Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-26-02, 05:13

Plan: Atkins for now.
Stats: 135/?/115? Female Short. 5"3
BF:Don't wanna know.
Progress: 15%
Talking Atkins chat transcript

Atkins did a live chat on AOL.. I don't think anyone else posted it so I figured I would..

LINK but it only works if you're on AOL (theres previous Atkins transcripts as well, but I figured I'd post this one which was mondays)

AOL members got the skinny on the popular and oftentimes controversial Atkins diet from the man who invented the diet himself, Dr. Robert Atkins. He discussed how a diet rich in protein is really the secret weapon to a lifetime of weight-loss success and more. See what he had to say below!

Scroll down to read the full transcript...

Livemc: We’d like to welcome nutrition expert Dr. Robert Atkins to AOL Live! He joins us this evening to discuss his diet and his new book, ‘The New Diet Revolution.’

Livemc: Welcome Dr. Atkins, do you have any opening comments for our members?

Dr. Robert Atkins: I hope to demonstrate to all of you that... many people who have criticized the low-carbohydrate lifestyle have not studied the scientific papers that have proven what we have described.

Livemc: Chino1309 asks:

Question: How does this Atkins diet work?

Dr. Robert Atkins: The controlled-carbohydrate lifestyle that I have written about takes advantage of our backup fuel system, our stored fat. The simplest way to maintain weight loss is to allow fat to serve as the primary fuel, and this is done by allowing the person to restrict their carbohydrates, so that fat is used as fuel. We start with a significant amount of salad, yet most of the time is spent on the diet with considerable amounts of vegetables as well as meats, fish, poultry and eggs. The Atkins promise is that you control your carbohydrates, which will reenergize your body to control fat. That will lead to a healthier lifestyle that will prevent diseases.

Livemc: We have a lot of members asking about how the Atkins diet can also help with certain medical conditions like diabetes, high cholesterol and weight gain due to hormone treatment and menopause, and also if it's safe for people with those conditions.

Dr. Robert Atkins: It is clear that our lifestyle can put an end to the nature of diabetes. Currently, diabetics are being told to follow a low-fat diet, which causes their blood sugar to rise. Whereas our diet leads to almost no elevation of blood sugar. Thus we are able to move many off of their medications, much more so than any other diet. Once people are more aware of this, the incidence of diabetes should drop greatly.

Dr. Robert Atkins: Women taking estrogen and other medications for menopause are taking prescription items which cause weight gain and restrict weight loss. Even though a low-carb diet is effective, this condition demands reduction of the quantity of hormones that they replace. Nutrients such as boric acid let women reduce medication and still keep symptoms of menopause down. This program, by controlling carb consumption and burning fat, will give the aging population an edge to be able to lose the extra pounds and keep them off. It also allows you to control blood sugar, because spikes in blood sugar will accelerate the aging process. So by slowing down blood sugar, you slow down aging.

Livemc: Member GELTURNER asks:

Question: What is the longest period of time you should remain on this diet?

Dr. Robert Atkins: Easy! This is definitely a lifestyle change, and one should continue to follow the maintenance program for the entire duration of one’s life! The induction phase of the program, which is the initial phase, has been studied in controlled trials and has been show to be safe for as long as six months on the induction. Induction is meant to be only a brief period of time. But for those that have a substantial amount of weight to lose, they could do it for six months.

Livemc: BigBook1982 asks:

Question: Tried your diet years ago. It was very successful. This time having difficulty getting off carbs. Any ideas to get me jump-started? Thanks.

Livemc: Lots of members have been asking about kicking carb cravings, etc.

Dr. Robert Atkins: When people have difficulty stopping carbs, this could represent an actual addiction. And like any other addiction, such as alcohol, the effective treatment is to go through abstinence, so that in a matter of a few days, the addiction will stop. The use of certain amino acids is very useful for this condition. Very often this addiction is due to having unstable blood sugar. The treatment is to avoid carbs, and the symptoms will clear up. It is also important not to skip meals. If you have all the proteins, fats and veggies that you need, you are more likely to stay on the program.

Question: Any special dietary advice that you would recommend for those who are tempted to turn to comfort foods in the current economic downturn?

