Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-04, 04:39

Plan: 30/60/90
Stats: 000/000/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Hello and question

Hi everybody.

I just joined this forum a couple of days ago.
I hope to make some friends here for laughs and support. I posted some personal history on the Introduce Yourself section yesterday so I won't repeat myself here.

Anyway, I bought some Shiratake noodles by mail order following the link someone posted here recently. The packets they came in have only Japanese writing on them! I have no idea how or how long one can store them for - does anyone here know? They are in the fridge right now (I bought 5 packs)
I guess I should phone the mail order company but I fear getting someone whose english is on a par with my japanese!

BTW, the noodles were a hit! Husband and I liked them very much. Just as well given the quantity I bought!

neo_crone
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-04, 08:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/234/200
BF:don't care!!
Progress: 24%

I'm fairly certain that you keep them in the fridge but I can't help on the 'how long' bit. It was me that posted the link - try emailing the shop/site, that might be easier than calling them up!

How did you cook them out of interest?
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-04, 10:10

Plan: 30/60/90
Stats: 000/000/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi Lisa

I drained the noodles from the liquid in the pack, then boiled them in some slightly salted water for a couple of minutes, before draining and serving (with salmon steaks, broccoli, lemon butter sauce, yummy)

Though they were good, I can't say there was a huge serving for two people. They are pretty tastless au natural Very like cellophane noodles.

I'm a bit concerned about storage in case I can't eat them up fairly soon. It was pretty expensive to buy them once the P+P and VAT got added, but the service was excellent. It would be great to buy in bulk and freeze them!

Good idea about e-mailing mountfuji.com. They will have to reply in english! I'll post results.
They are definitely a great addition to the food repetoire IMHO.

neo_crone
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-04, 10:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/234/200
BF:don't care!!
Progress: 24%

I asked my Japanese friend about their cost and she said that Mount Fuji is actually very cheap compared to other Japanese suppliers, so that's a comfort. P&P always adds so much to buying anything but I don't have anywhere near me that sells Japanese food. Well, not that doesn't involve a car trip anyway.

They do sound good - I think I'm going to have to give in a make a purchase on pay day.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 02:59

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%

Hi Neo Crone and welcome to this site.

Every success.

Can't help on the noodles front. Never had them.