Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-19-02, 16:47

Plan: atkins
Stats: 325/243/150
BF:
Progress: 47%
Default NPR disses Atkins on 9/19 show

There is a call in talk show on most NPR stations on weekday afternoons that I really enjoy.

Today a doctor was on insisting that the only thing that matters is calories. She wasn't too anti-Atkins. All kinds of callers checked in to talk about diets, esp. Atkins and her answer was always the same: calories are what counts. She said the government guidelines were only guidelines and had perhaps become to iconic. She said she would like to see exercise on the icon. She suggest 60-20-20 daily food in take: I guess she meant 60% carbs -- I didn't catch it.

Very interesting program but the gaall Aveva somebody, a professor doc type somewhere, was pretty dull. No matter what question or comment a caller made, she said calories are what counts.

THOUGHT I'd pass this along. . . I think you can listen to the show online if you go to npr.org
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-20-02, 11:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 219.5/193.5/190
BF:
Progress: 88%
Wink I heard the show too.

I found their tactics typical in that they had the guy who wrote the famous article "What If It's All Been a Big Fat Lie" call in to give his position, then dismissed him after a few minutes so their (in-studio) guest, the typical low-fat type, could have a nice leisurely hour to refute him and restate the conventional wisdom.

Fortunately Colin Powell's presentation to the Congress interrupted halfway through, but in the half-hour of the show that actually aired I was proud of the low-carbing callers who really stated their cases very well. Especially the last one, who used logic to, little by little, practically enticed the guest into admitting, albeit unknowingly, that the low-carb approach is what really makes you lose weight.

All in all, I have noticed SOME retreat on the low-fat front, in that they are now saying it's the calories that matter. Of course they say that if you lose weight on Atkins, it's because you reduced your carb intake. Of course that's nonsense. My grandma has a 1950's tank of a car, complete with fins, and I have a small, economical import. Give her six gallons of gas and give me five and I promise you she'll burn off hers first. Of course, I have the advantage as far as my fat-burning body is concerned!