Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-09-02, 18:44

Plan: atkins
Stats: 287/272/210
BF:
Progress: 19%
Default carbolite chocolate

I've recently discovered carbolite chocolate bars that advertise 0 carbs. they taste great which makes me wonder if they really have no carbs. they contain the sugar alchohol maltitol and i've read conflicting reports on this product. Does anyone know if sugar alchohols are really ok for low carb diets?
thanks
scott
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-09-02, 19:12
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Hi Scott,

Most likely it has some hidden carbs. Click on Tools menu above and run the label through the hidden carbs calculator to see the most likely count.

Wa'il
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-11-02, 14:48
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

... and while you're here in the Products form, have a look through the many many conversational threads about chocolate(s), including the Carbolite brand, about maltitol and other polyols or sugar alcohols, and then (over there on the right side of your screen) click on the truth about low carb sweeteners info and get all the information you need...

Hope this helps.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-02, 16:29

Plan: Atkins/ Protein Power
Stats: 173/140/140 Female 69.5
BF:2ndX w/ Atkins
Progress: 100%
Default I bought those bars....

Well...the chocolate carbolite bars that I bought have .4 per serving and there are 7 servings/ per. My body however could not handle it...I got soo bloated and major gas. My other lc friend says she can only eat 1 serving or she experiences a similar problem. I on the other hand, ate the whole bar...I have no selfcontrol w/ those lc things...so I will be staying away from them.

Good Luck,
Erin
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-02, 16:42

Plan: General
Stats: 272/265/240 Female 5'4"
BF:alot of it!
Progress: 22%
Default ME TOO!

I had a carbolite bar today. Have been experimenting. Anyway, the package on the chocolate peanut butter listed .45g ECC. Then, in the small print it said that the malitol was 19% of the calories so I figured the 19% for the total bar and divided by 4 to get the carb count and added the .45g x 4 servings. The total bar came to like 9 carbs using that method. The calculator says about 10 carbs. Compared to a regular candy bar, I guess it is still a steal if you are close to goal and not on induction.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 13:28

Plan: General
Stats: 255/202/200
BF:
Progress: 96%

I have a couple of Carbolite bars at home. On occasion I'll have 2 pieces of the bar after dinner. They're quite heavenly when you haven't had any sugar for a long time. I didn't have any adverse reactions to them, and they don't seem to impact my LC diet at all, but then again I don't get carried away with it. A couple of pieces worked fine for me as a nice treat.

--Victor
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-02, 02:18
Registered Member

Lucky Victor!

Many of us either get major sugar cravings or (worse?) that nasty gastrointestinal distress (diarrhea and gas, yuck!).

Then again, others simply can't stop at a mere 2 pieces.

Lucky Victor!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-02, 06:32

Default IslandGirl,

That is the cutest picture I've ever seen. Are those your dogs (great danes, right)? My dogs would never be able to do that - I have a 4 lb Chihuahua and a 7lb Pomerian. I guess they could perch up onto a step or something...lol.

Great Pic,
Erin
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-02, 15:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 246.8/241.3/175 Female 5'7
BF:WAY TOO MUCH
Progress: 8%

Here's a silly question........ Are Carbolite products only sold in the USA? I am on thw west coast in Canada and have not found any of them?
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-02, 17:45

Well, I'm in the midwest and there are not anyhere - well atleast that I can find. I buy my online. I make sure I need protein powder and Flax o Meal to justify the 5 dollar shipping expense (esp'lly since they are like 1 dollar a piece). My friend in Boston says she can only find Carbolite chocolate bars at CVS, but I haven't looked there yet - due to my negative side effects. I have a ice cream shop here that makes carbolite icecream (they may or may not have the rights to that name...I haven't asked) anyway, they have icecream made with splenda - 1 carb per oz. Works for me. Anyway, if you're looking for the bars, my bf's mom emailed where the cheapest place to get them :
http://www.discount-nutrition.com/c.../carbolite.html

Good Luck,
Erin

Last edited by IslandGirl : Tue, Feb-19-02 at 12:09.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-02, 19:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 246.8/241.3/175 Female 5'7
BF:WAY TOO MUCH
Progress: 8%

Low Carb Ice Cream made with Splenda??!!!!! YIPPEEE!!!! I'd be in heaven. I 'd like to find some here (B.C. Canada). I've only seen ice ream made with aspartame ( ick!! ).
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Feb-19-02, 12:17
Registered Member

Default greetings

I've not been paying enough attention; sorry, guys!

Erin, thanks! Those are my two babies, many years ago when one of them was just under a year and the other about 1.5, and they topped out at 65 and 85 pounds when they finished growing. They're Rhodesian Ridgebacks, actually, they're not QUITE as big as they look, that bit of rail is fairly small, the tiny porch on an old house. Handsome little aliens, eh? If you like puppy pictures .... rhodies <-- here's the link to my online photo album.

LoCarbJo, I haven't seen any Carbolite products in Canada yet, anywhere. Mostly they appear to be online. Ditto on the maltitol and Splenda-sweetened ice cream, except for Chapman's which, though Canadian-made, isn't seen very much here on the west coast, but is starting to show up. I think I saw some regular Chapmans (Save-On? Superstore? ... not sure). Might want to ask your favourite store's manager to bring it in. Demand makes the market, doncha know!
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Dec-03-02, 22:54

Plan: Keto 80/15/5
Stats: 264/263/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 1%
Default I have purchased Carbolite in CANADA!!

I purchased Carbolite bars at Nutrition House at Guildford Mall, Surrey BC.

Nutrition House stores are all over Canada!
www.nutritionhouse.ca

Natascha