Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 19:01

Plan: just low carb
Stats: 350/305/150 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default Need tips on tightening lower stomach area

This may not be the right place to ask, but I was wondering if anyone had any hints on tightening the lower stomach area.

I am one of those people who have what my doctor "delicately" terms an apron stomach.

Even though I've only lost 20 pounds I'm already noticing a definite deflation of that area, which means its going to be a real problem way before I reach the point of being ready to consider surgery for removal of excess skin.

(needless say, the deflation of the area is a GOOD thing, but I'd really like to minimize the possibility I'll have this rather bizarre flag flying below my waist while I lose down to my goal)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 19:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/266/140 Female 5 foot 8 inches
BF:
Progress: 10%

Good question! I don't know if there's an answer, but I'll be looking forward to reading your replies.

I'm going to start doing my "Abs of Steel" and "Buns of Steel" videos when I lose some more weight, in the hopes that they will help somewhat.

Cog
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 07:43

Stats: 255/228/160 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 28%

I'm curious too. The ab excercises that I do at Curves and at home (slow-motion crunches mainly) really seem to work the upper and lateral abdominal areas and not really the lower (aprony) ab area.

Though I have felt the "burn" in that area when doing slow-motion leg lifts (lie on the floor with a pillow under your head, lower back kept pressed into the ground - that's the most important part, it's the real excercise! - then s-l-o-w-l-y lift your straight legs off the floor up to 6 inches and then just as slowly lower, if you can do more than 8 you are moving too fast.)

But while that feels like it's tightening the muscle underneath it isn't shaping or tightening the apron itself.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 08:57

Plan: Atkns/CT Weight&Wellness
Stats: 335/272.5/170 Female 5 ft 3 inches
BF:54/51/35
Progress: 38%

I used to be an exercise/weights junkie "back in the day".

Best way to get your lower belly muscles is to lay flat on your back, arms outstretched and flat, palms down for balance. Keeping your feet together, lift your legs about 4-5 inches off the ground, hold, and slowly lower.

Its actually the lower slowly bit that works the muscle. The slower you lower, the more it will burn.

While you are lifting your legs, inhale.

While you are lowering your legs, exhale.

As you get stronger, and your balance gets better, you can do a few in a row without your feet touching the ground in between.

If you have trouble holding your feet togther, you can do a modified version by crossing your ankles, to help support your legs.

No doubt, when you start, it will be difficult, just do a few at a time so you dont hurt yourself, and get discouraged.

When you are done, lay with your arms outstetched over your head, breath deep and literally just SUCK IN YOUR BELLY, hold it, and release.

Keep yourself well hydrated, and use a firming moisturizer to help the skin regain some elasticity. I noticed a MARKED improvment in my skin and its elasticity since I started regularly using Nivea firming lotion.

Speaking of exercise, I met an old friend walking the other day. She's lost over 100lbs and is now a personal trainer. I asked her about situps and things that are difficult because of my weight gain, and she suggested starting with "side situps/crunches" lay flat, knees bent, keep one elbow down on the ground for support, and and lift the other towards my opposite knee. After a while this strengthens your stomache, and sides, and then doing regular situps/crunches will be easier and less stress on your back.

Good luck!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 12:10

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Also try a "reverse crunch" for lower ab work.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 14:25

Plan: low carb & Atkins
Stats: 318/296/195 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 18%

First: unfortunately there is no exercise in the world that will shrink the extra skin. The only two ways I know to tighten that skin is to either be 16 yrs old, or to put on lots of fat... in most cases these are either not possible or not desirable...

But, tight lower abs are good for you, it helps with you posture and with you back.

I do those by lying on my back, and hold on of those exercise balls (red/45cm) between my ankles (or lower cuffs), and while my arms are stretched towards my feet on tow sides of my butt (palms down), I raise my legs up (keep em straight, but do not lock your knees) and lower them slowly until the ball almost touches the floor, and again...

Last edited by Arie : Thu, Sep-25-03 at 14:27.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 19:53

Plan: General Low carb
Stats: 302/295/185 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 6%

Arie is correct, you can not 'spot reduce' and you can't make the skin dissapear. The only thing you can do is lose more fat =)
And yep, reverse crunches are great for lower abs, and your back. The reward of ab exercises will be noticeable when all the fat is gone, can you say 6 pack?
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Sep-26-03, 11:45

Stats: 215/165/145 Female 5'9
BF:26%
Progress: 71%

I have the same problem after 3 children....however, I finally got some answers. Of course you can't target weight loss, unfortunately! I started using Pilates,(wonderful),5 day abs are even harder but work! They are only a few minutes a day, so easy to include with my other workouts. My abs are toning and shrinking. Good luck!

Jess
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Sep-26-03, 14:01

Stats: 240/205/145 Female 5' 9-1/2"
BF:
Progress: 37%

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, try Winsor Pilates (www.winsorpilates.com or a ton of infomercials); they really do an amazing job of tightening the entire ab area, including almost immediate results in that lower ab area you mentioned. I've been doing them since May and I can hardly believe how much my abs have shrunk and tightened, even though I still have a lot of weight to lose. And boy, does a shrinking tummy make you feel like you are getting skinnier! My thighs are also thinner, my rear end is actually defying gravity and moving up, plus what I thought was celluloid is smoothing out. And I am 56 years old, so I know for sure that exercise works no matter what age you are!

I do the 20 minute workout three times a week and it is worth every penny.

Karla
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Sep-26-03, 18:29

Plan: just low carb
Stats: 350/305/150 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 23%

Thanks for all the suggestions -- I really have no illusions that at 47 that the skin will disappear, but I really DO need to do something to tone up that area as much as possible.

My back and posture have suffered under all this weight, now that I'm losing it I'd like to get at least some muscle tone to give them both a break!