Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 12:47

Plan: My Own
Stats: 356.8/335/190 Female 5' 9"
BF:huh?...what?..%#$~
Progress: 13%
Default Egg & Meat Fast....

What does this consist of?...I think I want to try this!

Thanks in advance

-K
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 16:17
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Kish,

Are you really stalled? That is, 4 to 6 weeks with no pounds OR inches lost?

Bear in mind, too, that the so called egg fast is just something that someone has made up. It has no connection with Atkins. Dr Atkins suggests the Fat Fast - but only for people who are severely metabolically resistant. That is, they cannot lose any weight or even get into ketosis any other way.

I would be most reluctant to try an egg or meat fast under any circumstances.

Following your programme as written is the best way to lose weight and improve your health.

This sounds a little preachy, doesn't it? Sorry about that, but I see so many people diving into this or that fast without realising they can be contributing to the yoyo effect of dieting. And that effect is all detrimental.

All the best to you!

Rosebud
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 19:43

Plan: Atkins / Protein Power
Stats: 215/152/150 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 97%
Default Kish - for you

It started as an unofficial egg fast and morphed into an egg & meat fast. I basically focused on keeping my calories in the 1,200/day range and ate all of the eggs and meat that I could within that amount. I also tried to maximize fat (so I guess it was a combined Egg & Meat & Fat Fast) by cooking with a lot of olive oil (being careful to measure it and include it in my daily calories) and by sometimes throwing out the white and eating just the yoke.

The idea is to keep carbs as close to zero as possible, meaning that your only source of carbs is what is in the eggs. So you can use seasoning to liven things up.

I would reccomend using keto strips durring the fast if you don't do so already. This will let you track how deep into ketosis you are. Very deep, in my case. I would drink 200oz+ of water each day and the strips would stay dark purple.

While keeping calories to fewer than 1,200/day (do NOT go below 1,000) was a bit of a challenge at first. After a few days I was so full all the time that I practically had to force myself to eat.

I stopped the fast a few days ago having dropped about 11lbs overall and finally gotten into the 150lb range. I have only gained back a couple of pounds.

There are probably a lot of people who would warn against this type of regimen, but I think for a limited period of time it can be a great thing to do, even if you gain all of the weight back. I was totally stalled out a while back and did the Atkins fat fast for a few days. I dropped a bunch of weight very quickly. When I went off the fast I put all the weight back on, but it didn't matter b/c I had broken through a key weight loss level and that was a great help psychologicaly. I had broken a plateau and it was very easy for me to break back through that level when the time came.

Good luck.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 19:44

Plan: atkins/fat fast
Stats: 140/140/120
BF:
Progress:

I need to lose a lot of weight quickly and I'm not sure if I should do a fat fast or just stick with induction. ANy suggestions?
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jul-12-03, 03:44
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 255/233/120 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

ep2073

At 5'11" how are you overweight at all?... it appears that you are already underweight.

Most people lose very well on induction for 2 weeks and then the loss slows down for most it seems.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 16:28

Plan: atkins/fat fast
Stats: 140/140/120
BF:
Progress:

THe reason I want to lose weight is because I used to be considerably smaller and would like to get back to my old shape. I am a model but can no longer work until I am my usual measurements.
Atkins used to be pretty effective for me, but I have never really stuck to it, which I believe has rendered me somewhat metabolically resistant - going on induction won't "shock" my system like it would for someone who is used to a much higher carb intake. Is this possible?
What do you suggest?
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 18:36
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%

I'd say try the egg and meat fast.. or the meat fast, or the fat fast... they really seem to be effective. Of course it's not optimal for eating long term but that's not what you're looking for. Just double or triple up on vitamins if you're really cutting on calories, if I don't I get severe muscle cramps.

Good luck!
Meg
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 12:23

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%
Lightbulb Would Like To Break My Stall Too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by timco
It started as an unofficial egg fast and morphed into an egg & meat fast. I basically focused on keeping my calories in the 1,200/day range and ate all of the eggs and meat that I could within that amount. I also tried to maximize fat (so I guess it was a combined Egg & Meat & Fat Fast) by cooking with a lot of olive oil (being careful to measure it and include it in my daily calories) and by sometimes throwing out the white and eating just the yoke.

The idea is to keep carbs as close to zero as possible, meaning that your only source of carbs is what is in the eggs. So you can use seasoning to liven things up.

I would reccomend using keto strips durring the fast if you don't do so already. This will let you track how deep into ketosis you are. Very deep, in my case. I would drink 200oz+ of water each day and the strips would stay dark purple.

While keeping calories to fewer than 1,200/day (do NOT go below 1,000) was a bit of a challenge at first. After a few days I was so full all the time that I practically had to force myself to eat.

I stopped the fast a few days ago having dropped about 11lbs overall and finally gotten into the 150lb range. I have only gained back a couple of pounds.

Good luck.

Timco...How long did you do the fast and what did you use for fiber...??? That's my main concern with cutting out the carbs...fiber....when I introduced fruit...grapefruit and strawberries...I became regular again...but I am in a stall.... Constipation is a difficult issue for me, although I would like to do the fast to perhaps break the stall...
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Sep-13-04, 11:20

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 225//140 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 34%

I've been reading about all of these fasts. I wonder if the key could be more exercise along with the fat fast. My doctor says if you have too much meat it too can turn into carbs. And even though I hate it. you need a whole lot of water to help the loss come along.
Listen to me now. I need to take my own advice