Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-02-03, 17:11

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 262.5/253.5/160 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%
Default My sister asked about the holidays

My older sister and I are both on LC plans and we both have noticed our sugar cravings have been greatly reduced. LC takes care of the physical part. During the holidays you get such mental pressure with all the baked goodies and people trying to push them on you. You even get cookies, cakes, etc.. for gifts. Some people do not understand the word NO when you say no thank to them for you trying their special dessert they worked all day baking. Emotional part is hard, because people think if your not enjoying the entire holiday spread you are not celebrating the holidays. My sister and I have decided to stick together to help each other through that and also we will each bring a low carb friendly dish, so at least if there is nothing else there to eat we will have at least two things to eat, besides the turkey. The holidays are not far away and it starts with Halloween. I would love hear any input on your holiday strategies whether it's support, food, people pressure etc..
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-02-03, 17:30
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

As stressful as it can be, at least you have a buddy to suffer with!

Seriously, I've flat-out explained to people my way of eating, but to avoid hurt feelings have become very creative about pushing small portions of carby foods around on my plate, pawning them off on my son or the nieces and nephews... sometimes the hostess just doesn't "get it" so subterfuge is in order..<heh heh heh> I had to tell my aging aunty with the cookies I just "can't have sugar", since the whole thing seemed to go over her head..

I like "potluck" since I can bring something acceptible, but stashing a low-carb bar in the purse has gotten me out of a few scrapes as well...
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 01:19

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I have planned all year to do a carb blow out on Thanksgiving without over doing it. It won't be any different from any other carb blow out that I have had. If I am lucky I will lose a couple of lbs.

B57
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 07:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 205/?/160 Female 66 inches
BF:Who knows?!
Progress: 53%

All three of my children's birthdays fall within the months of November and December.. then there's Christmas.. and in October (at the end of the 7 week challenge, ironically) is Thanksgiving here in the Great White North (well.. not yet, grin!)... so I've thought about this question a lot lately... I think what I'm going to do is just say "no"... but if people insist, rather than do the long spiel thing, mainly because I'm not telling anyone I'm on a new eating plan untill I've lost a lot more weight (who needs that pressure?!), I'm just going to say, "oh, I woke up with a strange headache, and I'm afraid sweet stuff might make it worse"... (not tongiht, honey, I've got a headache.. grin, if it works for one.. ?!?!). Most people respect that and really can't argue with it. It's true too... sugar DOES give me a strange headache.. I'm just preventing it in the first place! *smile*
As for meals and partaking.. well, I don't know about everyones traditional meals.. but at ours for both Christmas and Thanksgiving we have turkey, lots of assorted veggies, and this year I'm "donating" a salad with egg and cheese as toppings... and I'll bring a bottle of ceasar dressing to go on it.. grin! Then I will make sure that my plate is full, meat, brocoli, brussels, salad... I'll spread it around... make it look good. Then I'll eat slow so that no one notices that I am the only one who didn't go back for seconds.. grin! When dessert time comes, I'll (grin) pinch the baby and "have" to leave the table to go nurse him or something... diaper, potty, ANYTHING to avoid a sugar laden table. "Oh.. I missed your famour Trifle??? DARN!".. )

Hope that helps... (can you tell I've thought about this problem a LOT?! )

Blessings... and good luck!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 10:29

Stats: 192/165/140 Female 5' 6"
BF:Shrinking
Progress: 52%

This has been on my mind recently, too. I have a great low carb cookbook that I plan to experiment with for baked goods at Christmas. Christmas dinner shouldn't be too difficult, since we usually make roast beef... we just won't be making mashed potatoes or baked ziti this year. (I will miss them )

I am a huge turkey, rutabaga and stuffing junkie from WAY back, so I have decided that I will have "some" stuffing, but will not be serving mashed potatoes and gravy with the meal. Instead, I'll probably prepare some yummy broccoli in its place.

