Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-19-02, 06:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 258/241/155
BF:
Progress: 17%
Angry Side topic to Discrimination thread

When I started Atkins this past Sept. 1, 2002, I had 103 lbs to lose to get to my goal of 155 (that's the top end weight for my height according to the charts--my doctor said 140 would be ideal for me *hahahaha*--haven't seen 140 since I was ten years old and told her so).

Anyway, the thread on Discrimnation struck a chord to a pet peeve of mine...how many of us "heavies" are faced with complete discrimnation at the doctor's office?????? Medically, this can be a very dangerous situation.

In case you don't know what I mean...you go to the doctor cause something suddenly started hurting badly that hadn't done so before and instead of taking it seriously the doctor tells ya you're too fat and to lose weight?? (it turned out to be a pinched nerve) Or you're feeling "under the weather" and you get the same answer but later it turns out you're anemic (hope I spelled that right)? OR (and I hate this) the doctor prescribes a huge amount of antibiotic (like 875 mgs three times a day) for your bacterial infection (in my case bronchitis) and mutters that it has to be a "heavy" dose because of my weight and prescription strengths had to be based on weight according to their charts (and the prescripton made me feel so sick I arbitrarily cut back on the amount I had to take (took it twice a day) then went out and found me a NEW doctor!)

How many of us really really hesitate to go to the doctor for anything anymore unless it's serious????? And is that right? NOPE!

Anyway, because of these incidents I've learned I had to take control and have an aggressive attitude when going to see the doctor for anything because I am painfully aware of their own "preconceived" ideas concerning people who are overweight.

BTW: my new doctor who I've seen for eight years now is a real sweetheart. She's not happy about my idea for Atkins but she said if it does the trick then use it. She wants to keep an eye on my blood levels of course (which Atkins insists you do anyway as scientific proof the diet does work the way he says it does) and says a blood workup every six months is a reasonable precaution....*sigh*

There...I feel better now!
Sponsored Links