Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: What is your preferred cholesterol treatment?
Lipitor 0 0%
Crestor 0 0%
Policosanol 1 50.00%
Other 1 50.00%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-05-04, 05:18
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 192/179/142 Female 63
BF:no idea
Progress:
Question Is anyone taking Crestor for high cholesterol?

I was recently prescribed CRESTOR. Has anyone else taken this drug? I don't think my levels are "that" high and although I have filled the prescription (a 30 day supply was $60.64 of which my insurance paid only 64 cents and I paid $60)

Instead of taking this CRESTOR, I have been taking Policosonal.

I would welcome more info on Crestor. I value experience as much as a doctor's recommendations.

Thank you,
Connie in North Carolina

Here are my numbers:

Triglicerides: 112
HDL 43
LDL 156
VLD 22

TC/HDL 5.2
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-16-04, 20:16

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

I didn't respond to the poll.....because I dont' have a "preferred" treatment as far as drugs are concerned.

I was put on Lipitor, then Zocor. I took the Lipitor for about 5-6 months and my cholesterol dropped like a rock....but I also had trouble with depression (NEVER had depression in my life until this!), stomach upset to the point of nausea almost constant with episodes of vomiting, memory loss....and I felt lousy the whole time. When I stopped it and my numbers went back up, my doc gave me the Zocor....and against my better judgement I gave it a shot and took 1 pill.....then vomited for 2 days straight!

Since then I've read a lot about cholesterol and I am NOT convinced it's the problem we're lead to believe it is. For those that have known plaque formation....and also those that have had a heart attack or thrombotic stroke, yes....they need to get their levels down. But I firmly believe that those of us without a personal history of vascular problems NEED cholesterol and gain no benefit from lowering our blood levels. We need cholesterol to keep our blood vessels healthy. I firmly believe now that our bodies will regulate themselves IF we're eating a healthy diet. In my case my cholesterol may be high....but I also have a family history of hemorrhagic stroke....in the case of my dad, the stroke was within a few years of going on LF (this was before statins)....and I wonder if he'd continued to eat as he always had if he might have avoided that.

So....my treatment of choice would be a healthy diet....lots of veggies and good meats. Few processed foods, and low carb. Also a MVI daily, essential oils, and lots of water.

Here's a link to a site that explains a lot: http://www.thincs.org/
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-17-04, 04:38
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 192/179/142 Female 63
BF:no idea
Progress:
Thumbs up

Thank you so much, Cindy Sue.

I will share the post with my husband. He, too, was prescribed CRESTOR and because his cholesterol numbers were double the year before, he got a 40mg dose. He cuts the pill into 1/4/, has felt weak and AWFUL every since he started taking it. He says the CRESTOR makes him edgy as well.

Thanks for including the website. I will email it to myself and Wayne and I can read it together.

Connie in North Carolina
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Apr-17-04, 07:58

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

Connie.....do a forum search on Cholesterol and you'll find lots of info...probably most in the LC Research and Media forum. There are many articles out there and apparently there are more and more docs that are questioning the benefits of statins and diet restriction in people without documented vessel disease.

Curiosity here.....how high were your husband's levels? did he see a reduction on the meds? did his doc try anything before prescribing meds? Does he have heart disease or any other risk factors (like diabetes, familyhistory, etc)?

My old doc was very reluctant to start anyone on statins, while the one I see now seems to think they're harmless.