Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 13:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 302.2/302.2/185 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default I need airline travel tips

Hi everyone,

I'm going to be hopping on a plane tomorrow and I was wondering if anyone has any tips about snacks to bring on a flight. I'm still officially within Induction (it'll be day 12) but I know I'm firmly in ketosis and my carb intake has been consistently between 13 - 17. I feel I would be okay to eat some of the "restricted foods" as long as they don't up my carb intake (i.e. bars).

I don't want to give myself an excuse to eat the meal on the flight (it's about a 5.5 hour flight, although with delays on and off the ground you never know how long it can stretch out to), so I know I will want to be eating something. While the food is never great, I've always looked forward to the meal as a break in tedium. (Although, I'm travelling with two other people, and I've already warned them I'm confiscating their cheese slices hehehe).

I am considering going out and purchasing a bar to take along as a real treat if I'm tempted during meal time. Any other (preferably Induction friendly) recommendations? I don't really believe I'll be truly "hungry"... I think it's more likely that I'll feel left out when everyone else is eating, as well as the boredom factor while sitting in one chair for that period of time.

One other quick question - am I better to take a meal to see what might be edible on it, or to say no thanks and stick to my packed lunch?

Thanks!
Wynter
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 13:14

Stats: 372/342/185 Male 70
BF:
Progress: 16%

atkins bars should be fine, also, pepperoni sticks and string cheese, nuts if you have to - but i would stay away on induction personally! good luck - you can do it!!!!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 13:28
Registered Member

Stats: 225/180/175 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 90%

I think that having a variety of things in small bags would be good. Cheese, meat sticks, celery and cream cheese, green or red pepper, olives, small dill pickles, maybe even a small container of blue cheese salad dressing. I know the feeling of being out of "comfort zone" for available food. Just come prepared.

I also note that you are only eating "13-17" carbs. Watch out you do not go too low, you want to shoot for about 20, according to DANDR.

Good luck you are doing great
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 13:50

Plan: Atkins / Curves
Stats: 182.0/182.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:27.2

Cheese sticks, pork rinds (if you like them), rolled up meat, I was going to suggest hard boiled eggs, but I don't think anyone would thank you for peeling an egg in a plane... stinky!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 14:14
This is the year

Stats: 194/186.8/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

If you can, eat a good sized meal either at home before leaving for the airport, or eat one at the airport before your flight. It's fairly easy to stick to LC if you go to a fast food joint and get the burger no bun. It helps a lot with not feeling hungry on the plane. Then have something to munch on like mentioned by other people. I would take one bar. Once I took 3 or 4 thinking that it would be enough. Problem was I couldn't eat more than one without feeling grossed out!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 15:17
Contributing Member

Stats: 260/235/150 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 23%

Wynter,

I travelled during my 2 week induction period which I just finished. I take mozarella cheese sticks and my favorite is CarbWise bars (raspberry chocolate, and lemon yogurt). These are very bulky but only 4 carbs..if you can spare them. They can be found at WalMart. You must eat them with at least 8 oz of water. They taste great - to me anyway-- and with the water they make me feel full. I have also scavenged the snack kit for lunch meat and cheese

Slim Cat
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 15:23

Plan: Atkins / Isagenix/ IF
Stats: 282.5/210/160 Female 5'7
BF:71%/31.66%/20%
Progress: 59%

I travel a lot and did on induction. Be aware that most airlines have special LC meals if you request them in the future None the less, I can't eat those due to allergies, but I bring cheese sticks, cheese crackers from the recipe on this site, rolled salami (keeps better), and cut up english cucumber, brocolli, and atkins french dip.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 17:01

Stats: 180/163/125 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 31%

Watch out for the hidden carbs in those bars. Use the hidden carb calculator on this website. All the snack recommendations above are good. Also, do contact the airlines for a special meal. Don't let yourself go too long without eating something. I did that on a flight in July (because I couldn't eat the regular meal and didn't think to call ahead) and felt VERY BAD the next day. Good luck!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 17:34

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 224/217/159 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 11%

As an airline -employee family, let me offer you some advice from our many years of travel....

First, ask for water. The flight crew will come through when the jet hits cruising altitude, and they'll have their handy dandy beverage cart. Ask for water. Then ask them for the cup, the ice and the bottle so you can refill it yourself. This is no inconvenience for them.

For food: Call ahead tonight and ask for a special diabetic meal. If you give them enough hours, they will do it, no charge. Watch what they serve though! Each airline's caterer is different.

Keep drinking the water throughout the flight.
Eat the almonds they serve. 1/4 cup = 1 effective carb. Or bring your own. Also, eat a good meal of eggs and cheese with butter before you check in tomorrow.

If we just made it on a long 12 hour Trans-Atlantic flight, you will be just fine. Keep in control. Sounds like you already are prepared.

I wish you an awesome flight! Annie-Pie
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 19:42

Stats: 302.2/302.2/185 Female 5'6
BF:

Thanks for all the great tips!

Since I'm travelling on a pass (lucky me has a family member who works for the airline), I don't have the option of requesting a special meal. However, with all the great suggestions, I don't think I'll miss it.

Thanks!
Wynter
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 20:47

Plan: The Obesity Code
Stats: 563/521/199 Male 6'4"
BF:
Progress: 12%

5.5 hours is not that long. If it was me, I would take:

- Bag of peanuts for a treat (just a small bag)
- Atkins Advantage Bar
- Couple of bottles of water

Then on the plane ask for a glass with ice for your water. Simple. Never eat airplane food. Don't even eat their peanuts. Get the good stuff
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-03, 02:17

Stats: 195/165/130 Female 159 cm
BF:
Progress: 46%

Last time I took a plane I ate parts of the meal they served : chicken breast, green beans, cheese.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-03, 04:16

Plan: atkins/protein power 1st
Stats: 269/278/210 Male 5 feet 10 ins.
BF:33%/30%/ ?
Progress: -15%

I eat what makes sense from the meal provided.

I did get some strange looks when I ate the butter pat using my plastic knife.

I am not sure whether it was the sight of the butter dissapearing neat or the knife in the mouth that aroused the stares.

Good job my mother wasn't watching!
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-03, 05:03

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/157/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 40%

I do a lot of traveling too. I always leave on a FULL stomach, and have a bar or two with me, some nuts, and lots of water. If I knew I was going to be more hungry, I'd take some ham and cheese roll-ups, and maybe a ziplock baggie of some cut up cucumbers in a tinge of dressing. Sugar free peanut butter and jelly on a low carb tortilla is good too.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-03, 06:29
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

I travel fairly frequently by plane. I bring a large bottle of water and a salad with protein on the plane with me. I take plastic utensils so there is no security problem. I have discovered that most airports have someplace that will sell you a take-out salad -- try Starbucks (chicken caesar salad) or California pizza kitchen or whatever vendors are available at the airport from which you are traveling. They salads can survive for a few hours without refrigeration. I'm not on induction, so I also always pack some nuts for the plane trip. If you don't bring them from home (for example, when you are returning from a trip instead of leaving on a trip), you can find nuts in most airport newsstands along with all the candy and other high-carb junk.