Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 20:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/226.5/~200 Male 6'4
BF:
Progress:
Default Severe nausea and headache during Induction

My girlfriend decided to go on the Atkins diet yesterday and has suffered some bad symptoms.

In the past she has suffered from low blood sugar during the day (giving very similar symptoms to what she's feeling now) and would drink a glass of orange juice in order to feel better.

What's going on now is that later in the day (early evening) she experiences dizziness, almost to the point of passing out, headache, a sensation of sking burning, and extreme nausea.

Yesterday things got so bad she decided to break the diet and have a can of soda, some orange juice, and toast. After having this stuff she said she felt fine.

What it appears to me is that she needs to break her carbohydrate addiction, but I don't understand why the process is emulating heroin withdrawal.

I expect these symptoms to pass after a few days but I'm worried about it since we don't know exactly what’s causing it. We read about hyperinsulinism and sugar addiction in New Diet Revolution but nothing really fit in to what is going on.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 20:06
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Could you post a day's menu so we can see what she's eating?
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 20:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/226.5/~200 Male 6'4
BF:
Progress:

Sure, today she has had:

1 egg
3 sausage links (2 grams of carbs)
2 squares of cheddar chese
3 pieces of roast beef with mayo salt + pepper
2 pieces of fresh mozzarella

Yesterday, before the mentioned soda and OJ she had:

2 eggs
A pound of crab + butter
a few pieces of brocolli

After reading about loss of energy on atkins.com it looks like she's going through carbohydrate withdrawal:

Quote:
I've heard that doing Atkins will give me more energy, but since I've started the program I feel weak and lethargic. Why and what can I do?
The first thing you must do is check with your doctor and make sure these symptoms aren't a result of a medical condition. If nothing is medically wrong, you may be suffering carbohydrate withdrawal as you start the Induction phase. Headaches, irritability, nausea, dizziness and fatigue are the most common symptoms. If you have a tendency to get migraines, carbohydrate withdrawal may trigger them. If you’re going to experience withdrawal, it generally starts within 12 hours of changing your diet. Fortunately, it generally doesn’t last more than four or five days, although occasionally it can last up to a week.

If you’re not taking a multivitamin and mineral, essential oils and Atkins Dieters’ Advantage, sometimes taking vitanutrients is all you need to address the fatigue.

It’s important to understand that your body has been running on a glucose (sugar) metabolism all your life. Glucose is the body’s preferred source of fuel because it burns fast. Atkins sets up an alternative metabolic pathway for producing energy: You switch from a primarily glucose metabolism to a fat metabolism. Withdrawal occurs during the adaptation period in which that switch takes place. Until you adapt to this new fuel source, you may feel tired, have headaches or experience other symptoms.

When your body becomes accustomed to burning fat for fuel, these symptoms should go away. In the meantime, you may alleviate them by increasing your carb intake slightly. Do this by eating more vegetables such as salad greens, spinach, broccoli and string beans. Once your body adjusts and symptoms have abated, reduce your carb intake to 20 grams a day again.

One way to keep your energy up is to eat snacks rich in protein and fat throughout the day. At home, try a slice of turkey or cream cheese on celery. On the go, pack some cheese cubes, macadamia nuts or an AtkinsTM Advantage Bar.

Some people try the Atkins program for three or four days and then give up, which never gives their bodies the chance to make that metabolic switch. You don’t start to burn fat until about the fifth day of the program. Once you switch to a fat metabolism and your body adapts, you should feel energized. Most people say they get a “rush” after four days.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 20:24
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Oh, my!! That isn't nearly enough food!

She really needs to eat the 3 cups of salad greens/allowed vegetables, with generous helpings of protein/fat.

Adding the rest of the required veggies, drinking lots of water, and making sure not to go too long without eating are all crucial to feeling as good as "possible" (those carb withdrawals are a bear, I almost mugged my own child for a cookie!) on induction.

I suggest she eat a snack of veggies, maybe some broccoli and butter, or celery with cream cheese or some chicken...

The juice, etc. may have eased the symptoms, but also cause a blood sugar spike/insulin surge that make it worse in the long run.

Best of luck. We're all here to halp.