Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-03-03, 06:40
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 195/183/135 Female 5 ft. 1 in.
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default End of Induction Observations

When I started Atkins it was a test for 2 weeks. I had all kinds of conditions for quitting. Stupid stuff like if my face breaks out (it didn't), if I get constipated (slightly, but resolved itself), if I don't lose weight (lost). So here are my thoughts after 2 weeks:

I lost 8 pounds
No horrible health issues cropped up
My headaches have virtually disappeared! (that's enough to stay lowcarb for life)
My mood seems to be better, more consistant anyway
I'm no longer hungry between meals and struggle to eat meals on time somedays
I haven't cheated once!
This is so much easier than Weight Watchers
I am now losing consistantly 1 pound every 3 days, I'm going to stay at Induction level for 10-15 more pounds.
I'm ready to step up my exercise a little, have been doing Pilates every other day.

Well, enough of that. I'm hooked and you all have helped so much with all your information and support
Thank you so much,
Jane
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-03-03, 07:06

Plan: atkins
Stats: -/-/145 Female 5' 4"
BF:It Just Can't Be!
Progress: 0%

That's great Jane,

I just weighed in after 14 days.

I lost 5 pounds, 4 of them in the first 7 days.
I suspect salt is an issue for me. I have felt bloated in the past couple of days. I am drinking the required amount of water.

The important thing is, I am losing!
Thanks for the support and information everyone
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-03-03, 07:15

Stats: 180/135/135 Female 64 inches
BF:30
Progress: 100%

jhull... LOL! I did the same thing when I started this woe... not quite as precise with my definition of "what would make me quit"... but was committed to 2 weeks and then "seeing how it went". By the end of the first week I knew I was hooked! I felt so much better - and was not HUNGRY all the time - even if the weight had not started to come off (which it did albeit slowly in my case) I would have continued for those reasons alone.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-03-03, 07:29
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

Sounds familiar! I also did this for a two week test per my doctors suggestion. Freaking LOVED it and hopefully will never go back.

Moving on to OWL was scary, but I really like that too.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-03-03, 07:41
Registered Member

Stats: 184/167.5/145
BF:
Progress: 42%

Thanks Jane for post! I woke up this morning feeling so unmotivated. My induction went great, I lost 11 lbs., said I was going to stay on induction, but then I got lax, and as a result I've gained back 3.5 lbs. Thanks to your post, I'm more motivated to go back to square one!

Jzruns PS Congratulations on your success!!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-03-03, 07:51

Plan: Atkins, KISS, BFL
Stats: 205/153/154 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%

Congratulations Jane,

Good to hear of your positive results.

You'll probably have some experts weighing in here but I think you shouldn't stay on induction much beyond two weeks. You need to add more carbs to get the vegetables, etc. you need.

Are you enjoying the pilates? I am a runner who's just started yoga. I'm hoping to start pilates when I've lost some more weight. I don't want to put too much stress on my shoulders (where I have some arthritis).

Again, congratulations and thanks for sharing your success. It helps all of us!

Amy
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Mar-03-03, 08:21

Stats: 245/219/145
BF:
Progress: 26%

THANKS! Reading your post reminded me of all the benefits and LCing besides weight loss. You're doing GREAT and I know you'll continue to do this.

WE CAN DO IT!!
Sue
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Mar-03-03, 22:04
Registered Member

Stats: 195/183/135 Female 5 ft. 1 in.
BF:
Progress: 20%

Amy - I do like the Pilates. I have a video for beginners called the Method I think. My husband is doing it with me every other night. It's quite a show believe me! We are still on the first 15 minutes, but I really do like it.

Jane
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Mar-03-03, 22:58

Plan: Skinny Me Diet
Stats: 345/212.5/210 Male 6'4
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
You'll probably have some experts weighing in here but I think you shouldn't stay on induction much beyond two weeks. You need to add more carbs to get the vegetables, etc. you need.

Not an expert, but will weigh in on this one

I have been doing Atkins for about 9 weeks now and still am on an induction like regimen. On most days my carb count probably reaches more than the 20 allowed on induction, but I still think like I am on induction. The biggest difference is I don't worry about giving myself too much salad dressing, or measuring out my veggies like I used to do.

As long as you get your 3 cups of veggies a day, I see no harm in staying on induction for a longer period of time. It's kind of like when people ask me "is that diet safe?", I just simply replay "A lot safer than being 120 lbs overweight".

Last edited by mrschmelz : Mon, Mar-03-03 at 23:00.