Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-03, 02:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 144/135.5/125
BF:
Progress: 45%
Default Diet Coke let-down

Hi everyone!

This is my first thread post outside of my journal. I started the program on Monday (have lost 3.5 yeah!) and have not cheated. I also quit my diet coke addiction at the same time. Well, earlier this evening I decided to treat myself to a diet coke (I felt a little munchie but not hungry). The diet coke tastes awful! It was horribly sweet and for the first time I could really tell the after-taste from the sweetener. HOW DEPRESSING! I took 2 sips and then just dumped the rest out. I think this is going to solve the "do I or don't I drink diet coke" issue! I'm not complaining.

Okay, what is there to eat during induction that tastes sweet? Those low carb bars don't cut it!

Stefanie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-03, 02:21

Stats: 186/186/120 Female 5'2" Inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default I am not sure...

... Where I have posted this but I made something this morning which helps me greatly... It is fast.. AND good..

2 oz cream cheese
1 egg
1 tbsp Splendela
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Put the cream cheese in the microwave for about 15 sec and make it soft. Then you mix it with the egg and "scramble" it together. Add in the splendela and the vanilla and mix.. Put it on a coffee cup saucer and put it back in the microwave for 2 minutes. When you are finished sprinkle some cinnamin on top of it..

I am a VERY picky eater and I thought this was GREAT!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-03, 05:48

Stats: 178/166.0/140 Female 5'9"/174cm
BF:30.4/30.4/25?
Progress: 32%

Smurfy, you just posted a "Mock Danish" Recipe.... and yes, those things are good - and come in all kinds of variations:

<a href="http://www.lowcarb.ca/recipes/breakfast115.html">Mock Danish Recipes</a>

Did you find the German decaf yet?
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-03, 05:48

Plan: atkins
Stats: 209/179/150
BF:45.1/43.3/??
Progress: 51%
Smile

Hi,
Faster and easier is to just mix 2 Tablespoons of cream cheese, a little flavoring like lemon and a little splenda and eat. I am past induction and on Atkins for a year now and I sometimes also add a tablespoon of chunky peanut butter. Delicious.
I have bought some of the Divinci no sugar syrups and use these to flavor. Makes an excellant treat.
Bevb
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-03, 06:59

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

It might be a good idea to just stay away from sweet thing during induction completely. Induction is the time for breaking our addictions to sweets and that's hard to do when we're eating things that taste sweet even if they don't have real sugar in them. Artificial sweeteners also have a tendency to stall a lot of people so avoiding them during induction will give you the best start possible. It's only for two weeks. How about giving it a shot and waiting until ongoing weight loss to eat the sweet treats?
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-03, 07:02

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 186/161/138 Female 65 inches
BF:38/30ish/?
Progress: 52%

That's very interesting about the cokes. I still drink them on occassion and still can't taste that aftertaste, but I wasn't addicted to them either.

Instead of looking for something sweet, which is only reemphasing the "dessert" idea, try eating something non-sweet and teach your body not to need the sweet things. As you start reading more about lo-carbing you'll learn that sweet tastes will trigger the insulin process (don't ask me for details), whether sugar is involved or not.

Congrats on the d. coke detox.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-03, 07:20

Stats: 272/262/200 Male 6 feet 1 inch
BF:
Progress: 14%

I really like the EAS Carb Solutions shakes. They taste pretty good, only have 2 carbs, and they have 15 grams of protien. I usually have one in the afternoon to hold me off until I get home for dinner.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-03, 13:16

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

I can totally empathize with the Diet Coke situation. I gave up the stuff too (addict here) and when I first let myself have one again I was disgusted. Diet Rite is much better. I still have Diet Cokes in restaurants occasionally, but ick is aspartame not my sweetener of choice!

Perhaps try Diet Rite? I also indulge in mock danishes. There are great cheesecake recipes on this site. There are sugar free candies but watch out for sugar alcohols and possible sweet cravings.

Good luck kickin the sweet habit!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-03, 16:26

Stats: 144/135.5/125
BF:
Progress: 45%
Default thanks!

Thanks for all the replies. I think I'm just going to try and keep away from the sweets during the whole induction. It hasn't been too hard yet, except for the urges yesterday. I haven't been able to find Diet Rite here in Hawaii. That's not surprising. We don't have Target either. But I'm not complaining!

My ketones are at the moderate level today and I'm down 5 pounds and feel fine so obviously this is working for me. But I was a major carb eater!

Stefanie
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jan-11-03, 00:11
Registered Member

Stats: 268.5/262/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 5%
Default diet rite

I don't know if you have a Ralph's grocery store in Hawaii or not, but that's where I've been able to find Diet Rite.