Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-17-03, 13:42
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default Newbie and need support!

Hi there!

I am new here and really want to succeed with this WOL. I have tried Atkins and CAD without success. No success because I always drop out within a week or two. I love my pastas, breads and sweets! I feel like I have no willpower! I have been at it for 6 days now, am down 3lbs. Now, I just need to stick with it.

What I have been doing though is uncoventional. I am not following any one weight loss plan. Maybe that is a mistake. I have been allowing myself a small serving of carbs once a day. Probably I should not be doing that.

I guess I ought to post this on a different board, this is just supposed to be for introducing ourselves, sorry!

Anyway, I am Jenny and am very excited to be here! You all look like a great group of supportive people!

Jenny
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-17-03, 13:58

Stats: 264/246/175 Female 65"
BF:??/47%/35%
Progress: 20%

Hi Jenny - I know dieting isn't easy but you need to look at this as a new way of eating, not just a diet to lose weight. I suggest you read the Atkins book so you understand why this way of eating works. Begin as suggested with induction and you'll find yourself dropping pounds soon.
Good luck! This forum and the people here will be very helpful to you as you begin your new WOL.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Nov-17-03, 14:25
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Tampa Girl, thanks for responding! I have read the Atkins book, but I think I need to read it again. I guess I really do need to start with induction. Not just my own version of this diet or that. Ugh! It is so hard for me. I'm at home with my boys and temptation rears it's ugly head too often!!!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 01:41

Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

Welcome! I have a 5-year-old so I can tell you all about temptation, LOL. He loves peanut butter and jelly, pretzels (one of my past favorites), and a myriad of other things that I previously loved to eat.

However, he also has a great love for salad, nuts, berries, vegetables and a lot of other LC foods.

So, here's how I did things. At first, I told him that he just couldn't have a particular food right now (like pancakes), that later on when I could eat more carbs and came up with an LC pancake recipe, that we would all have pancakes again. That made him very happy. I bought things for him that the rest of the family doesn't really care much if they eat or not. For example, he loves 'Kettle Corn'. Well, I'm a popcorn fiend, but I can't stand Kettle Corn (lousy knock-off of caramel corn). He also loves boxed mac & cheese, which I think is pretty yucky, anyway. Once in a while he gets some of this kind of food, in addition to the occasional sugary drink--after all, kids need their carbs. However, on the whole he doesn't eat nearly the junk he did before. If he wants a cookie, he can have a cookie, but it's when we're in town and I buy him one of those two-cookie-packs, and he gets to eat one cookie and save the other for later. We do this with chicken nuggets and fries, too. If we're in a fast food place, then he can have that if he wants. Of course likely as not, he's sharing half my salad and leaving half his fries, LOL. But this way it's not in the house and no one else has to deal with it.

By the way, I did make an LC pancake recipe and he absolutely loves it.

Now, though, for the rest of us, the thoughts of eating most of the foods we did previously don't sound tempting at all. I ate one of the little guy's fries one day while we were at a fast food place, and it really was just downright gross! LOL
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 01:44

Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

I thought of something else, too (as if my above post isn't long enough!). There will probably be times when you feel like you need something, like a dessert type food, or some chocolate or what not. Don't be afraid to try some of the legal treats. Most are best saved for after Induction, but there are a few that are Induction safe, and eaten in moderation can be a real life-saver.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 10:02
Registered Member

BF:

Lila- thanks so much! You really made me feel better! I have started induction today after almost a week of just watching my carbs. ( I did lose 4lbs. soing that though) But I realize what I need to do is limit my little one's carbs too. Not too much of course, but get rid of the junk food that is tempting me and not all that good for them anyway! You hit the nail on the head with the popcorn!!!

My boys are 1.5 and 3.5 so it is a little harder to explain why they can't have those cookies and why they can't have popcorn, but they can get over it quickly too. I think the other key is not to take my 3.5 year old grocery shopping with me. He always persuades me to buy the "bad" stuff!

Thanks for the tip on the legal treats. Not sure what those are, though. Would those be the Endulge bars or similar? I am planning to reread the Atkins Induction chapter this afternoon while the kids are napping. Guess I'll find out there!

Thanks again for the much needed support!

Jenny
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 10:07
Anyone?? Bueller?

Stats: 140/135/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 33%

Good luck and welcome to the forum Jenny!!