Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 11:46
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%
Default "Sugarless candy takes center stage at Chicago show"

Sugarless candy takes center stage at Chicago show

Reuters, 05.16.03, 7:25 AM ET

By Bob Burgdorfer

link to article

CHICAGO, May 16 (Reuters) - Candy may not be a health food, but confectioners are quickly adding more sugar-free sweets to accommodate an aging population and parents who want their kids eating less sugar.

At the All Candy Expo this week in Chicago, large and small candy makers were touting sugar-free or low-calorie products.

"We are offering a lot of sugar-free offerings. It is really just looking at what consumers need and want and making sure there are products for everyone," said Susan Fussell, spokeswoman for the National Confectioners Association, which sponsors the Expo.

Industry data show sales of diet and sugar-free candies increased 23 percent this past year at a time when sales of all confections increased 1.5 percent. Sugar-free gum sales were up 7.9 percent, while regular gum sales slipped 6.3 percent.

Billed as the largest confectionary show in North America, the Expo is where retail stores shop for candy that will later be sold to the public.

Candy is a $24 billion business and while more traditional chocolates, mints, and novelty items were featured at this year's Expo, there were many candy makers showing off new sugar-free items.

Several vendors said concerns about obesity both in children and adults plus the aging population are behind the move toward sugar-free and low-calorie treats.

Swiss-based Nestle <NESZn.VX>, which makes Butterfinger and Baby Ruth chocolate bars among others, was featuring two new sugar-free versions of its Nips and Turtles. Nips is a caramel hard candy, while Turtles are chocolate-covered peanuts or pecans.

Although a small percent of the company's candy sales, the product line is growing.

"It is growing not only for Nestle but as an industry as a whole," said Patricia Bowles, spokeswoman for Nestle. "It is not only for the diabetic community, there are a lot of people today looking for a lower sugar product."

"As you get older, you need to have alternatives and hopefully you are not straying too far from the brands you grew up with," said Bowles.

At the Expo, Hershey Foods Corp. (nyse: HSY - news - people). was featuring sugar-free Reese's Peanut Butter Cups and sugar-free chocolate candy.

At the booth of gum giant Wm. Wrigley Jr. Co. (nyse: WWY - news - people) a spokeswoman said sugar-free gum has been a strong seller and accounts for much of the company's gum sales.

Another reason the sugar-free candy movement is gaining momentum is new sugar substitutes.

"What I've heard a lot of exhibitors say, is there has been a lot of advancements in the sweeteners that are available to them which make some of the products quite good," said Fussell. "What we have been seeing a lot of this year and this past year are the sugar-free chocolates."

Carbolite Foods, Inc., a Evansville, Indiana, company, displayed a variety of sugar-free and low carbohydrate chocolate bars.

"What we've done is create a market to put candy in the diet aisle," said Gerry Morrison, Carbolite president. "Our customer base is 70 to 75 percent women, average- to high-income, 23 to 55 years old."

While many of the sugar-free offerings are targeted at adults, there were some for children and young adults.

Schuster Marketing Corp. of Milwaukee was showing off its new youth-oriented, sugar-free Blitz Stoked Power Mints, aimed at 7- to 22-year olds, said Steve Schuster, president of Schuster Marketing Corp., which sells the mints.

"You have all of these action mentality people buying sugar-free now too," said Schuster.

Copyright 2003, Reuters News Service
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, May-18-03, 01:27
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 277/223/180 Male 71
BF:
Progress: 56%
Default Only the beginning, but sadly far from the end

I'm delighted the candy-producing industry is being shaken up from just business-as-usual table sugar type sweeteners.

However, merely offering a side-line consisting of the current compromised crop of sugar alcohols is a heck of a long way from a real solution, as testified by the indigestion suffered by myself and too many others, even to the point of downright stopping our weight loss progress.

Recently, I was encouraged in seeing Hershey foods, the giant of giants getting into the table sugar substitution act (but let's get real: none of these "Sugar Free" candies by any manufacturer are truly sugar-free, but merely free of common table sugar - just about any other sugar variety is still given a green light, yet allowable by law to misleadingly claim it's "Sugar Free" and implying a misleading all's well signal).
Back to Hershey's. When I thought of their potentially high research dollars available in devising the Next Big Thing for table sugar substitutes... for a while, we suffered through Lactitol's initial use (which has been mostly phased out for candy bars the past couple of years) and then progressed to a partially easier on the digestion Maltitol - yet far from being a good solution, what might be next? For those who haven't yet read the bad news, Hershey has regressed to injecting the retro sugar alcohol Lactitol, and even added what my eyes identify as a hydrogenated oil (translation: trans-fatty
acid) in the let's-get-excited-about-it-being-sugar-free peanut butter cups. You call that progress? It's not even keeping up with the state of the art! Still, I wondered if somehow their "mix" of it might be a superior blend or otherwise superior. My digestion and dietary progress paid the price one weekend for my giving them the benefit of the doubt - it doesn't matter if it tasted decent. A few quick moments of sugar alcohol chocolate bliss isn't worth the rest of the day in cramps, indigestion and ketosis-blowing aftereffects - especially when we surely can do better (and no, I didn't scarf down a whole bag).

Don't get me wrong: While we've got to get past shoving so many Oreo's and Hershey bars (both table or alcohol sugar varieties) down our kid's and our own throats, these "version 1" attempts are hopefully merely the first stumbling steps along a long path.
But heralding these initial problem-ridden steps as "sugar-free" is tempting the less-informed public into a potential complacency that the solution's been found and all's well? With carcinogen-causing trans-fatty acids in Hershey's Brave New "Sugar Free" Peanut Butter cups, combined with the problem-ridden aftereffects of Lactitol, all's most certainly not well - yet. And that "yet" can be quickened or lengthened by public ignorance/apathy or pressure to do better. It's up to us.

Kent, I've read a lot of your posts and respect them a great deal and would like your reaction on this too... thanks.

Last edited by GaryW : Sun, May-18-03 at 01:38.