Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-26-03, 20:23
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 219/214/165 Female 70 inches
BF:34.4/34.4/20
Progress: 9%
Thumbs up Alaska Airlines serves Atkins Candy Bars!

I flew from Seattle to Anchorage this week on Alaska Airlines.

I had packed my own lunch, as usual, so when the flight attendants came through with the 'in-flight service' I politely declined. I could see my fellow passengers devouring their carb-laden sanwiches and pasta salad as I sat smugly back and dug into the cobb salad I brought along.

I finished my meal and started to notice the people sitting next to me, and the people sitting next to them unwrapping a Atkins candy bars. Strange coincidence, I thought, that the entore row I was sitting in would all have brought Atkins candy bars. Then the reality hit! The Atkins candy bar was the dessert from the in-flight meal! I was dumbfounded!

I litterally grabbed the flight attendant as she walked by and asked about the meal I had declined. I asked just for the dessert, as that was all I really wanted. She came back in minutes, with two candy bars and a cup of coffee (with real cream ---from 1st class).

She explained that she was a low-carber as well and was just as shocked as I was to see the candy bars in-flight.

Wow! How cool was that? Next time I fly (which is usally at least twice a week) I will call ahead and ask for a low-carb meal. I will let you all know what happens!

Catherine
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-03, 05:37

Plan: Lyle Style FD
Stats: 143/124.5/123 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:24.8%
Progress: 93%

Uh, oh, let's hope that no one on the flight has reactions to sugar alcohols before the flight is over!!!!!!!!!!!

Joan
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-03, 10:11

Stats: 146/121.5/120 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 94%

ROTFLOL Joan!

Great story. Maybe you could send an e-mail to them and commend them so they keep it up!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-03, 10:26

Plan: South/Atkins/Ornish/etc.
Stats: 275/260/190 Male 5'10"
BF:lbs&in. first, ok?
Progress: 18%

That's great!

I fly Alaska cross-country twice a month, and every time I make a point of mentioning that a LC meal would be most welcome. (I've been ordering the diabetic meal most times--it has the least amount of stuff I have to hand back. ) I also usually have some mixed nuts or a couple of bars in my carry-on; Seattle to Dulles is a five-hour flight.

Nice to see that we're making progress. Slowly, but it's amazing that our requests are not going unheard at all!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-03, 10:32

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 224/217/159 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 11%

Good morning Catherine,

As we say at Alaska Airlines,
"Smile with a happy face!"

Our meals have been rated as some of the best airline food for a long time now. Thanks for sharing your great news with the readers here!

Please make sure, as Beachmum said, to send an email to alaskaair.com.

I would go even further and ask that you PLEASE send a letter of praise via snail mail to:

Alaska Airlines
Customer Relations
PO Box 68900
Seattle, WA 98168

Our airline is what it is because of the awesome passengers we serve, and the employees who take time to care!

Happy flying!
Annie-Pie

Last edited by Annie-Pie : Sat, Sep-27-03 at 10:41. Reason: typos
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-03, 11:48

Stats: 259/191/160 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 69%

Southwest is my airline of choice but they have really screwed the pooch when it comes to the snacks they serve of flights longer than 2 hours. Once upon a time the snack was a turkey sausage stick, bread sticks, a small pot of cheese and a fruit bar -- not a LC meal but there were some things that were legal. Now, the snack is Ritz Cheese crackers, some Oreos and Teddy Grahams. Booo...Hisss. Needless to say, I pack my own snacks now -- one for going and one from coming home again.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Nov-22-03, 17:22

Stats: 297/264.5/180 Female 5'8
BF:3rd/attempt/toLC
Progress: 28%

Any word if Alaska is still keeping up with this LC policy?
Are any other airlines following the trend?

Alaska is my favorite airline to fly with! Just one more reason to book with them
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Nov-22-03, 17:31
Give chance a chance

Plan: General LC maintenance
Stats: 152.6/115.6/115 Female 60 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 98%

I just booked a trip with Southwest from NC to Tampa, FL, but you don't suppose....naw, I doubt it....that Alaska Air has a flight I could use to get there?

Ah well, since the flight itself is shorter than either the trip from my house to the airport here, and then again by car from Tampa to Sarasota, I guess Southwest is not going to tempt me with non lc meals.

Just the peanuts, please.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Nov-23-03, 12:24

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 224/217/159 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 11%

Tarheel:
We fly to Miami and Orlando.

Saweetie: Send your comments into consumer relations, they would love it and would give you good answers.

Make it a great day everyone.
It's fun to see all the stats and how successful LC'ing can be...with a little help from our friends!
Annie-Pie