helped many people on this board (me included.)

/gil
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-04, 20:13
Contributing Member

Stats: 257/216/150 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%

"THey haven't hurt so much, but they have been itchy!" I thought it was just me!
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-04, 12:24

Stats: 206/144/135 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 87%

Wow! My girls are itchy during TOM too. I don't feel like so much of a freak now. THANKS!