Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 13:20
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Is regular soy sauce atkins friendly?

Hi, I have been using a lot more soy sauce lately since I discovered mock fried rice (mm mmm ). Even though the jar says 0 carbs, the first ingrediant (after water) is wheat followed by soy beans. It is kikoman brand. The hidden carb counter says it contains .59 grams hidden carbs.

Will this mess up my fat burning? A serving of soy sauce is like .77 tablespoon, which means I am getting less than half a carb from it.
I mean, even mayo has sugar in it now, but Dr. A said the amount of sugar in mayo is trival, so I am hoping this is one of those trivial amount things.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 13:27

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 135/123.0/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%

I believe soy sauce is ok. The only thing I'd caution you about is sodium. Salt makes me retain water in a big way. I use the Kikkoman Lite Soy Sauce which has reduced sodium, but the carbs listed per 1 tablespoon serving is 1g. Good luck on your LC journey!!!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 13:30
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 217/170/155 Female 5/5
BF:
Progress: 76%

I bought califlower for the first time in 2 years so I could try that mock fried rice! I agree with paradise that the soy is ok, my problem is that I prefer terriyaki sauce, and it is higher in carbs! I measure out everything, never just pour it on!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 13:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/205/180 Female 69 in
BF:
Progress: 64%

I think soy sauce is fine... salt will make you retain water, but I use it all the time. Here's a link to my beef & broccoli... mmm... soy-y

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=138968
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 14:39
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

There are two different kinds of soy sauce, so be careful. The kikoman should be ok, unless you have candidia. There are other brands of soy sauce though that have high amounts of sugar. If you can look for "Lite". This usually has nothing to do with fat in soy sauces, but means much less sodium.

Soy beans, dependong on how they are processed, can be very LC friendle. Black soy beans in the can have very low net carbs and are great on mexican dishes. Ready made edamama can be found in the produce section and makes a nice snack. Soy Slender soy milk has only 1 net carb per 8oz cup, and tofu is a protien choice for many of the vegitarians on LC plans. There is also soy based cheeses and other dairy products for those who are lactose intolerent.

Some people don't trust the safety of soy. Personally I have eaten it for years with no problems at all and know others that have as well. The choice weather or not to include it in your diet is completely yours. Don't be scared though seeing it is a "soy bean"
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 14:55

Plan: atkins
Stats: 400/333/250 Male 5'9
BF:49.5
Progress: 45%

I use the "lite" soy. Even it has tons of sodium