Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-01, 11:15
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Question Losing my taste for sweetness?

I'm curious, no worried

I've been on the Atkins diet for almost 9 weeks.
Lately I have gotten myself in trouble... accidently of course
My sister made a pie and I let myself have a bite of the filling.. it was awful! The sweetness was so over bearing I couldn't taste the cherry! My face gave it away. I told my sister that since I've been LCing that my taste buds have become more sensive.
But what I don't understand is, why doesn't sweetness cause the same pleasure as it did before. You know the MMMmm sensation? Last night I frosted a cake for my daughters school project (Cell division) I liked the frosting on one of my fingers and Yuck! I used to love strawberry frosting... I used to think I was afraid of sugar, now I think I just don't like the taste. I even hardly use artificial sugar either.
My taste changed? Do others have the same thing happening to them? As for now, No one in my family will let me try their sweets ever again, oh was my sister mad!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-01, 11:37

Plan: My own
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

I wouldn't go so far as to say that I find sweet things unpleasant...but what amazes me is that I can eat things that I couldn't have eaten before without sweetener like plain whole yogurt, ricotta cheese, and even cottage cheese.

I do certainly find that I don't get as much enjoyment out of cakes etc that I used to...but this isn't an area that I like to explore on a regular basis!!!

Lisa
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-01, 11:40

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally posted by lisaf
I can eat things that I couldn't have eaten before without sweetener like plain whole yogurt, ricotta cheese, and even cottage cheese.

Have you tried mascarpone? I feel evil telling you about it if you havent

I too find things overly sweet now, a bite of a strawberry or peach that I used to put sugar on is now almost too sweet for me. And to be able to drink coffee w/o sugar or AS is something I never thought I'd see myself do.

Nat
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-31-01, 02:31

Plan: Atkins,PP
Stats: 202/147/120
BF:
Progress: 67%
Talking

Yepp Nat's got a point

It happened to me as well when I celebrated my birthday in the middle of October~.Wow, fancy eating those sweet foods that I have already long lost touch with...Cakes, ice cream. Bet you will even feel guilty eating it....Urgh!!

Whats more, some local foods that have sugar content are also seemingly unpleasant to me. The first time I ever got so sick of sugar! But of coz the consequences of eating those on my birthday meal was really bad. A big stall lasting abt 3 - 4 days.

When I tasted watermelon some wks ago, it tasted so sweet to me, when my family thinks the taste was blunt. Now I can have tea without cream and sugar and still enjoying it. Or even unsweetened soy bean milk (which my bro hates the no-sugar taste)...

and i feel there is no point eating ice cream, or even cakes now... I dont feel pleasant eating them. Though i still have a soft spot for durians....they are creamy and wonderful... but got to eat less of it ......and potatoes

but frankly speaking, even nowadays I cheat during some occasions, it has become a habit for me to eat more protein & less carb among the dishes served. And I love vegetables especially after I begin Atkins (I used to hate some veges).....
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-31-01, 08:16
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Cool Veggies

I have to admit. Nat and Karen keeped nagging me about eating veggies especially green ones. And I have to tell you, I'm so glad they did! I never new I like Zuccini, I can't believe I never ate them before. I like onions now, but I don't eat much of them, too sweet. I like radishes, heart of Palm, mushrooms, fresh spinach (Oh so much better than lettuce!). To me, salads are my sweets.
I use it like a snack. I like Oil and Vinager on them.. Not alot of dressing though. Oh I sound like a goody two shoes, I'm just as mystified by my reactions as everyone else. I didn't realize you can change your tastes so drastically. Is it psychological?
I wonder.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-31-01, 08:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 183/143/140
BF:
Progress: 93%

This drives me crazy...LOL...I don't see a difference in sweets??? Grrrrrr...

I was never one into chips, peanuts (salty snacks). Always, always love my sweets. I don't take sugar in my tea, but give me a piece of chocolate and nope...not too sweet to me, even after all this time on this woe. Why darn it?????? (Now I haven't bothered with cake, or icing since on this woe, maybe I need to try them NOT...LOL).