Dr. Robert Atkins: The industry has caught up with the needs of the consumer. Now that there are more people aware of carb consumption, there are carb-controlled items available in the form of candy bars, breads, pastas and such. So when you are looking for the "fix," you can use these products and not sabotage yourself.

Livemc: ErinGOJill asks:

Question: Dr. Atkins, what kind of exercise works best with the Atkins diet?

Dr. Robert Atkins: All exercise is beneficial to all people, whether they are on or off the diet. Each person should seek those exercises which are in keeping within their ability to do so. But it is important to note that weight can be lost, even for those who cannot lose weight from exercise, from a low-carb diet. It is also important to note that studies have shown that you gain lean body mass with using controlled carbs, because you are taking in adequate protein, so you are sparing your muscle by burning fat.

Livemc: DDphelp3 asks:

Question: Do you feel that the Atkins diet is good for senior citizens like me? I want to lose weight around my middle.

Dr. Robert Atkins: Absolutely! I am a senior citizen, and I have been on the diet for close to 40 years. Plus, at the Atkins Center in New York City, we have treated over 15,000 senior citizens with our program.

Question: How do you think the recent beef recalls might impact people's attitude toward eating red meat?

Dr. Robert Atkins: We have not noticed any impact. In the food industry, any food at any time can become contaminated, and it shouldn't be a reflection on any one food. But people do need to be careful and follow recommendations so as to avoid the contamination.

Livemc: Sblombardino asks:

Question: How much weight can one expect to lose following the plan, exercising and getting the recommended water intake?

Dr. Robert Atkins: It is different for men and women. Men lose much more rapidly than women. Men can lose up to 14 pounds in two weeks, and then it slows down. And as you work through the phases of the program, you lose one pound and such until you get to maintenance. Women lose six to eight pounds the first two weeks, then it drops to four, then two, as you move through the phases. We have had many of our male patients show a total weight loss of over 200 pounds, and female of over 80 pounds. That is astonishing, as other programs promise only 10 to 20 percent, and then have to resort to drugs or even greater reduction in calories. With Atkins, the truly obese have the option of losing all their weight.

Livemc: CaroleAnn022:

Question: What carbs are permitted?

Dr. Robert Atkins: At first, only veggies. Then you add in seeds and nuts, then you add berries (low glycemic foods) if you are at maintenance, then grains such as brown rice. There are alternative foods, such as Advantage bars, which have some carbs, even though they were designed to have considerably less than those foods that they are replacing.

Question: Is the mainstream medical community becoming more accepting of the critical role nutrition plays in health?

Dr. Robert Atkins: Yes. The practicing physicians very clearly have been using our program on their patients. Many researchers have also agreed that studies of our program deserve to be done, and many are doing it. Still, the spokespersons for many programs, such as the heart, have been reluctant to teach our approach.

Question: With all the diets out there these days, what do you think makes yours stand apart as the best long-term dietary plan?

Dr. Robert Atkins: Its success is based on the fact that the plan restricts carbs to a quantity that the plan allows for an automatic weight loss, and an automatic weight maintenance when that is necessary. And it encourages the enjoyment of eating, so that one arrives at their goal weight such that there is no desire to eat differently. We believe the improvement of well-being and the enjoyment of eating the food in our plan is superior to any other program and will encourage lifetime maintenance, and lifetime maintenance is the only important aspect of success when weight loss is the consideration.

Livemc: We have time for one last question:

Question: Do you have a Web site? How can people contact you? Thanks.

Dr. Robert Atkins: The Web site is www.atkinscenter.com. All of the information about the phases, the recipes, the lifestyle, why Atkins works, and the science behind Atkins is at the site. Information about how to contact or visit the Atkins Center is also located at the Web site.

Livemc: Thank you so much for joining us!

Dr. Robert Atkins: Thank you!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jul-26-02, 07:29

Plan: Protein Power LP Dilletan
Stats: 164/145/138 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 73%

Enjoyable reading! Thanks!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jul-26-02, 10:32

Plan: Atkins for now.
Stats: 135/?/115? Female Short. 5"3
BF:Don't wanna know.
Progress: 15%

Quote:
Originally posted by Voyajer
Enjoyable reading! Thanks!

Welcome

Why'd you guys move it though? I thought it had more to do with Atkins then research.. lol Guess I missed something