Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-05-03, 11:19

Plan: Schwarzbein II, BA, IS
Stats: 125.4/119.2/115 Female 5'1" small frame
BF:33% /??? / 20%?
Progress: 60%
Default Skin probs, brittle nails, arthritis, etc.?

Okay you wonderful people. I have finally purchased Protein Power. I was very interested in its section on arachidonic acid.

This is part of an article I found on www.healthandage.com (so I don't have to retype everything!)

Certain ingredients in our food promote the inflammatory process. One, for example, is arachidonic acid, a polyunsaturated fatty acid. Although the human organism normally produces arachidonic acid itself, most (up to 90%) is supplied from food. It is contained in foods of animal origin only. Arachidonic acid fulfills an important function in our body, but in excess it promotes the formation of mediators and precipitators of the inflammatory process, especially the "free radicals."

Among substances that reduce the inflammatory process are the antioxidants: vitamins C and E, and beta-carotene; the minerals zinc and selenium; and the polyunsaturated omega-3 fatty acids. Whereas vitamins bind and neutralize free radicals, omega-3 fatty acids prevent the formation of inflammation mediators. (Jinx note: See kids - very important to take those vitamins and EFAs!)

Sensitivity to achidonic acid can manifest as inflammation in various parts of the body: allergies, skin rash - like eczema or not, chronic fatigue, arthritis, joint swelling, poor or restless sleep, difficulty on awaking - grogginess, brittle hair, THIN BRITTLE NAILS, constipation, dry- flaking skin.

Can you believe thin brittle nails?? That blew my mind. I could not figure out for the life of me what was going on. Anyway, I do not have all of these symptoms but eating really fatty stuff like bacon and lots of eggs (yolks have highest concentration of any food!) has BIG consequences for me.

Hope this helps someone. Having this info has made me feel like a new woman (hopefully a new woman, minus the rash and brittle nails!).

Your amiga,
Jinx
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-05-03, 11:44

Plan: Aktins
Stats: 225/185/150 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 53%

Jinx,

Can you be more specific as to the consequences you mention?

Thanks.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-05-03, 11:51

Quote: Sensitivity to achidonic acid can manifest as inflammation in various parts of the body: allergies, skin rash - like eczema or not, chronic fatigue, arthritis, joint swelling, poor or restless sleep, difficulty on awaking - grogginess, brittle hair, THIN BRITTLE NAILS, constipation, dry- flaking skin.

For me: constant rash, newly brittle nails, lethargy after consuming too many eggs and/or very fatty meat.

Jinx

Last edited by MsJinx : Mon, May-05-03 at 11:53.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-05-03, 11:58
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

I have cut down on the eggs because my eczema started acting up big time. This is why I now drink the shakes in the morning. But I have noticed a new problem for the last couple of week, and I wonder if it is related to this at all.

When every I get up from sitting and start to move around my left upper hip is very sore. This goes a way shortly once I start moving around. BUT let me tell you, it is really starting to make me feel old!!!!! It differently feels like a hip pain and not an internal problem. You would think something like this would show up when putting on weight and not taking it off!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-05-03, 12:03

Yep. That's how my mother's sensitivity effects her (btw, my mom is young!).

I'd just advise taking the recommended EFAs (at HIGH doses!), vitamins, and laying off some of the more fatty meat (in addition to eggs). That's my plan of action, anyway. I really want this to work! I think it can, I think it can, choo choo!!!

Low Carb Caboose!,
The Jinx