I hope to be at, or close to my goal weight by Thanksgiving and Christmas, so I am going to give myself permission to indulge "a bit" and enjoy the festivities. I just won't go crazy with it. I feel like I've earned it.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 11:04

Stats: 167/132/132 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 100%

It can be a problem not to seem "holier than thou" went you are not eating sweets and other high-carb goodies. I think the less deal made of it the better. I went through this last year and one thing I learned is that most people don't really pay a whole lot of attention to what you are eating if have several foods on your plate and take your time eating them. Of course, if my mom were still alive it would never have worked with her. She would have noticed big time. So for those of you who are in situations like that just try to miminize the harm and do what you need to do. But for heavens sake, don't go anywhere hungry! Eat nuts or something lc and filling on the way so you have a chance at self-control.

Last edited by csj : Wed, Sep-03-03 at 11:06.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 11:25

Stats: 158/134/130 Female 5.7
BF:
Progress: 86%

I, too, am going to experiment with several lc recipes for the holidays. If I'm going anywhere I plan on taking a lc homemade cheesecake or cookies. I just have to figure out which recipes taste the best and will be enjoyed by others. My kids are the guinea pigs! If they like it, anyone will.

But I don't envy those of you who have to battle with loved ones. People's feelings are hurt so easily. I plan on explaining that I have blood sugar problems (I need to look up the actual term, hypoglycemia??-- it'll sound more serious to my family) and my body can't handle certain foods anymore. I think when you explain it as a medical problem as opposed to you just decided to change the way you eat, our family members may realize it's not just a choice but a necessity!

Last edited by GREYTSCOT : Wed, Sep-03-03 at 11:26.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 14:01

Stats: 225/192.5/180 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

I too am thinking about the holidays. I'm Jewish so my holidays are starting soon. The problem I have with saying that I don't eat sugar is all the discussions that it will start. It's really nobodys business why I'm eating the way I am or why I'm not eating certain foods. I really hate special attention on myself. Luckily my DH is also LC'ing with me so we support eachother.

Since most of the holiday dinners won't be at my house I have no control of how things are prepared. We will just have to have small portions and have a bar or 2 hidden away just in case. While I don't like relying on the Atkins bars, they're better than eating things that I know are bad.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 14:09

Stats: 205/?/160 Female 66 inches
BF:Who knows?!
Progress: 53%

I like Greytscot's idea of making it a medical thing.. it is after all, right? I know no one who would blame someone for not having alcohol because of medications they are on... so I'll just tell them my doctor has put me on a serious low-carb plan to control my hyperinsulinism (which is actually true... since my endocrinologist DID prescribe this WOE to me to help my PCOS).. hmmm.

Try the truth... what a novel idea... of course I have to make it sounds serious, not just a diet to lose weight.. or I'll get all kinds of pressures to "cheat"... no thanks!

Thanks Grey!

Blessings!

Last edited by shaerat : Wed, Sep-03-03 at 14:17. Reason: me felt like it.. nyah! *grin*
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-03, 10:59

Stats: 220/182.5/145 Female 63 inches
BF:alot!
Progress: 50%

I am also preparing for the Jewish New Year and thinking about appropriate lc recipes/foods. As the dinners will be in my home at least I can control what is served, however, I will probably also have some "regular" food around as well.

I am still planning to serve the "traditional" foods such as bread dipped in honey and apple dipped in honey (these are served before the meal) and I'm hoping a bit of each won't throw me off too much!

Anyone else have similar plans?

Froufie
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-03, 11:15

Stats: 250/188/140 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 56%

I would just say I cannot eat it for health reasons, as I am pre-diabetic. I firmly believe that if I didn't go LC that it would be WHEN, not IF, I get diabetes.
With that mindset, a cheat becomes an ultra-serious health concern, and makes me less likely to stray when offered those "treats".

I have absolutely NO INTENTION of cheating (after all I'm only cheating myself) during the Halloween-New Years craziness.

I view it as being a vegetarian... it's a lifestyle they chose for whatever reason.. they don't go around saying.. "I'm going to cheat with some red meat today!!"

Last edited by saltnpeppa : Tue, Sep-16-03 at 11:17.