Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 10:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 155/148.5/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 26%
Question bacon

My husband and I have been doing Atkins for four days now. He really likes bacon and could eat it at every meal (I like it too). We've bought bacon that isn't honey smoked, to keep the carb count down, but I'm wondering if bacon fat is healthy. I've noticed that none of the Atkins menu plans or recipes ( at least in the version I have) use bacon. Any thoughts on this?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 10:38

Stats: 180/179.8/130 Female 5'4.75"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I also use and eat bacon alot. The things to watch most for are the amount of salt (water retention, water weight) and nitrites or nitrates in bacon and other meats. I eat the cheap regular bacon nothing special but some people have issues with not losing if the eat nitrites and nitrates. I'm sure there are more educated people on this board that can give a better explation for you.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 11:33
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Fat is your friend on Atkins, and that includes bacon. I wouldn't advise eating it at every meal, though. Maybe a few times a week. And save the grease, which is great for frying eggs or dressing up green beans.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 11:41

Stats: 235/145/130 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 86%

According to my copy of Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution, the chapter called "And Away You Go -- the Induction Phase" , bacon is listed as an acceptable food, with a footnote "try to avoid meat and fish products cured with nitrates, which are known carcinogens."

I still eat regular bacon with the nitrates, but in moderation. Only two slices a day.

I use the ready-to-eat kind so I avoid the grease mess. Just microwave it in a paper towel for a few seconds and it's ready.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-03, 15:24

Stats: 155/148.5/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 26%
Talking

Thanks for the advice....I went back and looked at my copy of the Atkins diet and there was bacon on the acceptable foods list. I must have missed it before. I gues I'm wary of bacon because of all of the low fat diet conditioning. I have to admit though, being able to eat it again without guilt has been great!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 07:50

Stats: 166/125.5/130 Female 66"
BF:24%
Progress: 113%

One small piece of advice from my experience. If you should go overboard (which is easy to do with bacon) just be sure to drink extra water. The nitrates and whatnot don't bother me, but the salt content does. I seem to retain water the day after I eat too much bacon.

Julie